Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2023, 11:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New RVer needs help with 1990 Winnebago Superchief

My husband wanted an RV so we could travel, it was his dream, well he passed away in April, and I am alone living his dream. I know nothing and am becoming very overwhelmed with what I do know. Most recently I have no idea how to get my generator started. I live in Bakersfield and with 109° days the generator would save me from heat stroke. Also I can't get my toilet to empty, I opened my valve but nothing comes out. And it stinks very bad inside and now I have a million flys. Any info help tips would be extremely helpful. I was never meant to be doing this alone, and everyday I miss my husband more and more. Thank you so much in advance for any help.
Rosiem8214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 03:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Rosie,
I as are many on this forum sorry about your loss and our prayers go out to you.

Now for the problem you will need to give us more information about your unit. The model, year, anything more will be helpful for us to help you out.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My condolances as well.

See if you can find someone with RV experience to help you learn the basic operations. If I was your neighbor, I would be glad to assist you.

Someone in the business is also a choice. A mobile service tech or a dealer rep could help you but they would charge a fee.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #4
Site Team

My condolances as well.

This is really a health hazard for you and until you can locate an RV tech or someone to help you you should move out of the RV and into a motel or some kind of shelter.

That’s really the best help we can provide.

Here’s a link to a mobile RV techs that will come to you in Bakersfield:

https://www.facebook.com/RMSRVSERVICE/

https://rvrepairdirect.com/directory...akersfield-ca/
Old 07-16-2023, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, life does have a way of changing our plans or making them really difficult.
One thing I do highly recommend is recognizing that we do need help. RV folks are so used to being out on the road and feeling they may need help , that many will be glad to jump in to try to lend a hand.
This group will do their best to sort any problems but if you are in a campground/RV park, there are likely folks very close that will be quite happy to assist. But we have to use some thoughts when we get stuck.
Maybe catching those folks who look like they've been at it for a while or have an RV somewhat like you and let them know you have a problem, can be a big start! Walk down to the office/ club room, etc and let them office folks know can be a starter. Most of us have been stuck needing help at times, so those old grey hairs can hide lots of good info!!
For online help, there are lots of Winnebago sites for info if you have a motorized RV. Far less for the trailer group.
But as a starter, the online manuals are often a place to start for info.
this site for the Winnebago home site can open lots of other info under the "owners" tab:
https://www.winnebago.com/

Then for plumbing specific info this can get drawings.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

But step one has to be letting us know what you have, trailer? Motorhome? And then if you sort it down to a specific, we can hope to look for exact drawings, rather than guess at what is under the floor!

Standing by to help but we need more info?

Built in generator or portable? Assuming built in, there should be a switch somewhere on a monitor panel. Holding that switch is likely to make the generator turn over/crank and should start after a bit as a pretty simple operation.
If a motorhome and a manual onhand, it should give lots of good info.
A handy neighbor is highly recommended and most will be happy to help. Maybe some of this group is in the site just down the road? You never know till we check!!

Best wishes and hope to get you some help soon. See the info folks have at the bottom of the first two posts? That's what we need to get started!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

OK! Got a start for info!
This is a link to info on the generator basics from the owners manual online here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ago-Itasca.pdf

Not a great deal of help other than it shows how to move the cord to the generator outlet from shore power! But then we need to know what type help getting the generator running is needed? Page 6-4 shows where to plug the cord and that is a defintie need to get power from the generator!

Do you know where to hit the switch to start it cranking and what does it do when you crank it? No noise of any sort or cranking but not starting?

Some other things may help to get you out of the heat quicker! Can you move to a site where you can plug the RV into power, while you sort starting the generator?

Sorry to ask all these questions but the problem is we don't know what level of help you really need.
We ALL come out of the box as dumb as chickens and learn it all from the start so we have to find what you know/don't know!!
Do you know where and how to plug the cord?
Sounds like it could be an insult but most of us had to find it the first time!

If you read a few posts, you may notice there are still lots of things we don't know, so join the group? We can all go along together!

To get down to exact drawings, there should be a label somewhere near the driver's seat that tell exactly which model 90 Superchief you have and the length is part of what we need to know to find drawings, if we get to that.

Wiring drawings and how we may need to get to them. Can you sort which you have?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Click image for larger version

Name:	90 super.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	186657
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Your description sounds as if the black tank is plugged. I hope you haven't left the black tank drain valve open, this is the main cause of plugged-up tanks.
If you can look down the open commode and see water this is good. I would ask RV park management if they have a phone number for a pump-out truck. These truck can pull suction on the black tank, and with the commode pedal held open then can suction out the contents. The truck driver will know the details of how to perform the pump-out.
As to learning how to do things, utube is your knowledge base. Type in your question in a search engine, followed by Utube video. Click on one of the results to watch the video. Be advised not all videos are reliable fact, watch more than one on the subject.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago