Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2024, 07:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Experience driving Class A over Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Headed to Fenwick Island Delaware July 6th for a family reunion. We're in Columbia, SC.
I can either go straight up 95 to the DC area then Rt.50 to Fenwick or go 95 to the eastern shore of VA via the CBBT.
Driving a 35f Adventurer towing a Jeep. The cbbt looks daunting. Anyone here have actual experience driving a motorhome through and over the bridge/tunnel?
Old 06-05-2024, 08:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've done it in my 36' Vectra--no issues.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Doesn't the tunnel have an LP restriction?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Doesn't the tunnel have an LP restriction?

It didn't when I went across, but that was a number of years ago. It's possible that we had to turn off the propane for the crossing, but I don't recall for sure.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Easy Peasy

Must turn off propane. Lanes are wide, so no issues. I have traveled many times with a tow dolly. A nice drive up the eastern shore. Recommend 113 just before Salisbury.
A little pricy ( around $30 each way), but worth it not having to worry about the DC craziness. There are wind restrictions (not often), so check with the CBBT website.
eaglelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 06:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the positive feedback. Your propane must be turned off at the tank. I've driven the CBBT several times but this will be the first time driving the MH.
X2 about the DC traffic. I lived in the DC area for 30+ years and made the trip to the beaches countless times. That's why I'm looking at options.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We’ve driven across the Bay Bridge Tunnels many times. When you get to the toll booths, don’t use the EZ pass only lanes. Just tell the attendant you have your propane shut off. You could be fined if you don’t stop to tell them. Rt. 13 is a beautiful drive, just take it easy thru those small towns. Once you get to Pocomoke, take Rt 113 on the right to the Ocean City/Fenwick Island area. Rt. 54 goes from Selbyville to Fenwick Island. I’m not sure where you’re staying, but there’s a couple of tight turns in Selbyville. I’m sure you could make them though. Enjoy your travels.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We've driven across the CBBT many times in a 33ft MH towing with dolly and 4 down. As long as it's not too windy, it's not a problem and a nice ride. If you're lucky you'll get to see some of the US Navy's finest ships. As others have mentioned, check for wind warnings and shut off your propane tanks before crossing. If there is a storm or heavy winds, wait a day or 2 if you have the time.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 06:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhawk View Post
We've driven across the CBBT many times in a 33ft MH towing with dolly and 4 down. As long as it's not too windy, it's not a problem and a nice ride. If you're lucky you'll get to see some of the US Navy's finest ships. As others have mentioned, check for wind warnings and shut off your propane tanks before crossing. If there is a storm or heavy winds, wait a day or 2 if you have the time.
I forgot all about the wind warnings @delhawk! We stayed at the KOA near the entrance to the toll plaza one time and just made it before they upgraded the wind advisory.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a