Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Storing RV on Blocks and Tire Life

When storing a boat for the winter, we usually jacked up the trailer and put it on blocks of wood to take the weight off the tires.

Does anyone put their rigs on blocks similarly? I have seen nothing in the RV forums about taking the pressure off the tires during multi-month storage. Only putting covers on the them to protect from weather and sun.

Comments appreciated,
Jon
Jleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Jon,
I use waterproof tire covers, plus Meguiar's G7516 Endurance Tire Gel regularly. So far, my 5½ year-old tires look brand-new. I just park on the concrete with no padding.
Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	81s8cjdrqeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	189768
Old 09-02-2024, 09:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

ALL tire mfgrs recommend inflating tires to maximum or 10 psi over for long-term storage, plus, tires should not be exposed to standing water. For MH's inflating tires to sidewall maximum plus deploying leveling jacks is recommended, that in itself however requires added actions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2024, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have always tried to not leave long on dirt, if I am parked on dirt I put in blocks to raise the tires. Stone or cement are fine I believe (as long as not standing in water over winter.)
rdw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2024, 08:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I lift my camper and boat tires off the ground. I was able to pick up extra jacks and stands at a few estate sales...so I have the extras on both sides of the camper ready go to make it easy to jack up.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 04:23 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Jon-

A motorhome (such as your Sightseer) has a parking brake that prevents the rear axle from turning. If you lift the coach enough to get the rear wheels off the ground then you must find a way (in advance) to prevent the coach from moving. Solutions include blocking/cribbing and stands of suitable capacity.

For this reason, I suspect there are very few motorhome owners who block up their coaches for storage with the tires off the ground. The majority will store their coaches with the levelers up and sitting on the tires- and still find out that the tires "age out" before they wear out or display signs of damage from staying on the ground for months at a time.

Protection against UV damage, wetness and certain surface types (if/as advised by the tire manufacturer) is prudent. I used tire covers; they kept the tires and wheels free of splashback from my bluestone driveway.

As always, review the owner's manual for any guidance on storage prep.

One final note: In my opinion, it's important to store a coach outside such that water has the least opportunity to find its way inside. This means pitching the coach so that water will not pool, and will flow off in the best directions for that coach (as examples, consider Winnebago's designs for the roof-sidewall joint and for the windshield upper "seal"). You may conclude that the natural slopes of the storage site make pooling/leaking more likely, and further conclude that driving the tires up on blocks or ramps will improve the pitch. If so, and the blocks or ramps are not too extreme, do that. I suggest you use sturdy ramps of generous proportions, with a smooth upper surface, if you plan to leave the coach on them for months. The plastic blocks, if they are ever suitable for a motorhome, are intended for short-term use only. Ensure the coach is not twisted on the ramps/blocks, and that all tires are supported (some would only support one tire each side on the rear dual axle- don't do that).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote