Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2024, 12:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

RV Auto Steps Stopped Working 2017 Journey

I have a 2017 Winnebago Journey and the steps quit working while traveling. I have check the fuse on the driver side and I have unconnected the cannon plugs to reset the actuator/power to motor. I am not sure if I just need to replace the power board underneath or if there is some other trick.

The amber light does come on when opening the door at night.

BTW: what is the TLO cover for inside the door next to the threshold door jam?

Thank you and God bless you and yours.
VRCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the winneowners.com discussion forums!

We must assume you have Kiwkee brand steps since you didn't say. This will help if they are Kiwkee brand steps: Kwikee Products Service Training manual It also has an excellent troubleshooting section.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up Entry Steps

Thank you so much for sharing this.
VRCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It makes it difficult to help as you do not tell us very much about WHICH 2017 Journey you have as we can't go to drawings for info.
Click image for larger version

Name:	17 j.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	189957

Some general ideas may help but we can't point to where without knowing which RV!
There will likely be a switch for the step cover.
Something like this perhaps?
Click these snips to see better!

Name:	17J 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	189958
Winnebago stamps ID on the small wires that allow us to find where the wires go and that often leads to finding what they do. Do they carry battery or ground?

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	189959
We can use this chart to decode the ID!
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
I would suggest going to the correct drawing from the list, then find the 12Volt installation drawings and look for the correct part for the switch. Then depending on what [parts are easier to access, I would check that battery and ground are getting to that part, for example the switch.

I often think of the switch first for a couple reasons. One is that it up above where I don't have to crawl for testing but also they are small semi-fragile things that are prone to wearing or failure! Also I know that if there is no power and ground getting to the switch, there is not much reason to look beyond that for the problem!

Notice the circuit ID I marked on the example above? When you find those are the correct part on your specific RV, you can then go to the list and find which wire should have battery and which ground!
Testing will then tell you whether to chase the fault toward the step or back toward the battery or ground connection.
Thinking like this? Does the battery and ground get to this point and does the switch pass it on when we move it? If it doesn't get here, chase back toward the source or if it DOES, then look further toward the steps!

At some point, this testing will get down to the connections from the Winnebago wiring to the step builders wire and then you need to switch to their info.
I tend to do the lightweight, easier things first before going down underneath!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps, journey