Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Post Arizona, Florida, Illinois and back

We just returned to Arizona from our beach vacation and visit with family.

Not having any experience with how traveling long distance in the Motorhome would be, we did not plan any of our stops for the first leg of the trip. I figured on driving until I was weary and finding a parking lot where I could fire up the generator and get some rest. With all of the towing mishaps on the first two days, I do not think we would have made our goals anyway.

Driving the first leg

We took I-10 from Phoenix, AZ all the way to Crestview, FL on our way to Miramar Beach, FL. It was a pleasant drive excepting a few stretches of highway in New Mexico, San Antonio, and nearly the entire length between Houston and Louisiana. I would avoid I-10 around Beaumont, TX for the next year at least. Narrow lanes with concrete barriers on top of the yellow and white lines. Very little room for passing, and I drove it at night, in the rain for that extra white-knuckle experience.

Reflecting back on the road conditions for the entire trip, there are no bad roads like big city roads. Even the loops can be in terrible condition. (I am looking at you 1604 in San Antonio)

The mid-bay bridge (FL state road 293) was an adventure to cross while in the middle of the advance storm squalls from tropical storm Cristobal, but the winds were not high enough to cause much swaying during our transit of the bridge ($16 toll for 4 axles).

We ended up resting at Mountain View RV park in Van Horn, TX and at the Louisiana Welcome Center. The former being a friendly and quite RV park just off I-10, and the latter being the only safe place we could find after Houston. Never saw the Mountain View RV park staff, but they answered their phones in the middle of the night, and were super friendly and helpful.

The Florida stay

A pleasant stay at Geronimo Beach RV Park in Miramar Beach Florida was enjoyed by all. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hookups were all in excellent condition and the Motorhome systems functioned as hoped. The only potential issue is that they do not supply a picnic table for each spot. We did not need one, so it was not an issue for us. The Park was close to where my extended family rented a condo, which was a plus.

Some restaurants were open for outdoor seating only, and others allowed indoor seating with plenty of spacing between parties. A few stores had bouncers to keep the crowds inside down, but most did not need them. Business staff were required to wear masks, and customers were encouraged to do so.

Overall our stay in Florida was an excellent experience. We were able to enjoy the beaches while avoiding crowds. No one in the family caught any illness, and we did not feel like we were prevented from any of the activities to which we had been looking forward.

Transiting Northward

The trip north was done in two parts. A short jaunt from Miramar Beach along US Routes and State Roads, all of which were in respectable condition. After a night at my brother's place, it was onward to central Illinois via, I-85, I-65, I-24, & I-57. While they all had spots of construction, none were in terrible shape.

Extended visit in Illinois

My sister was kind enough to allow us to park in their driveway and provided power for an extended visit. Every few days we moved the Motorhome to where we could reach a sewer line cleanout and then moved back to our pad.

Dad came over one fine afternoon and helped install the rear SumoSprings to complete the set. After much consternation on my part over the installation method, the install was considerably easier than imagined. Used the leveling jacks to extend the rear suspension, and let back down on 12-ton jack stands, then implement a bottle jack to lift each set of wheels high enough to remove them, and drop the axle back down a little to create room to install the SumoSprings. (see attachments 1 & 2) During the travels, I did check the torque on the bolts for the SumoSpring installs, and they did need tightening. If you are installing them on your Motorhome, check them every day of travel until they no longer need to be re-tightened.

This portion of the trip was made possible by my employers COVID-19 WFH policy. Inspired by YGoHom & rsansom, I crafted a computer desktop (see attachment #3) and made the front passenger area my office for the duration of our stay. It worked quite well and there was little difference working there over my home office.

Our time in Illinois was pleasant. They just started opening up the state after we arrived and restaurants were allowing inside seating with spacing. Not that we spent much time shopping or eating out in Illinois. The majority of our time was spent with family.

Homeward bound

A desire to see part of the country we had not yet seen inspired us to take "the northern route" back to Arizona. I-57 to I-70 with a jaunt along the US Highways which make up Santa Fe trail in Kansas and Colorado to I-25, down to I-40, and back to I-17 to get home.

Eastern Kansas is beautiful with its rolling hills, but western Kansas and eastern Colorado are dry and desolate. Near desert conditions of which I am familiar in Arizona. The Rockies are a welcome sight when they finally come into view in Colorado. Here is where we had our first difficulty climbing hills. A stretch on I-25 was steep enough we could not climb it any faster than 35 mph. This was matched by another stretch on I-17 climbing out of the Verde Valley before descending back into the Valley of the Sun.

When planning this part of the trip, we picked a KOA in Kansas and a FMCA affiliated park in Santa Fe for our overnight stays. We loved the KOA and all of the families there traveling to see the 4th of July fireworks in the Rockies. The park in Santa Fe was very clean, had a park with live music, and concrete patios, but it really did not feel as welcoming or nice as the KOA. In the future we will look for more KOA parks and see if we have the same experience.

Wrapping it up

On a good day, with few hills and no headwind, we consumed about 9 gallons of gasoline per hour. On a bad day with hard hill climbing and headwinds, we consumed about 10 gallons of gasoline per hour.

Traveling at a max of 63 mph was good advice and proved to be optimal for us. At this speed, the most ground we could travel in a day was 720 miles. In our passenger van, averaging 75 mph, we could travel over 900 miles in a day. With it being 1800 miles one direction to visit family, from here on out we have to plan for 3 days of travel rather than the 2 we were accustom to. Not that this is that much of an issue. We really enjoyed traveling in our home and having it available to us during the entire trip.

Driving through a 40' wide dust-devil on the interstate caused the most dramatic wind buffeting of the entire trip. Passing semi were hardly noticeable. The vehicles with the biggest bow wave were box vans. I had to watch out for them, but with all of the suspension work done, none of it was really an issue.

Driving the Motorhome was a pleasant experience once I had 10 hours of experience and became comfortable with its handling.

After this trip, we are looking forward to the next transit to visit family over Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_154259.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	174180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_165948.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	174181  

Name:	20200617_093943.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	174182  
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Nice trip report! You drove within a half mile of me here in Flagstaff! I agree with your assessments of KOAs...have ran into a few substandard ones (like here in Flagstaff) but generally are well kept, level and have plenty of activities! Welcome home to AZ!

Al
Old 07-11-2020, 03:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Nice report, enjoyed reading.

I will agree about the Box Trucks. I think they are the worst as well.

Did you do anything to your drivers seat to make it more comfortable?
Old 07-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
Nice report, enjoyed reading.

I will agree about the Box Trucks. I think they are the worst as well.

Did you do anything to your drivers seat to make it more comfortable?
I laid a cotton blanket over the seat to keep me from "sticking" to the vinyl. Otherwise they are as comfortable was one cat get when sitting for 4-6 hours a stretch.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I enjoyed your travel report. It's an easy read. Only downside really was the narrow roads during construction. I hate those with the RV. Also, I'm amazed with your distance driving. I don't plan on much more than 300 to 400 absolute max. Those KOA's do seem to be well done.

PS, you were close to us in Panama City.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
PS, you were close to us in Panama City.
We love the Panama City Beach area and plan on being back over there next year. It has been a yearly vacation destination for my siblings and our families for a decade now.

The family we had been renting a home from has experienced growth with in-laws and grandchildren and is no longer renting out their home. This was our first year finding alternate accommodations. My family chose a Motorhome, and my siblings are trying out different condo rentals. We are really happy with how the Motorhome worked out.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

PM sent.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

pretty well stated report. If you are military retired in Van Horne the KOA there gives 10% off to mil/retired mil etc. Nothing special about the place but clean and quiet. Does/did have pretty good restaurant on site also. Generally we stay at KOA's as they do have standards set by the company and can be depended upon to be good. One that we stayed at in Jackson Wy was small and had a side business as a river rafting outfit. Bath rooms were full of sand but still good to use. Last time up that way they were back to being an independent place,

Try to map out side roads around cities ahead of time, can find some nice places doing that and I dont mean the tourist traps like at edged of cities. we took a road off I10 going o Ft Hood in Tx and found that the area around Kingsville is Peach country had lots of roadside stalls and good peaches. The Koa there was also a good one. It was kinda funny we saw the stalls and I was telling wife that they in themselves were recommended as places to visit when traveling and as a result did stop and found out about the peaches.

In az there used to be a lot but most of the farmland has been sold for house sales and a good portion has been lost. If never been there try Apple Annies over by Wilcox, there are still local stands in that area. when going thru NM go up to Angle Fire a good side trip thru cimmaron and Whittington to I25 N. Yes side trip may add time BUT the enjoyment is worth it.

BTW if traveling 10 at night down in so tx, be very careful as deer are abundant and can be dangerous particularly in the Kings Ranch area.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:21 AM   #9
bkg
Winnebago Owner

I enjoyed reading your journey journal. It reminded me of similar long-distance trips trips we have taken in our motorhome.
A few years back I did a 3600 mile round trip that took me on a similar route through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
Knowing our key stops of our trip were a good distance to each, I set my approximate time behind the wheel to 10 hours. Since I am a Good Sam club member, I planned our trip route using the trip planer to seek out overnight/rest stops that were within the 10 hour drive.
That worked out very well and have used that method now everytime we take a trip that has a drive that is longer 12 - 13 hours.
We made some really great memories of those route stops; which makes true the Ralph Waldo Emerson statement "it's not the destination, it's the journey".

Bobby
Old 07-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Intent 29L

I like the office setup. I have the intent 29L, and pulled out the booth dinette, and replaced with a custom installed Ikea sideboard. It required alot of work on the breaker/fuse panel given that the panel was integrated into the dinette. This freed up soooooo much room that I was able to swap the jackknife sofa with a residential loveseat with a twin hide-a-bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	174231   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A43BCDC-BD13-4C38-A232-6BE1021E76E0.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	174232  

ChuckYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We have tentative plans to make a similar trip this Fall - from the East Valley area of Phoenix to Key West, Florida so your post was interesting and informative.

We generally take US 60 and US 70 into New Mexico rather than I-10 and I have never liked driving through El Paso on I-10. We now always take the 375 bypass around the city.

What is the issue with I-10 from Houston to Louisiana? Is it construction all the way? Or only around Beaumont?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
What is the issue with I-10 from Houston to Louisiana? Is it construction all the way? Or only around Beaumont?
I-10 is rough exiting Houston, then mostly clear to Beaumont with construction from Beaumont to the border. The construction zone is not especially rough, but it is exceptionally narrow with concrete barriers sitting on both lines.

Have fun in the keys, as a kid I spent several weeks there over a few years with my grandparents who were wintering half way down the keys. Some of my best childhood memories came from those trips. (and a long story of how the airlines lost a 14 year old)