Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2023, 01:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Polson to West Glacier to Calgary

Hi Friends:
We're in beautiful Polson, MT right now.
Heading to the West Glacier KOA and then on to Canada. The title says Calgary, but our first stop will actually be in Cardston, AB.
Has anyone made the trip or parts of it and would you have some input on the routes?
Looks like my first leg would be either side of the lake on 93 or 35. I am thinking 93 to alt 93 around Kalispell to 2.
For the second leg - google has us taking the Going to the Sun Road!
But, it looks like 2 into Browning and then maybe 89 to the border before picking up Canada 2.
Appreciate any help or insight you can provide.
We are super stoked and they just opened up the entire length of the GTTSR!
If any one plans to travel to Polson - high marks for the Polson Motor Coach Resort/KOA.
You can see God everywhere!
Safe travels...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PMCR.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	186355  
Old 06-18-2023, 09:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In West Glacier now and figured I would answer my own post in case anybody searched this topic going forward. We took 93 to alt 93, reunited with 93 to 40 to 2. No worries at all.
Also figured I would bump this up again to see if anyone has some input on the route to Cardston.
One note for any 2023 travelers to Glacier NP. Going to the Sun road has massive construction along Lake McDonald for 9 miles. The road is rougher than any of the 4WD routes we took in Moab or Borrego Springs! Might want to consider staying in East Glacier.
Thanks and safe travels
Old 06-18-2023, 04:17 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm not much help, but 20 years ago when we were up there, headed to Calgary we went through Browning and on to Lethbridge. I can't remember the route we took. We were pulling a Nash 16T travel trailer with a Nissan Xterra.

But all these years later my wife and I fondly remember that part of the trip. Browning was in the Reservation and we remember sitting at a traffic light with 5 or 6 young people riding bare back on huge horses were next to us in the next lane. And they rode off and into the Dairy Queen drive-thru.

Then we stopped in Lethbridge for the night and went into town to pick up pizza near the University. We were just a short way into Canada but everything seemed so foreign and different. We picked up groceries at a store in a Mall and all the food seemed unique.

It was our 2nd year camping and we went everywhere without reservations and just stopped anywhere that looked interesting. Made real memories everywhere we went.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Paul - seems like my post jogged some wonderful memories of a different era and time. We enjoyed reading it!
Seen a few Alberta license plates here and will see if we can catch some of them outside for some tips. Will also give the campground a call.
Feels like ages ago since we ran into you in Tucson.
One similarity between here and there - temps are 20 below average and it's colder than hell!
Safe travels...
Old 06-20-2023, 11:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like you’ve already done the Going-to-Sun Road but for anyone else reading, it’s not recommended for large vehicles even in good conditions - it’s very winding, narrow, and height restricted. Still definitely worth driving with your toad/tow vehicle.

I’d stay on US 2 to Browning. At Browning, you can take US 89 north, but be advised the stretch between Browning and St. Mary is scenic, but also pretty narrow and winding in places. A better option can be MT 464 north - it’s tagged as a “secondary highway” but at least as of 5 years ago was a really good road with a lot less curves so much more RV friendly. It connects with US 89 north of St Mary. If you need a place to stay on the east side of the park I really enjoyed the St Mary KOA right next to the east gate on the Sun Road, you’d have to backtrack a few miles south on 89 if you take 464 but it’s worth the time if just for the view of St Mary Lake.

From then on, US 89 turns into AB 2 at the border, bringing you into Cardston, that’s all a good highway.

You might want to leave Browning with a full tank, there’s not much for fuel between there and Cardston.
bjhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thx BJ. Your first post was a very helpful one for me! 464 is the consensus and we'll take that route from 2 to 89. Will respond to this thread from Cardston to confirm for future travelers.
Won't be able to stay at the East Glacier KOA, but will head down to Many Glacier from Cardston. Super stoked about spending the summer in a foreign country!
What's the opposite of a snow bird? Sun bird? Mosquito bird? Heat and humidity bird?
Old 06-25-2023, 07:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Depending upon your schedule when you visit Calgary the Calgary Stampede may be happening, another Calgary must is to visit Heritage Park, there you can take a trip on a paddle wheeler or ride a steam engine and visit the various exhibits. A great place to visit.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

So, anyone making the trek from west glacier to Carway border crossing: 2 to 464 to 89 is the way to go. Probably best way to east Glacier, too. Just go south on 89.
And you're right, there are massively long stretches with no services. We did gas up in Browning.
Waterton Lakes and Many Glaciers are worth your time. Cardston is a good place to get to both if you are traveling further into Canada.
The amenities and infrastructure of Waterton vs. Glacier reminded us of the difference between the US and Canada sides of Niagara Falls if you know what I mean.
Canada roads up through Red Deer were beautiful. Not so much since then as we went further north then east.
Did check out the Heritage Park in Calgary. That kind of park seems to be a thing up here.
This may be my best pic over the last 11 months in Many Glaciers.
Safe travels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230625_112712.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	186624