Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2024, 04:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2021 solis 59px water leak

We purchased this Solis 59px with about 30k miles on it. I took it out this weekend for the first trip without antifreeze in it. I was running it off city water for a few hours and didn't notice any leaks. The next day I decided to fill the fresh tank. I over filled it, but the over fill drain worked as intended. The next day, I noticed water leaking out around where the low point drains are located. I checked and realized that the dripping water was not coming from the low point drains and instead was leaking out from under the van above the grey water tank. I don't think the leak is coming from the grey water as it had no smell and also we used the grey tank for the previous day with city water and had no problems.

I lifted the back seat where the truma is located and I could see water pooling where the wall on the driver's side meets the floor of the van. I dumped all the fresh water out of the system including the hot water heater and tried to soak up as much of the water from under the seat as possible.

I was hoping there would be some way to access the fresh tank and that I might be able to trace the leak myself to see if it is something as simple as a loose hose or hose clamp.

I don't see any way to access the area under the floor behind the driver's seat where, I am assuming the fresh tank lives. I see a hatch between the driver and passenger seat which is what I guess is a fresh tank access hatch but no way to get to the hoses that lead to the tank..

I find this all a bit frustrating since I just bought this thing. Also I ride motorcycles and I am able to find tons to videos online with instructions on how to fix my bike so I can at least make an attempt or try to have a better idea of what is happening before I take it to the shop, and with the camper van,I find nothing about DIY repairs. I don't trust RV shops as they have tried to rip me off before when I owned a travel trailer, so I would like to at least try to have an idea of what is going on before I take it in and openy wallet to those guys.

If anyone has an suggestions or advice I would really appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240331_114118.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	188702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240331_114026.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	188703  

Name:	20240404_180340.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	188704  
Syohannan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

One of the things that came to mind was since I overfilled the tank, perhaps the overfill line that runs over to the rear passenger side has a crack or loose fitting.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I feel your pain and yes, I also agree with not wanting it to go to a shop!
But there is one good thing about Winnebago and they do try to post up lots of info to help us sort things like this.
For plumbing there are two sites to know about.
Plumbing, older style line drawings that can help at times:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

But I use this interactive parts catalog far more as it lets me sort down to what part, plumbing , electrical, etc and then go to drawings where I can "look through walls" and turn it all kinds of ways to get a better closer view.
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It takes some learning curve but it is great for getting a good idea of where and what we bought!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Looking at this, I'm not seeing the same as you describe! You may have a far better way to tell what you are seeing than I do. Drawings are a help but not a total solution!
I see the fresh tank as being near center of passenger side standing upright. The overflow appears to come out the top and drop almost straight down to underneath? Not what you are expecting if I read correctly?

Maybe take a look and see what it tells you?
Hints on using!
Once you get to the part (fresh or holding, etc.?) click on which angle to view from. Then before zooming, click on the symbol bottom left and one of the parts you want to keep as center. Then you can move, turn, zoom etc as you want.
Notice the yellow color of the tank? That is after clicking and it pops it up on the list at right for ID. Or if you know the name, click it and it shows yellow on the drawing. clicking the item on list repeatedly will make it flash on drawing as a way to find it if we know the name but not what it looks like or where !
Click this snip for better view!

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	188705

See what you make of things and shout back if I can ease the learning curve, etc.
Note that this seems to be very good at actually showing even the small parts like el, so we have a good chance at spotting possible fitting problems to may have frozen, etc.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I wonder if the Truma was not properly winterized and was damaged?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

doing a bit more playing with the drawings while I wait on another issue, I thought it might help to show a couple parts like the tank. that brought a question of when the RV was built as there seems to be changes in the fresh water as well as drains during the Feb/March time 2022.
Are you familiar with a label near the driver's side with the build date? Maybe worth knowing if you are before or after that time as a way to get drawings with more confidence in being the right ones?

But I'm not seeing much plumbing near the driver or between the seats other than the front end of the waste tank. One could always say the water is dripping most any where and running to that spot but I usually don't think of the tank and above as likely leak/wet spots!
Water is a terrible thing to chase in RV as it tends to show one spot today but another if we park on a different slope!

click to see better!

Name:	waste top.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	188706Click image for larger version

Name:	tank side.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	188707

Just as interesting to know, that purple 'Door" is access panel to rear of stool! We might never find that if not fully awake!
But if you get water near the drivers, etc. there might be a drip in the stool or shower feed dripping down to run forward on the tank top??/
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Cool

Thank you for the reply and all the info. I will take a look at the sites you sent in the morning. I work as a pharmaceutical process automation engineer and looking at pipiing and instrumentation drawings is part of my job, so this hopefully won't be too much of a learning curve.

As far as the truma not being properly winterized, that I a possibility. I didn't actually do it as it was winterized when I bought it. There may be a chance that I had the truma on without water in it for a little bit as I was filling the fresh tank. From what I remember reading that can be bad for the water heater?

Can you confirm that the power fill configuration bypasses the water heater? It seemed that I was not getting any hot water, then I put the water config into dry camping and turned on the pump and then got hot water. Is it possible that pumping water into the water heater while it was hot did some damage ? I was worried that might the issue as well.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I wonder if the Truma was not properly winterized and was damaged?

Thank you for the reply and all the info. I will take a look at the sites you sent in the morning. I work as a pharmaceutical process automation engineer and looking at pipiing and instrumentation drawings is part of my job, so this hopefully won't be too much of a learning curve.

As far as the truma not being properly winterized, that I a possibility. I didn't actually do it as it was winterized when I bought it. There may be a chance that I had the truma on without water in it for a little bit as I was filling the fresh tank. From what I remember reading that can be bad for the water heater?

Can you confirm that the power fill configuration bypasses the water heater? It seemed that I was not getting any hot water, then I put the water config into dry camping and turned on the pump and then got hot water. Is it possible that pumping water into the water heater while it was hot did some damage ? I was worried that might the issue as well.

Tags
leak, water, water leak