Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2024, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question TPMS for 2024 Micro Minnie

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tire pressure monitoring system that is relatively easy to install and use for our travel trailer? The dealer said our trailer is prepped for Tire Linc. I am not sure that that means. Has anyone had this system or have recommendations for a different one? Thanks in advance!
mj2nco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I know how mindbending the whole idea of starting with TPMS can be!
But that leads me to suggest doing some thinking about your personal use before going to the shopping part!
Lots of small details may change the options you want to shop. One to think about is what basic details you want in the TPMS system. That can vary, depending on what you may have in the tow vehicle.
Does your car/truck, etc. have tire monitors on the wheels now? If it does and they seem to do the basics of warning you of low tires, you may want to skip over some of the sets which include sensors for those wheels?
Seems maybe too basic idea but how many wheels you need to cover is a big one when shopping.
Skipping over the sets with six sensors may be a good idea if you only need to add protection for two trailer tires! OR? Do you want to have one set to monitor all wheels tow and towed on one screen?
If I were to go to trailer towing with my current car, I would only add the sensors to the trailer as the car seems good enough and no need to add to the expense and effort of changing out what is already there! If only shopping for two or four wheels, that cuts the chase as well as the expense and time/effort to get more wheels set.

Basic idea is that you will get a set of sensors with ID on each and you set which ID is on which wheel when programming the monitor. That leaves a set for four wheels is the same for four trailer wheels or four car wheels. But maybe you only need it for two trailer wheels?

Getting a real recommendation for more specific TPMS may be hard to come by as they are changing so much , with lots of new systems every day!
On that I might suggest going with one from a source where you know you can send it back if it isn't any good! The system may be good but if the directions are not usable, I don't want to keep it as programming is part of the big two for me.
If the folks who wrote the directions are not good, it gets really hard to sort out what is needed, so I need to see the directions before deciding and that is one thing you are not likely to find if you order the system!

Second big thing, to me, is how to mount the sensor on the wheels. There is a wide range of thoughts on which is best and that gets into the personal choice thing again.
Mounted inside the tire can be more secure if you feel somebody taking the sensor may be a problem or if the solid mounting is a big concern. Putting them IN the tire does make them safe and solid but it also makes them a real pain to get there or get them out if needed! If the battery goes down, I don't like them inside where it has to go to a tire shop to fix!
But I'm okay with thinking nobody will steal mine where I park, so letting me put them on the outside where I can deal with them is better for me.

Just some hints on what I feel is important to me but I also can't give any brand specifics because what I used is no longer on the market. The market has moved on and I would have to do the search over if going that route currently!!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 11:38 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

According to this video "prepped for Tire Linc" means that the mount is already provided and wired in, you will need to purchase the monitor and sensors separately, about 300 bucks for a set with 4 sensors.

I'm not familiar with Tire Linc but I think you have to use an app on your phone to actually monitor the tires. I have an Eeztire monitor, and mount the controller to the driver side window where I can see it. The display cycles through all 10 sensors displaying psi and temp for about 5 seconds each. It also runs around $300.
Old 06-23-2024, 12:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I bought a Tire Linc since my unit came prepped. Garbage. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I even replaced the batteries to no avail. Highly unreliable for me.
Old 06-23-2024, 02:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Back to personal opinions and we all have one?
I'm cynical about some points on that plan as it seems to be way more expensive and do less than others I see.
I admit it! I do not like my phone and I'm really slow to buy into having more things in one box than I need!

I only use the TPMS when I'm driving and I never want to look at my phone while doing that. That makes me want a totally separate setup that sets on the dash of the RV and never gets near needing my phone. I go way too many places that my phone doesn't work and the sorry thing is prone to quitting at any time they want to make a change, so I avoid adding things I don't need on my phone!

I'm not a big fan of Amazon as a starter but when I see sets that seem to have the basics and in the 50-60 dollar range, I get shy about tying into "ready-made" that costs too much!
But as a hedge against buying into something I don't like, Amazon returns do work for me!
My shopping for new stuff leads me first to local stores like Best-Buy, Walmart, etc. where I can see the details and find what seems right, then if the price is better I look around at online and may take a chance on getting something that doesn't work but that's okay if I'm not in a rush and can send it packing!
Old 06-23-2024, 03:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Lots of great info and food for thought-thank you!
mj2nco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 08:19 PM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2nco View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tire pressure monitoring system that is relatively easy to install and use for our travel trailer? The dealer said our trailer is prepped for Tire Linc. I am not sure that that means. Has anyone had this system or have recommendations for a different one? Thanks in advance!
I recommend the InnoTech Tire Pressure Monitor System, check them out at https://www.innotechrv.com/
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 12:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2nco View Post
Tireminder.com. The Best IMO. Been using it for 7 years or so. Great technical support, free batteries for life, and monitors the towed too. It uses Valve-stem sensors and works great! Larry, 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

As a Tire Design Engineer I selected TireTraker for my RV. I like it's Lifetime warranty.

"External" systems screw on to the end of your valve stem. Yes there is one issue with any brand. You should have metal "bolt-in" valve stems. I have heard that Discount Tire will install bolt in stems at a reasonable price.
A competent retailer will tell you it is best to have bolt-in stems.

Programing is a one-time thing. I marked each sensor with silver marker "RF", "LF" etc. That way I simply unscrew the sensor when I am parking the RV for weeks between trips.
I am the only person running a direct comparison of two systems and I have published the data on my blog RVTiresafety Net
Old 07-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

A point that may seem small but gets really large at times?
If you've bought any electronics lately and from online, you have likely found one of the big downsides to many is the lack of instructions or instructions that are written in a way that is not much help!
For various different purposes, we use a lot of the small temperature controllers that we can get in the less than ten dollar range. That is something that I can only find online and I often order them without being able to see it first. One of the biggest problems is not that the item is faulty, but that I have a really hard time finding how to make them work!
Compared to a temp controller, the TPMS is much more difficult to find how to set all the basic points!
When first buying into TPMS, just the simple idea of what settings you need can be a big question and it may vary with what RV and how you use it.
That is where you will need good instructions, if it is not something you know about and have used. Every brand and type will have specific needs for programming and that can be a really big issue if we buy something that we can't return!