Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2024, 12:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Gas Class A Friendly Gas Stations

We have recently purchased a 2023 Adventurer 35F. We will be taking it on our first long journey this fall. We will also be using a tow dolly with a Hyundai Santa Cruz on it.
We will be going from the Dallas, TX area up I-35 towards Rochester, MN and then on to Green Bay, Wi and then the long way back to Dallas.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any Class A friendly gas stations around? We used some truck stops with our Class C without any real problems. This new rig is longer, and I don't really want too many problems trying to get gas.
Ret. Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Our favorites are Pilot/Flying J that list as "RV Friendly" on their website. We have their App on our phones and search for those. Those are the ones with separate RV pumps.

Plus, we use Gas Buddy to find stations of all kinds and then use Google Sat View to look at the pumps, the locations, the entrances and exits, etc.

We do that research usually the night before taking off each day. So, we have a good idea where we're going to be stopping. We fill up when we get to half a tank unless we know exactly where we'll be filling up from previous experience.

We also try to have a back up location in case when we arrive it looks like a death trip... so to speak.

Have a great trip... on your way to Rochester, MN be sure plan a 100 mil detour to stop by the Winnebago factory in Forest City, IA to get things fixed or at least take the factory tour. It's very informative.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Used to be my biggest anxiety producer. It gets easier with practice. Don't even really think about it much anymore.
As Paul said, keep it in the upper half of the gas gauge.
We have found the national truck stop chains to have some of the worst access, particularly Love's.
Look for pumps that run parallel to the building vs. perpendicular.
Look for stations you can drive around the back to pull into the outside pumps and angle the rig so you are pointing towards the left if they do run perpendicular and you have to make a left turn when leaving the pump to exit.
Ironically, more remote and rural stations are often set up better for large and towing vehicles...not a surprise I guess.
Don't fret about the lowest PRICE. Spending a few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind of a full tank.
Be patient...don't try to make something work you're unsure about. Just drive on. You have more than a half tank left...250 - 300 miles.
Pick an interstate exit with multiple stations so you have multiple options.
By and large, the old school chains like Conoco, Shell, and Chevron have served us best.
Practice both for real and in your car as you drive by to figure out which stations would work in your rig towing learning what to look for when you're doing it for real.
Safe travels and have fun!
Old 05-31-2024, 07:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info

Thanks for you advise. We have tried some of the Pilot and Love's in our Class "C" and they seemed to work ok. Not a lot of room to move around in some of them.
We have already scheduled our factory tour when we stop in Iowa. Looking forward to it.
Will look at the Pilot/Flying J app and see about the RV friendly spots.
Yes we do no like going below 1/2 tank. By then we both need to get out and stretch our legs.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We will pull up a satellite and street view on Google Maps to get a general idea of whether we can fit or not. In a few extreme cases, we have parked down the street and walked up to check it out. It paid off due to construction going on around the backside where we had planned on pulling around to get out.

We also fill up when we get to half a tank. I try not to stop for the night with out having filled up shortly before.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

When towing, we did the Google search first to look for space and how things work.
but it is also very important to not be in a rush. That sometimes means we need to do a loop around the back of a station to get the right way.
NEVER do that until somebody has walked around back to see it is an open shot!
There may be a broken down truck or one unloading back there, so LOOK first!

When doing the Google view, don't forget to check the awning height as well as driving space! We favor Wal-mart Sam's for value but they can be hard to get in the old ones or very busy due to lower prices!

We sure are enjoying travel WITHOUT an RV!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ditto on Google satellite and street view. We've had great luck at Costco, especially when getting there in the morning. Out west Maverick has RV friendly pumps.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We drive about 7500 miles each spring through fall in a 36 ft dp with a toad and generally stop for fuel at any place available.
We have never had a problem getting in or out but several times we get some extreme looks and questions about "how did you get in here".
We just tell them "ya gotta be a little bit crazy"
dickb
Old 06-05-2024, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The tow dolly is going to be a scary bit at first because you can't back up to correct your direction. We towed with a tow dolly for 5 years and never had to back up at a service station.
It's not going to be a problem, We've lived through several "go arounds"
dick
Old 06-05-2024, 05:27 PM   #10
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret. Hooker View Post
We have recently purchased a 2023 Adventurer 35F. We will be taking it on our first long journey this fall. We will also be using a tow dolly with a Hyundai Santa Cruz on it.
We will be going from the Dallas, TX area up I-35 towards Rochester, MN and then on to Green Bay, Wi and then the long way back to Dallas.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any Class A friendly gas stations around? We used some truck stops with our Class C without any real problems. This new rig is longer, and I don't really want too many problems trying to get gas.
As many others have noted, Flying J, Pilot, TA , and Even many Loves have worked well for us in our Class A and Class C motorhomes over 35 years and 250,000 miles. Gas Buddy is a great app, we also use the Pilot and Love’s apps.
A bit more challenging east of the Mississippi but try out the apps folks have mentioned.

Good luck and enjoy your coach
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

In our new 60 years of RV ownership, we have had 3 diesel RV's--a 40' Winnebago Adventurer, a 42 foot Holiday Rambler, and Current Winnebago Via, on the Sprinter Chassis. We have used the "big truck" pumps if there is no line and an empty lane. We are careful to pull ahead immediately after filling up. The pump nozzles are larger, and the flow faster, but it works.

If it is Sprinter alone --then no issue, but we often tow a Lincoln MKX or an 18' boat, so we are in the 50 or so foot length, and have as many challenges. (although we can back up when the boat is being towed it is not easy in a crowded station)

As others we look for a variety of stations, and which side of the street, the amount of traffic etc. With only about 24 gallons in the Sprinter, and getting 14 to 16 miles per gallon, we wait until fairly low--sometimes the off brands, or standard filling stations are more accessible. There are a fair number of "service stations" with 3 to 5 diesel pumps around the back or on the "other side". Many of these we have used before, and have them marked in our "Exit" Guide.

We also use Allstays RV Camp and RV App. This often outlines on the road ahead where the closest RV friendly service station is located. There is also a "truck and Travel Plaza" Allstays app. This has more detail on the truck stops.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I have downloaded the Love's and Pilot app to my phone. I have also used the satellite imaging to check out the stops that are on our route. I think I have found several that will work for us.
I am prepared to do the go around or even change stations.
I do try to stop when I get to the half tank level. This old man needs to get out and stretch his legs.

Tags
class a, gas