Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2024, 03:46 PM   #1
Ted & Lynne

Motorhome propane tank age?

on my travels I had someone check the age of my propane tank. it is 2016 and they weren't sure if it was 10 or 15 years before they were put out of service. is this a big ordeal to change or can it be done while you wait? leaving it for a day is not bad but RV places seem to want you to leave them for weeks or months at a time. some say that's normal but if I can have any mechanic do it I would rather schedule a day to drop off.
Old 06-08-2024, 04:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just take it to any propane bottle exchange and trade it for a new one. The propane providers prefer this so that the old bottles can be taken out of service or rebuilt.
Old 06-08-2024, 04:06 PM   #3
Ted & Lynne

this is a permanent mounted one. i don't think I have a bottle exchange like that near me. we do for gas grill tanks.
Old 06-08-2024, 05:47 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood your question
Old 06-08-2024, 06:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Fyden View Post
on my travels I had someone check the age of my propane tank. it is 2016 and they weren't sure if it was 10 or 15 years before they were put out of service. is this a big ordeal to change or can it be done while you wait? leaving it for a day is not bad but RV places seem to want you to leave them for weeks or months at a time. some say that's normal but if I can have any mechanic do it I would rather schedule a day to drop off.
Don't need to replace permanent mount ed tanks.They are ASME tanks.Only DOT tanks age out
Our ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 08:12 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Whoever told you there is an age out for permanently mounted tanks is misinformed. As long as the tank is in decent shape and the valve is functional it can be filled. I have had some that were over 35 years old still in service. If it has surface rust lightly sand it down and repaint.. Portable tanks are a different set of regulations.

Aaron
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 10:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We live in a day and age that puts bad information and lies far easier to find than the truth!
And people do seem to enjoy adding stress to the folks who have not taken the time to look carefully! The fact that they did not actually know the time line nor that the time line on most type tanks is for doing a retest, not replace is one clue to the lack of good info!

When I find my "friends " lie to me repeatedly and on purpose, I tend to get new friends!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 03:07 PM   #8
Ted & Lynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Whoever told you there is an age out for permanently mounted tanks is misinformed. As long as the tank is in decent shape and the valve is functional it can be filled. I have had some that were over 35 years old still in service. If it has surface rust lightly sand it down and repaint.. Portable tanks are a different set of regulations.

Aaron
I will chalk it up to faulty training at the truck stop I filled up at. the young fellow filling tank was apprehensive to begin with. he called his supervisor out and it was her first day as a boss. I figured at worst I had two years, but I now know different and will be able to pass the info on. I appreciate your response and info.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Fyden View Post
I will chalk it up to faulty training at the truck stop I filled up at. the young fellow filling tank was apprehensive to begin with. he called his supervisor out and it was her first day as a boss. I figured at worst I had two years, but I now know different and will be able to pass the info on. I appreciate your response and info.
Permanently-mounted ASME tanks are exempt from the portable UDOT cylinder requirements.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, propane, tank