Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2024, 03:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Best Quality Gate Valves? 2017 Sunstar 32YE

Who makes good high quality gate valves?
gfield63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is a good one but I can't imagine where I would want to use one on an RV!
https://www.grainger.com/product/5JL...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Too expensive and too tedious to open and close for most any RV use I can think of??
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 04:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Maybe I called by the wrong name, I meant the "dump" valve or "blade" valves for the holding tanks
Old 06-22-2024, 07:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I used, and would recommend, Valterra. They seem to be the leader in RV waste systems. There are other brands like Rec Pro and Camco but who knows who the manufacturer is, heck it could be Valterra, or all made in China and sold under different names.

There's not a lot to go wrong with the actual valve, the problems I hear about are usually with the cables that some rigs use to operate the valves.
Old 06-22-2024, 07:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the reply, I'm starting to see a tiny bit of condensation on the cap when I go to dump and it is blue in color which is consistent with the blue additives that I put in the back tank...just want to jump on it before it becomes a problem

Noted: Valterra
Old 06-23-2024, 01:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I used, and would recommend, Valterra. They seem to be the leader in RV waste systems. There are other brands like Rec Pro and Camco but who knows who the manufacturer is, heck it could be Valterra, or all made in China and sold under different names.

There's not a lot to go wrong with the actual valve, the problems I hear about are usually with the cables that some rigs use to operate the valves.
... agreeing with bigb.

And you weren't wrong, they are "gate" valves. "Dump" is the slang name given to them by the RV community.
Old 06-23-2024, 04:04 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I believe you can replace the seals, it requires disassembly. You could also try a bit of lube on the existing seals first.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfield63 View Post
Maybe I called by the wrong name, I meant the "dump" valve or "blade" valves for the holding tanks
I thought I had done this but will try again. Seems way too many of my posts just simply "disappear" for unknown reasons.

No , you did not use the wrong name and gate valve is totally correct for these valves. My mind came off the track when thinking of plastic waste valves and quality!

My mind filled in the blank space it had. Kind of like auto correct on our screens?
Sorry about totally missing the question!
I can't say I know of any that are better or worse as the way they are set up seems far more critical. Those with long cable pulls and especially those which make a full 180 turn to come back to the valve are what I tend to try to avoid.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

thanks to all for the info, i might try lubing the seals first as wahoonc recommended.
petroleum jelly works great on the toilet seal...keeps it going longer
Old 06-23-2024, 06:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I love petroleum jelly for lots of lube when it is where it gets wet. At one time I did a lot of fish breeding operation and jelly was one of those things that I used a lot for seals on filters and such as it stays even when water is moving around.
It's one of those things almost guaranteed to start a fight when you are talking fish tanks and petroleum!
Two false things people keeping fish will fight to the death over is using bleach or any form of petroleum!

Tags
quality