Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2024, 09:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shower Skylight replacement, 2021 Adventurer 35F

Hi, beginning the replacement of the skylight over our shower in a '21Adv'r 35F, the existing one on it doesn't appear to be the original as it is basically just an almost flat piece which is peeling up right through the self leveling sealant.

I received the part from Lichtsinn and it is the Winnebago corner bracket type and some shape for structure. I'm wondering just how to install this, my best guess is to use a bead of Proflex sealant (the roof edge sealant) around the inside of the skylight, then after installing the corner brackets to put self leveling NuFlex 311 around the outside edge.

Just wondering if anyone out there has experience of a better way?
Yooper375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 11:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Yooper375,
I would recommend you use the Sealants as specified by Winnebago:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...am/Sealant.htm
for your 2021 Adventurer 35F, here is the callout sheet:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000163511.pdf
It appears that the shower skylight uses:
Self-Leveling Sealant "A", which is 342414-01-CHT
I believe the "CHT" is a reference to the color of the sealant.
At this point, I would call Lichtsinn to confirm if an additional adhesive is used to bond the skylight to the roof structure.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 09-09-2024, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Team

On YouTube there is an RV channel for “AZ EXPERT” he has a lot of roof repair videos and he installed a new skylight in the past few weeks.

I believe he cleaned all traces of past sealant, applied butyl tape to the flange of the skylight, then screwed down the skylight enough to see the butyl to ooze out evenly around the outside then covered the entire flange and screws and area around the roof the outside of the skylight with silicone sealant.

As to what sealant you should use a self-leveling silicone. Winnebago recommends NuFlex 311 or Hengs 311.
Old 09-09-2024, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Here’s that video I mentioned above. It not your RV but you’ll get the picture:

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Dome skylight

Just finished 2012 Sunstar best advice Az Expert and several others worth the review. Winnebago uses silicone.

Several years ago I used the incorrect sealant as indicated on a podcast. Four inches of rain in the Everglades with water pouring over the refrigerator indicated a very serious problem requiring intensive repair. Az Expert set me straight for WINNEBAGO products, and using combination sealants of butyl for sealing then construction of silicone encasement after placement.

Good Luck
He said one thing that caught my attention, If you form a continuous weather/watertight barrier between the 'outer roof furan glass sheet/plywood/foam core/plywood/interior headliner' even with future leakage the damage would be minimal. Caution any adhesive applied to foam core MUST BE SUITABLE for FOAM not chemically destroying the foam.
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, adventurer, light, replace, replacement, shower, vent