Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Kwikee steps not extending when on shore power

This is a new one for me, hoping for some suggestions on where to start looking. We're going on a short trip this week, and the MH is in my driveway and plugged in to 15A just to keep the fridge and water heater on.

Yesterday and today when I opened the door the steps did not extend. Yesterday I looked at the connections and flipped the switch off and on a few times and no luck. Then as a last resort I tried unplugging from shore power, then I closed and opened the screen door and the steps extended. I plugged back in and they extended and retracted as expected. Today I went out and opened the door and same thing, no steps. I unplugged the power, closed and opened the screen door and the steps extended. Plugged it back in and they're still working.

This has never happened before and I'm at a complete loss where or what to look at. We'll be plugged in to 30A at the campground this week and I'm hoping I don't have to go unplug from the pedestal every time we need to get in, not to mention the issue of getting out in the mornings. I'm going to pack a plastic step just in case.
Old 06-23-2024, 12:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would say you are beset by a strange set of circumstances that are fooling you into thinking the 110AC power is part of the problem!

The 110AC input is so far removed from the steps, I can't see it being a direct cause. AC powers the converter to make 12VDC to charge the coach side and then the BIM passes part of the power to the chassis side to help it stay charged, so any changes in the AC side is seems pretty far off from getting to the step powering!

But with no proof, one way or the other, I would suggest some testing that might lead to some info gained?

One of the little things that can get flaky enough to make us think we are losing our mind is the little magnetic reed switch at the bottom of the door that senses the door position. Know where that is?
That is a really thin little wire "reed" and it can get defective and stick either open or closed at different times. Maybe make sure one of the little wires is not loose on the switch?
Next time things go goofy on the door, try just gently thumping that switch with something like a screwdriver handle to see if it jars it loose to make the door position show correct and that is what is needed to make the steps pop out!
Those steps are a whole lot more complex in their "thinking" than I first expected and I still don't have many of the details down but that switch is one funky little item!
That would be my first thought and if whacking it a bit makes it work, then try a new switch at the door there!

But as second idea, there may be a loose plug or connection on the steps that is getting jarred just enough to make connection when you go in and out to plug or unplug, so maybe banging around on the steps is a good second plan if it fails again?
Maybe stand over the step and stomp your foot?
Heck of a way to do things but when it's intermittent, kicking it can be as good plan as any!
I would guess it "could" also be in the step electronics that sense current flow but that's one I would want to try to make sure it was not the easier stuff before going there!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:54 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I keep a magnet in the coach stuck to the wall adjacent to the door specifically for keeping the steps retracted when I need to work in the battery compartment, so yes I'm familiar with the switch.

It's the fact that unplugging the extension cord from the wall outlet seem to "reset" something that has me baffled. And then when I plug it back in and it still works. I believe the steps run off the chassis battery, and are connected to the battery directly but I haven't found them in the wiring diagram yet. So when it's on shore power there's just a trickle/float charge, but I can't imagine how that could in any way affect the steps.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, I know what you mean when things look like they are connected. That's where I wanted to add that things can trick us, so keep an open mind!
I sure can't say it is not but then I can't see where it CAN!

That's where you may need to just try to find something loose or flaky.
As old idea that I try to keep in mind? We know what stuff does when it's working right but when it's not, it can do most anything it wants!

Another thought?
You can't fix it when it's not broke!

SORRY!
Not funny and not a good time for jokes!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:33 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The steps worked fine today. I lubed them yesterday with some silicone blaster spray, my best and only guess right now is that they were a little sticky and there was just enough resistance to keep them from extending. No idea why or how unplugging shore power made any difference, but not going to waste much more time thinking about it at this point.

Tags
kwikee, power, shore power, steps