Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2023, 08:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Adding jackknife sofa on slide 2011 Vista 36D

I have a 2011 Vista 36D motorhome. I took out the dinette and put in recliners. I also removed the fold out air bed a d put in s nice leather jackknife sofa.

The problem I am experiencing is that the slide material is not substantial enough to anchor the jack knife. The slide appears to be aluminum frame with a sheet of Luan board on top and some foam insulation. The aluminum appears to be around the edges a d the seat belts were bolted through all the way through from I dide to outside. However, the aluminum doesn't spear to cover all of the slide and where I need to bolt to is just Luan send Styrofoam. Even if I bolt all the way through I feel like it us going to rip the floor out if someone sits on the edge with the sofa extended.

I assume there are aluminum cross members, but I don't know where they are. They are not where I need to bolt the sofa down. I Aldo don't know if it would be safe to drill into them.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can secure the jack knife? I have the recliners just screwed down, which keeps them from moving, but probably wouldn't hold them in an accident.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's one idea. Remove the sofa. Cu a piece of 3/4 plywood base plate at least full size of the sofa mount points. Glue the plywood down with copious amounts of something like Gorilla glue and a few screws to pull it tight to the floor. Weight it if needed while the glue cures. Mount the sofa to the new plywood base plate.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into ir.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Instead of trying to bolt or screw down the sofa, I believe it would be easier and just as safe to strap it down. I would screw a hook of some sort where the floor meets the wall. I would then put another hook where the side wall meet the floor. When traveling I would attach a strap to the secure hooks on the floor.

If you are in an accident that is bad enough to move the sofa that would be the least of my worries. I had two recliners in a 5th wheel held down by attached straps to the floor. They never moved during travel.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide