Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-25-2024, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Concern about 2005 Sightseer 29R sitting 3 Years

For a variety of reasons our 2005 Sightseer 29R has been sitting unused inside of a garage (tires on concrete floor) for almost 3 years. Generator has been run every few months. I started it up last week (started great - batteries have been on trickle conditioner) and all the interior items seem to work fine. Full of unleaded gas that has been treated with Stabil.

What should I do before winter comes where it will be a good 8 months before it could see any use? Oil change/lube? Anything specific to inspect? What should I be worried about if I wanted to take it for a 100 mile drive?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2024, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You've mentioned several things that might be done but that is somewhat a personal view on some points. Oil? Depends on how long it had been and if it was near needing changed it may be a good investment to make for a change.
Considering the price of being wrong and needing to rebuild/replace an engine, I might go for it. Lube? Yes, as part of the oil change? Small expenses that you might want to deferr if it is only going to set.
Tires? They may not have been new when stored, so we like to keep them less than six years old as a general rule. the rubber stuff can get old and tend to get brittle, so I would favor having somebody look at them for a date as well as look carefully for cracking and sings of getting too old. Not one you want to risk a blowout as that can be really bad in an RV!
A couple sneaky item you don't mention and one that is often overlooked. What about the coach batteries? Were they well taken care of and kept charged and not allowed to go flat or go dry on water? They may need attention!
One often missed item is the brake system. The fluid is an item that draws/collects water! When we drive often, that water that may collect in the fluid is often heated and boiled off as we brake and may not do any harm.

But if we store the RV, it collects water in the fluid. When we then begin to use the RV, we get water spread all through the RV in places like the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Those are super machined precision items which are basic bare smooth metal! When they get water in the fluid moved into them it can get really bad if we store it again! Imagine rusty cylinders and then we begin to move the parts inside back and forth, dragging the rust along the walls of the cylinders!
That can quickly score and ruin all four wheel cylinders as well as the master cylinder which can be REALLY expensive! Think possible $1000 range to replace all!
Tests can be run on the current fluid to judge how much water is in it, but I might just go for fluid replacement as the cheaper, more sure way to prevent the big bill!

Definitely check all the battery connections for corrosion!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer