Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2024, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Getting Around During Glacier National Park Visit

We are planning a trip to glacier national park in late August and want to stay at the West Glacier RV Park. Problem is we have a 2018 View and can't figure out how to get from the West Glacier RV Park to Apgar visitor center to pick up the Red Bus for Going-To-The-Sun trip. Appears there is no shuttle, parking is difficult, and we don't feel like walking 2 1/2 miles from the west entrance visitor center to Apgar. Any suggestions?
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 06:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Seem to remember the red buses would come to the KOA, but you have to be staying there. Not a bad place...also think you could grab a taxi from the village and that the NP Lodges might also run a pay shuttle that departs from the village, maybe the Amtrak station? Would think you could disconnect and get to the visitor center first thing in the morning and find parking. Have fun! Was colder than hell last June, particularly up at Logan Pass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230619_084745.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	189549  
Old 08-10-2024, 04:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I thought about taxi or Uber. Hope they have a park pass and can get us to Apgar. We will try it. We will dress warm.

Doug & Jane Herzog
Old 08-10-2024, 06:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Blackfoot Indian tribe runs sightseeing bus's too. Theirs are 20 passenger school bus's, inclosed, heated/air conditioned.
The red bus is neither heated or air-conditioned and when the top cover is opened, when it rains you get wet.before the driver can find a spot to park and replace the tarp cover.,
I didn't think about that until we met a red bus full of passengers at the visitors center at the top. They left the West side in 70° sunny weather, at the top it was 40° and raining, driver didn't stop to replace cover. The ones we spoke with were cold, wet and miserable.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 04:18 PM   #5
2023 Newbie

I visited Glacier just 3 weeks ago. I parked my 31 ft Winnebago in the visitors center parking lot. I took the shuttle all the way to the east end of the park and returned via shuttle back to Apgar visitors center. The elapsed time was roughly 6 hours with all the stops. I arrived at the park before 8 am. Absolutely beautiful ride.
Dionmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 04:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If you drive in early, parking is pretty easy at Apgar. They have RV spots and plenty of spaces. If your tour is later in the day, parking will be hard, and I don’t know if I would try that. I would check with one of the local outfitters and see if they have a shuttle. The rafting company right there may be able to help you out. Definitely stick with the red bus. You can’t beat it for a tour on Going to the Sun road. If you have an option ask for Jammer Cass. He was awesome.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 03:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Absolutely great responses. Thank you so much.

Doug