Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking for Boondockers friend/group OR. WA.

Hello all,

I am brand new to motorhomes and boon-docking.

I am looking to hopefully follow or join someone or group that are experienced boon-dockers in the northwest Oregon and southwest Washington areas.

I have lived my whole life in major cities obeying laws, following rules so I have some trepidation about camping in the complete wilderness.

And so far, I have only taken my 32 foot Winnebago to official (legitimate) camping spots.

But I want to try Boon Docking… I just need a “primer”, someone with experience to get me going.

Not even sure if “Boondockers” have groups or if what I am hoping to find is contrary to the idea of Boon Docking.

Anyway, I just thought I would post this to find out.

This would be for the Pacific Northwest, Portland, Oregon area, northern Oregon and southern Washington.

And I would be willing to pitch in for fuel and/or food in exchange for this guidance.

Also, I would be happy to share references (people I know at church and other friends) who will vouch for my character. (Smile)

Thanks in advance (smile)
Tekman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Not exactly what you are asking for... but here are some options for finding Boondocking locations:

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/ - Works like Harvest Host but it's folks that welcome boondockers on their property. It's a service you pay to join and is part of the Harvest Host company after a recent purchase.

The Escapees Club has a special boondocking section called Xscapers. Here's a link: https://xscapers.com/finding-great-boondocking-spots/

It's not in the Northwest, but FMCA has a southwest chapter that embraces boondocking and exploring: https://cuatroestados.com/
Old 08-19-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You can start out in your own driveway or at a local city park or fairgrounds that has dry camping sites available. Fill the fresh water and propane tanks, pack what you think you'll need and make do best you can for 3-4 days. Keep a list of need/want/would be nice to have items as you figure stuff out. Do all your cooking, dish washing, showering, etc. in the MH and you'll find out pretty quick how long before your grey water tank fills up.

Now you'll have a better handle on things and be ready for a few longer "learning" trips to the woods, and you'll have most of what you need on board and handy. We started out this way with our 5er years ago and just had to adapt it to the MH.