Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2024, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Filling Tires With Air 2019 Outlook 22

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to RV ownership. In June of 2023 we purchased a 2019 Winnebago Outlook 22. I can't remember if it's the E or the C... It's built on a Ford E350 Chassis. I'm looking to take it this weekend to a state park, but need to add air to the tires. I've looked on youtube for videos of removing the hubcaps, but the videos do not look like the setup that I have. Could anyone help me with this specific model? Also once the hubcaps are off, will I need a special tool to fill the inner tire of the dually? Thanks for helping a newbie out!
Shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

From what I gather, there are two types of hub caps, some you pry off, like the old-style car hub caps, and others have a couple of nuts under the big lug covers. The covers are identified with a mark of some sort. The inside dual "should" have an extension that will allow you to reach it to put air in. I use a double-headed air chuck.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:21 PM   #3
Ted & Lynne

i have two lugs on each tire that are real so to speak. gotta look close but they are across from each other. Had to order from winnebago when i lost one so make sure those are part of a pre trip at some point. happy hunting
Old 04-23-2024, 04:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you have wheels that have a second thin cover, called "wheel simulators", there will be a much different look to the lug nuts as what you see are just thin covers held on by two of the "nuts" that you see from the outside.
If you have wheel sims like this, try tapping each of the simulated nuts with something like the end of a screwdriver. As you go around the circle, you will get a different sound from two of them! Kind of a "ting, ting, thump" , difference?
If you get a noticeable difference in two, those will likely be covers for real lug nuts underneath the covers!
Use something to pad the two lug nut covers and then pliers to unscrew them. That will then let you see the real nuts holding the wheel simulators!
When you get them off, so you can actually see them, look at the sides of the two different ones. You may see a mark to ID them. What I am used to seeing is a flat indentation like a - pressed into the thin metal. Once you know it is there, you may be able to spot it in the future??

But this is just what I have seen or had and there are lots of things that I've missed, so be alert for bad info on the internet!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:31 PM   #5
Ted & Lynne

not sure of pic orientation but the fake ones have a circle at base. the real one also has a indent in it
third up from bottom fourth down from top
Old 04-23-2024, 11:31 PM   #6
Site Team

The question isn’t how to remove the Hubcaps but it should be… do you need to do that to add air to your tires. Usually you don’t.

A good option is to take the Class C motorhome to a nearby tire store for help with this process. Even better would be to have the tire shop install valve extensions on your tires to make airing up easy.

Your Outlook isn’t so large that you couldn’t even visit a Discount Tire shop. If they can’t accommodate your RV then any Truck Tire Shop should be able to manage this easily.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the replies. I have found that the hubcaps definitely do not have any real lugs. They are all dummy lugs. I can see behind the cap and there are no threads coming forward that the hub would attach to. I took pictures, but can't simply upload them here. So the cap would need to be pried off. I tried using a screw driver, but I felt that I was more likely to bend the hub cap than to pry it off.

@creativepart that is a good suggestion. The front wheel hubs do not need to come off in order for me to add air, but the rear valve stems I cannot reach. I reached out to a local tire shop to see if they could install some valve extensions for me.

I wish this RV had the setup described by several of the users here, and shown in the videos that I found online with the 2 real lugs and the rest being dummies, but unfortunately I do not.
Shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Greetings Shazaam,
Below is the equipment I use on my 2019 Minnie Winnie, which I believe have the same wheels and wheel covers as your 2019 Outlook.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	61EkbQ+nV-L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	188817

Name:	71Cc0WtAj+L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	188819

Name:	61koNkvnd7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	188818
Old 04-24-2024, 03:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
I have found that the hubcaps definitely do not have any real lugs. They are all dummy lugs.
Just to be sure you know what you're looking for - the dummy lugs in the wheel simulator don't do anything. The two "lugs" dimpled on the sides are not "real lugs" they are screw caps. You unscrew them to release the wheel simulator (hub caps).

So, yeah, the hub caps don't have any "real lugs." Just the two lug-looking caps that are dimpled and screw off.

Here's what the "dimple" looks like on the screw off cap that looks like a lug nut:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	188821  
Old 04-25-2024, 02:13 PM   #10
Ted & Lynne

That’s what I was trying to say lol

Tags
tires