Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2022, 11:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing door lock

We have a 2019 Forza 34T. On a cross country trip, in the middle of nowhere Oregon, we accidentally locked ourselves out of the RV, with it running! We were able to open the bottom lock that had closed somehow when we closed the door going out. Unfortunately, using a hammer and screwdriver got the door open, but now the lock doesn’t work. Fortunately the top deadbolt still does.
We would like to replace the entire door lock with one with a keypad, fob, etc. All the ones I find look much smaller than the original lock exterior housing.
Any suggestions? I expect I could take the lock off and see, but I am hesitant.
Thanks.
ymclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi ymclain,
I would just get a new door handle from your local dealer and install that yourself. You might be able to get it keyed to match what keys you have, or get new sets of keys instead. I would then either figure a way to keep the two door keys on my person, or find a good hide-a-key location accessible from the outside of the coach.
This thread has much discussion about being locked-out, and even locked-in:
Locked Inside (Or Out) Of Your RV? * Trimark 30-900 Lock * How Do These Things Work?
I really liked the days when Winnebago made a driver's side door for the Class As, which gave you a second entry point. It is always good to have a back-up.
Eagle5
Old 05-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I mounted a key safe outdoor lockbox $ 20 on the back side of the access door to refill my onboard propane tank and keep a deadbolt and passage lock key inside. It's saved me from being locked out a few times over the years. I like the kind I shared the link to because it has the vinyl weather cover that keeps out contamination.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I mounted a key safe outdoor lockbox $ 20 on the back side of the access door to refill my onboard propane tank and keep a deadbolt and passage lock key inside. It's saved me from being locked out a few times over the years. I like the kind I shared the link to because it has the vinyl weather cover that keeps out contamination.
I like this key box and will have to order one. Thank you for sharing.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

Did you use the screws that came with the lock? Or something shorter?
Old 05-29-2022, 07:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi, Ymclain. Hope things are going good.
We're from that area and are currently in Ohio. We had a similar problem last summer with our lock (ours is a teensie bit older) and found there is nothing we could do but repair it.
Repairing is not that big of a problem after you get over the fear of trying to take it off. If it is like ours there are three screws on the inside of the door and a nut through the edge of the door you need to remove. That nut would be an eleven mm. The dead bolt slides out with the outside half of the door handle (you have to remove the mech for the electric locking if it has one).
I looked high and low for anything that fits and can't find anything, but again mine's an 03
Old 05-29-2022, 08:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Forza door lock

It is not an electric lock. Thanks for the advice of just repairing it. If replaced, it would have to be the same type lock. No aftermarket lock with button codes, even non electric ones, will fit. 😕 if we take the lock off, I assume we would take out the bottom lock cylinder that is broken, and replace it. We had to replace a storage bay lock that somehow fell out, and that was easy enough. If nothing else, once we remove the unit, we could take it to a locksmith.
Thanks so much for your help!
Y
ymclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
Did you use the screws that came with the lock? Or something shorter?
I bolted ours through the side wall into the locked storage with ss bolts. So easy access from propane but secure through locked for nuts
taylordr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I stuck one on with "industrial strength" Velcro, and secured it with four 1/2" Zip-ins. My two door keys are inside in a small baggie, and an ignition key is well (hopefully) hidden inside the coach.

Tags
door