Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2024, 08:13 AM   #1
Vectra2020

2004 Vectra 40KD windshield washer pump not working

Hello,
I am currently travelling across Canada, and yesterday, in the Prairies there are tons of bugs right now, tried to use my windshield washers, not functioning. Stopped for the night, thought the pump was stuck, took a small hammer and gently tapped on the outer casing. Cover came off and started leaking, removed the whole reservoir, and tried to install the cover again. I took a test light to see if I have any power to the pump, looks like nothing.
In the meantime I have no washers, thankfully I also have along with me a water bucket and long squeegee.
Is there a fuse for the smartwheel washer button? And, where do I look to find a replacement pump/ reservoir for this MH?
Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Frank
Vectra2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We can get the info for the Winnebago added part and chase it back as far as the Freightliner but not beyond without their drawings. Perhaps you can get lucky and find a problem in this portion?
For the wire ID, there should be ID stamped near the ends of the wires.
This chart can be used to find the "from" and "to" of the wires which can lead to figuring which is power?
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	189288
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

MJ ID says feed circuit!

Click this snip to see better. Info is from sheet 6 of this drawing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_144986.pdf
Click image for larger version

Name:	washer.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	189289

Since MJ also looks to provide power to the wiper motor, does that work as an indication MJ is good to that point?

Possible corrosion at the washer plug????
Remember to turn key on, etc. when testing!!

Good luck on the search and hope that is a starter!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 09:31 AM   #3
Vectra2020

Hi Richard,
I checked the pump, after I snapped on the cover again, and the ohmmeter states it is good. Put the pump back into the reservoir, and filled it with water, no leaks, so I reinstalled the reservoir. This brings me back to the power source, from the smart wheel controls. Everything else works, wipers, momentary swipe, etc, just the washer button exhibits no response. Wondering if there is a fuse located in the fuse panel, will check that later today. The prairie winds have picked up immensely, so I might leave it until we get to our final destination on Monday, I do have a water bucket and squeegee to clean along the way.
Thank you so much for your kind response,
Cheers,
Frank
Vectra2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, that sounds kind of like it puts it into the Freightliner/chassis wiring and we get little help there.
My thought is that if the power is getting to the wiper motor, it seems likely to get the last bit to the washer motor. But if we go with the idea that the switch you mention has to complete that path, we get into deep water!!

But if/ when you get back to this, it may be worthwhile to look at that wire at the washer plug. Is this a setup that you can only spray the washer when the wipers are also running?
Just as a possible last shot, if you watched the voltage on the connection at the washer as the wipers are on, it seems you should see that voltage also at the washer as they appear to be so closely connected.
What one might hope for is just something as simple as corroded plug that needs cleaned. I'll do most anything to avoid taking it to a dealer to fix some small item!

But I also have to break down and do it at times! If you get into the wiring up to the steering wheel, that may be the only way out!

Be safe and enjoy!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 01:56 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Interesting problem, as it's on the fringe between what Freightliner provides (the Smartwheel, chassis wiring etc) and what Winnebago installs (windshield, wiper etc.) You may find yourself bouncing between Winnebago customer help and the Freightliner help desk 1-800-FTL-HELP.

When it comes to your chassis fuses, see the Freightliner Chassis Drivers guide. The various fuse block layouts are at the end, around section 9. Most of these blocks are in the bay at the front right under the driver's seat, and a couple (possibly of interest) are on the front firewall where the gen pulls out.

I could not upload the complete doc, too large to attach to a message (3+ MB) but I did attach a copy of one of the fuse blocks. Hopefully you have a copy in your docs that came with your Vectra.

Look at the block from page 9.5. There is a 25a fuse marked "wiper" on the right. Now, where it gets interesting... I found one old thread on the Inet where the user posted that the fuse above, labeled IGN1 10a, is actually mislabeled and is the one that powers the windshield fluid pump. This is the only hit I found, so can't confirm if it's right or not.

Incidentally, if you do need to get into wiring etc, the Smartwheel control module is really hidden. In that fuse bay at the front under your driver seat, the first bay on the driver side, there is a panel with a lot of push-button 12v fuses. That whole panel is a hinged door... if you remove the several screws on the right side of the panel the whole thing swings towards the front. Behind that panel you have a snakepit of cables, but also in there is the Smartwheel control module, your keyless entry control module, the original Surround sound system, and a lot of relays for things like the power locks on the bays, dash AC, power mirrors etc. The layout is on pg 74 of our wiring guide.

Hope this helps...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuse block.pdf (35.8 KB, 0 views)
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My first step would be to determine if the smart-wheel button is indeed sending a signal. I suspect that signal is sent to a relay that provides 12v+amperage to the pump motor. Only FL knows for sure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote