Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Minnie Bedroom Crank-Out Window Craziness

Another Crazy story for my RV. A couple weeks ago, I noticed our twin Atwood/Excel crank-out bedroom windows were flopping in the breeze while the rig was parked in our driveway.

I assumed the rollers had come out of the track. There are many many videos showing some cool tricks to get the rollers back in place without removing the whole window. But my rollers are FINE!

My problem is the metal brackets that's attached to the window (where the rollers go) *completely* separated from the glass... on BOTH sides at the same time. I wondered if there had been a break in, it was so weird. See the pics; the adhesive appears to have just failed on both sides. So weird!

I was able to get the metal channels off and am planning to just scrape off as much of the adhesive as possible and try to re-attach with some Auto Glass polyurethane adhesive I got on Amazon for $20. Thinking If I clean off the old adhesive as much as I can, clean the window really well, run a big bead of the new black stuff and try to bungee the window closed to hold it for a day or two, hopefully will be fine.

I tried to find the little (16.5") L-shaped metal channels online so I wouldn't have to scrape the old glue out... no luck!

Anyone heard of this failure before? We did have a few hot days (90deg is really hot in Seattle) but both sides letting go at once seems weird. That said, the RV is almost 20 years old so maybe it was time.

Please let me know if anyone thinks I'm being stupid or has a better idea!
-pete

Bottom pic is how I've tried to get the goo off. Lower bracket one is after my hacking with razor blades and screwdrivers. Top is as it came off the rollers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	189902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	189903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	189904  
spaceboy_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've mentioned it many times but this is another use for a tool which I find super useful around anything that involves glue, adhesives or caulk!

One of the big deals on RV is keeping the sealers/caulk in good shape and that often means removing the old!
The old stuff is often hard and it can get into lots of work if we don't use the right tools.
There are dozens of options on this tool. I was gifted one of a name brand and it turned out so useful it only last for a short time. But it was so handy and versatile that I had to have another to finish the job! So I went for the cheap one and it has lasted twice as long!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...0&from=/search

Consider that this thing will remove caulk in half the time as well as you won't be gouging the surface near as much and I call it a winner for most any job that needs a putty knife or razor blade knife! It is one safe item to make those small plunge cuts like for adding an outlet in sheetrock where you may not be sure what wiring you may find behind the wall!
It does it with thousands of small nicks instead of the big push manual action takes!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much, Richard! I actually have two of that tool! Had never considered it for dried cement removal. I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful reply!

-pete
spaceboy_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window