Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2024, 02:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH Hydraulic Slide - Emergency Retraction not working

Hi! I have a 2005 Winnebego Journey 39 with HWH Hydrolic Slides.

Sorry if posting when other posts may cover this; it seems that most of them don't talk about both specific issues.

First off, my pump for the slides went out. I need to manually retract them. I opened the relief nut (not sure if thats what its called) on the back of the retraction solenoid and started to turn the long bolt that retracts the slide. It started to go in, and then the nut (Im told its plastic) that the long bolt threads into popped. Now the long bolt just spins. The shaft it is all in seems sealed; how can that be replaced?

Second part of the question: Why, after opening the relief screw on the back of the solenoid, would the slide not go in? As I screwed the bolt, the slide went in a few inches and stopped, like it had too much pressure in the hydraulics or something.

Any info would help; the mobile mechanics always seem to give different stories, and I would love to know a little about it before I have to talk to one.

Thanks for any info you may have!

Kevin
Old 08-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since there are often lots of different versions, there is good reason for techs to not always agree on what they should do with what you have. They may be trained to look at different versions!

So that brings me around to looking for my own info as I trust myself to be more concerned with getting the right info the first time!
Guessing is one sure way to waste lots of time and money both costing YOU!

If you do not have the HWH info that should travel with the RV, I would go for finding which HWH you have and search online for info what and how to operate that specific item.

Any labels on the pump unit to lead you on which you have?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Morich, that makes sense for sure. I followed the HWH instructions for emergency retraction in the manual, they were actually really simple. However..after searching videos I see where I made the mistake on opening the valves. The manual said what ones, but it didnt say I needed to open the retract AND the other side, I only opened the retract.

Now that I know that part.. Question is the plastic nut is broken on one side of the slide out so I can only pull in one side, if I have help, will it go in by pushing it or is that really out of the question?

Not sure what that nut is called, so if anyone knows that it could help me figure out how to replace it.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2024, 07:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Paul/ AZPete has the answers. have your model # and be specific about your issue.

Suggest you contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is [email protected] and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 02:35 PM   #5
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Solution?

Just hoping you will post the results. I don't like the sound of plastic nuts and two release valves over one. I'm pretty sure I would have read it the same way you did.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2024, 09:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
Just hoping you will post the results. I don't like the sound of plastic nuts and two release valves over one. I'm pretty sure I would have read it the same way you did.

Thanks
The lack of the HWH model# means we must guess. Different model numbers have different emergency retract procedures. For instance my 610 central-ground model has a manual winch for emergency retraction instead of turning the shaft manually. That's why I recommended he call the HWH factory rep that is a commercial member of irv2.com.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, slide, hydraulic