Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2024, 12:50 PM   #1
2013 Winnebago Sunstar30T

2013 Winnebago Itasca Sunstar hitch electrical connection

It doesn’t appear that there is any power coming from my motorhome hitch plug to my towd vehicle. Have a 6 way round plug with a 4 way flat adapter on my motorhome. The jeep trailhawk has a 7 way round connection with only 4 contacts with the standard color wiring. Is there any fuses or breakers either in the fuse panel or under the dash that gives power to the hitch. I use the patriot breaking system in the car and breaks seem to work with it.
DiSegna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 10:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings DiSegna,
On the lower-right hand side of page 6-11 of your Owner's Manual, it appears that the Chassis and House 12 VDC circuit breakers are located in a common panel. I would assume your 30 amp trailer connector power would be there.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-19-2024, 04:03 AM   #3
Just Trying to Help

DiSegna-

First off, welcome to winnieowners!

Second, you should add a signature to your user profile. It usually includes the year, make and model of your coach, but can include other information. A signature is appended to each post. To create/edit a signature, click on the "User CP" link in the orange bar at the top, then click on "Edit Signature."

According to the owner's manual for your coach, it came from the factory with a 7-pin hitch connector. If you could post a picture of your coach's connector, that should confirm (or not) which connector is there now.

According to the wiring diagrams for your coach (follow the links that begin here), the pin on the connector gets its 12-volt power from the circuit Winnebago labels as "UUJ." The circuit breaker for UUJ is on a panel to the left of the steering column, about at shin level, the right-most breaker on the panel in the third row down from the top. The label on the panel reads "TRAILER BATTERY." See if that circuit breaker has popped out/tripped.

By the way, is your Sunstar on a Ford or a Workhorse chassis?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013SunstarUnderDashCBPanel.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	189664  
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Team

I’m not exactly sure why you are asking about this but I suspect that you assume your towed vehicle should be getting a charge from your motorhome while towing, and it’s not.

While trailer 7-pin connectors, such as the one on your motorhome, have power fed to trailers it’s not generally automatically setup to be used by vehicles towed behind a motorhome. To use this power to charge the battery in your Jeep whomever set up the Toad for towing would have to installed a charge line to your Toad battery or an auxiliary charger that utilizes that function. You can add this function to your setup after the fact now if you wish.

There are many threads about this on IRV2.com. Here’s a link to one of them.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/do-y...er-322918.html
Old 08-19-2024, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

They cut from 6 to 4 to 7and then back to four! I would not expect charging when cutting it down as far as four wires!
Four usually only gets the very basics.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 08:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

As a place to start, perhaps some info on what "power" you are expecting to get to the towed vehicle and what do you want it to do?
With four wires, the "normal/standard" would only be right/left, taillights and ground!

Can you give us some idea of what tests you have done for this power to get to the connector on the RV? But from what you have told us about the connections, there is no way to get more functions to the towed vehicale without more wiring!

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	189665
Old 08-20-2024, 09:01 AM   #7

Circuit breaker was good. Getting power to the hitch. The previous owner installed a small round 6 pin adapter. He claims the 7 pin is not working. Need to get it checked out. I do have a meter so I will see how to do so.
Old 08-20-2024, 09:06 AM   #8

Just trying to get the basic setup. On my trip home it was somewhat working with the 4 way plug. The left blinker was blinking the right light on the towed vehicle. No left blinker. Having the car checked to see if that is were the issue is.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

OK, sounds like a tought job when we are following somebody who may not have had all the info/skills he needed. So he went around the real problem of fixing the 7 pin!

I'm guessing there is a small mistake in what you tell us you have on your profile? Do you really have a 2013 Sunstar 30T?
No big thing until we try to look for drawings and find no Sunrise! I figure the only people making mistakes are the humans among us. So you and I are okay on that part!!

What's your thoughts after looking at what the other folks may have done? Did they tear out enough wiring that fixing the 7 pin is not worth the look? Or do you see maybe wanting to have all the 7 pins working at some point?

What may have happended is that they could not find a set of fuses for the 7-pin! But I think there will be enough folks with near the same RV or enough drawing info to get the 7 pin working. We never know until we try but I would guess that is possible- -if they did not cut or mess with the wiring too much!!

Reason I might think fixing the 7 pin is the way it is wired that may confuse some folks. It is not just a simple fuse/breaker feeding the wire but there is a relay fed by a breaker down near the driver's left foot. If they tried to fix the 7 pin and did not know about the relay, they may have given up too easy!

If you just want the lights for stop, turn and taillights the smaller set of wires may be good enough. But if you want to have power from the RV to the towed car, you may really need all 7 pins!

We don't get a lot of info on the chassis wiring things but there is a relay somewhere that feeds that 7 pin!
Some of the other folks who have an RV like yours may be able to point to that?

I like to help figure these things but I like to let you tell me what you need! But that is where we need you to tell us how and what you want to do!
Sometimes we don't know what until we get started??

Click these snips for better view!

Name:	tr brkr.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	189674

Name:	brkr id.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	189675

This is what the pins on the 7 pin should give you!

Name:	f RV plug.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	189676
Old 08-21-2024, 07:46 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for helping me with my electrical issue. Checked out the wiring today and found an issue with the 6 point hitch connector on the motorhome. Loose wire. The previous owner had added a 6/4 wire connector and used the factory wiring from the 7 connector. Another issue the company that installed the tow plates and wiring had two wire crossed. All done and ready to go again.

Tags
electrical, itasca, winnebago