Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2024, 05:37 AM   #1
KC
Winnebago Camper

Waxing new to us Vista 29NPF?

We are buying a new to us Vista 29NPF and would love any recommendations on a good wax for this unit.

Also what kind of maintenance should be done on the roof other than cleaning and inspection?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2024, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Team

There are really unlimited choices for waxing your motorhome. Currently I use a car was soap with wax in it from Meguiar's - Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax. I get a big bottle at Walmart and it lasts for a year or more.

For a number of years after washing I would apply the popular “Wash Wax ALL” product. It was developed for airplanes but works well on RVs and cars. It can be used as an after wash wax, as a wet applied wax or even as a waterless wash system.

It works great is easy to apply but I grew weary of the extra step. Just being lazy in my old age. So that’s why I use the Meguiar's alone now.

Then usually once a year I pay a team of professionals to hand apply wax and power buff it out for about $10/ft. ($370 in my case).

A number of years ago I did get a small electric power washer with a foam cannon feature and that shortens the whole process. Being even more lazy I purchased a water deionizer device to eliminate having to hand dry the RV, which was as massive of a job as washing. There are many of those on the market.

Enjoy that new motorhome!

PS. Since your new motorhome has Lithionics batteries you should be aware of a thread here that is monitored by an electrical engineer from Lithionics to help answering any questions. Here’s a link:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...es-366502.html

Don’t get the impression that there is a lot of problems with this setup. This system is available on Winnebago travel trailers, too. Most issues are caused by travel trailer dealers that don’t know how to set up or operate the system. But it’s a good resource to have.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on the new coach!

I typically wax once a year with this: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M633.../dp/B0007TR47G

It holds up well and gives a good solid shine. Still usually still beading up in the spring when I hit it again. It goes on easy and buffs off about as easy.

I also use the Gold Class wash like Creative Part, it brings back the shine (and takes off the bugs!) quite well.

Congrats again!
Old 07-17-2024, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ditto what they said. However, I applied Nu Finish Ceramic coating last fall after washing and waxing and I've gotta say it still looks great now. Still have to wash the road grime and bugs off with Gold Class Wash Wax, but it seems to clean up faster with less effort.
Old 07-17-2024, 05:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I started out with Maguire's spray wax from Walmart 2x per year when I washed. Now I've switched to Tec582 ceramic detail, spray wax once per year. Wash, spray it on and dry it off. I've got a 2012 Journey.

Check out youtube Andrew Steele on washing and waxing million $ coaches.
Old 07-18-2024, 12:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm betting the roof is oxidized so wash with car wash, polish with McGuire's ultimate polish, and apply two coats of McGuire's fleet marine paste wax or marine liquid.

Unless the sides have wax buildup or some other problems wash with car wash and wax with McGuire's marine liquid wax.

Every couple of months go over the sides with aero cosmetics wash wax all. I do the roof with wash wax all sometimes if it is getting dirty.

Depending upon conditions the aero product will prevent the need to wax for a year or more.

Once the roof starts oxidizing you are going to have to wax it again. If you wait untill it is heavily oxidized you'll have to polish again.

Do not use marine polish. It is designed for much thicker gelcoat.
Old 07-18-2024, 09:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Do most of you apply the wax with a hand pad and buff it off by hand? I was thinking about buying one of those 2 handled electric wax application machines but don't know if it's worth it. I already own a random orbit polisher with a 5" & a 6" hook & loop backing pad but I've only used that for correctional buffing and polishing, not to apply wax or buff it off.

I guess with the 2 handled machine you apply the wax with one pad then polish it off with a bonnet?
Old 07-19-2024, 12:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

No. Hand polish and wax only.

No. IMHO the buffers are for nice smooth really clean cars. There are so many places on an RV where you can suck dirt onto the pad and quicky rub it into your paint.

I also like to change my polishing microfiber cloths very often and would need a stack of buffer pads.

Leave the power equipment to professionals. Those buffers are a good way to make a big mistake really fast.
Old 07-19-2024, 11:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
No. IMHO the buffers are for nice smooth really clean cars. There are so many places on an RV where you can suck dirt onto the pad and quicky rub it into your paint.

I also like to change my polishing microfiber cloths very often and would need a stack of buffer pads.

Leave the power equipment to professionals. Those buffers are a good way to make a big mistake really fast.
I'm not talking about the high speed buffers that the pros use for paint correction, I have a couple of those and I know how easy it can be to burn though if you're not experienced with one. I've done a fair amount of work with those.
I mean the cheap two handled models sold to DIY's for application and slow, gentle buffing of the wax. Up till now I've always used a hand pad and buffed it off with a cloth, but I'm wondering if the machine might give a more even distribution and make application and buffing off easier on the large, flat surfaces of a motorhome. In the past I have scoffed at them thinking they were just a gimmick but now thinking differently and wanted to know if anyone uses one and if it helped at all or is just another un-necessary tool to keep in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WEN.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	189419  
Old 07-19-2024, 02:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If it's brand new, CDI, the company that paints all Winnebago RVs, recommends not applying any wax at all for at least 90 day.
They also emphatically told me that the application of any type of ceramic coating will void the CDI paint warranty, which can run for up to 3 years.
Scubadude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 11:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I tried on of those. You might like it but since I'm full time it wasn't worth the space. I wasn't good with it either so it was a skill thing.

I don't get really good even look by hand but it isn't bad and after 3 months when I come back with the wash wax all it look much better.