Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2024, 07:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Where do you go for chassis maintenance 2002 Spirit Class C

I am not new to RVing, having several trailers previous, but now with a motor home there are a few new challenges. Since my unit is older, 2002, but in excellent condition, I would like to have some maintenance checks done on the chasis, some of which i just cannot do myself. I would like to have the brakes, transmission, etc. checked since i do not have previous service records.

Where do you typically go for this kind of work? My motor home is located near the Wisconsin Dells area. Are RV dealers the only place to typically go? Appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Bzerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:33 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

In our area we have several convenient independent truck service shops that are willing and able to do quality routine maintenance work on our F53. Just last week I had a truck shop around the corner pull the front wheels and brakes to repack the bearings. There are several other around that also willing to do quality truck work on this class A. Stop in and chat with them before hand to see their willingness to work on your rig for the stype of service you need. I have found thier proces to be evry reasonable compared to what one has to pay for any service at a major RV dealer who many times will farm out chassis work.

For intense major engine or chassis issues I go to a commercial Ford truck service center in Alabama about 100 miles away.

I never use an RV dealership for chassis work.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 11:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Like Joe I have found two places nearby that do chassis work - one is a truck repair place and the other an RV repair but NOT a dealer. And, I"m aware of at least one other shop that would work.

Pretty much anywhere that services commercial trucks is setup for work on your 2002 RV Chassis. Your rig was available with both a Ford or Chevy chassis and that might need to be taken into consideration when choosing a shop. But maybe not.

And, of course, the WI Dells is just 250 from Forest City, IA where your RV was built. But, I wouldn't go there unless I had a list of issues with the "house" portion of your rig to take care of besides maintenance.
Old 06-05-2024, 05:43 PM   #4
ACB
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the other reviewers. I had a Spirit, and other class C’s up to 32’ long.

We have a very good local shop in our area that does primarily cars & trucks but as long as they can fit your rig, a E350 or E 450 chassis is the same as any other as far as brakes, engine, ac. Etc.

There are good repair shops out there. Visit and make friends.
Don’t go to the dealer. Waits are too long and too expensive. Anyway- that’s my opinion and experience.

Good luck
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 04:02 PM   #5
Ted & Lynne

me and my wife use the Ford dealer as they have a commercial truck service dept a mile from our house. we do need to make appointments, but we like having the chassis serviced there. we are lucky because our cars can also go there. just be comfortable with the place you go. i think an independent mechanic may be a little cheaper for the generator but the dealership had someone that could do Cummins so we had them do it.

Tags
maintenance, class c, chassis