Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2024, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Stuck trying to fix a frameless window

I'm trying to reseal this window on my 2005 winnebago Vectra 36 RD but I can't get the bar off that the window pivots on. Everything else on this window has literally fallen off including the bar that moves the window in and out. Has anyone ever removed one. I've separated the sides but the top is still glued and heat is doing nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240807_135616.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	189537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240807_135603.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	189538  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240807_135635.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	189539  
SANDPSYCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 05:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What is the priority? Do you want to save the existing glass or is that to be replaced?

I "might" have a suggestion but it does come with some risk of cracking/scratching the glass! Look before deciding!

I had some window frames that I really, really wanted to save the metal frames and got desperate enough to go for broke, risking total loss!

One of my new toys/tools was and oscilating tool and I was finding all kinds of uses for it, so it looked like worth a try.
I had used a blade which started with teeth but had worn down to no teeth and just a thing blade after using it to remove caulk from brick!

I found with the worn out thin metal left, I could find just enough space to begin to let the blade work it's way between the glass and metal to begin cutting the adhesive!
If you have not used one of these, it is not a high pressure tough tool but works more like a thousand tiny nicks instead of large blows.
I love it for lots of things where I'm worried about slipping or gouges when I'm pressing too hard. I can hold items to saw in my hand and not worry about cutting my fingers!
If you DIY on RV, you likely need this for future caulk removal!

So I might suggest trying one if you are a DIY person as you may find a lot of uses for it that you don't yet know about!
If you can find a place anywhere along the two parts where you could see getting a blade to start, it will quite likely be able to go along pretty quickly once you get started!

On my windows, it worked much better than heat as my glass cracked way too easy when I heated to loosen the adhesive!
This is one that I fidn works as well as the name brand that I first had!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...0&from=/search
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 07:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Almost every window has an issue. I have 3 of these crank out windows and they are all flapping in the wind. So my goal is to fix all the windows and save thousands of dollars.

After my post, I made another attempt. I was able to separate one side with razor blades but both pieces where still pretty secure. What I did different was to heat what is the top up with map gas until the paint was starting to smoke then grabbing one pane I was able to pull it out buy going to the side rather than pulling it straight out. Once the one piece was out the other came right out.

Now I can clean everything up and start putting it back together.
SANDPSYCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 09:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like progress. One of the main things that seems to be missing is just the right idea at the right time!
Sometimes we just need to take a break and think of a new plan!

Looks like you're getting there!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
window