Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2024, 10:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterization Questions 2014 Sightseer 30A

I have a 2014 Sightseer 30A. Last year a dealer winterized the rig. I did not have time. But this year I will be doing it. I have reviewed the manual, and the two methods: Method 1: blow out the lines or 2: Use antifreeze. The manual describes both methods. But I have two questions:

Question 1:

Method 1 mentions leveling the rig and draining the fresh water tank, and method 2 does not. I would think draining the fresh water tank would be necessary. Is it?

Question 2:

How much antifreeze is required? The manual mentions 2-3gal. Is that what you’ve found?

Thanks for your comments.
Jon
Jleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are many things which a person might decide to do a bit different, os knowing WHY is critical before changing the guidelines.

But for your questions, Yes, definitely drain the fresh water tank as well as both holding tanks. Water expands and can break any of the tank if it is cold enough, long enough and enough liquid in the tanks. But then there are things you can do.
How much antifreeze? That can have different answers that you may want to consider. I keep a jug or two on hand.

Two methods and which fits may depend on what equipment you have. I have a compressor, so blowing the water out of the lines is a natural for me.
But I also know that I can make mistakes and there may be several spoonful of water left to drain back down to some low spot and collect. That can mean a fitting, which is the more prone item to break, may be left with water in it.
I find blowing may not be 100%.

But then when I look at using antifreeze, I also have some questions. It seems a real waste to put a bunch of anitfreeze and leave it in the lines, only to throw it away in the spring. I'm not fond of throwing things out and having to buy new!
So I look at what the antifreeze does for me.

Antifreeze mixes with any water left in the lines to make them only become semi-hard and not expand enough to break things.

So I modified what I do as I have time and equipment to do what I consider a better job with less expense!

I spent a lot of time when first starting with buying old beaters and rebuilding them. I soon found fixing freeze damage was not a good idea! I stay well away from letting freeze damage happen!

My modified routine covers me in both ways and saves money as well.
I drain and blow out the water lines to remove as much water as practical, add antifreeze and run it through the lines. Then I remove and reclaim much of it in the bottles it came out of by blowing the lines again but not down the drain.
This makes me have any water I may have missed, mixed with antifreeze. At the same time, I only lose the amount of anitfreeze I run down the drains to protect the tanks and traps.

Belt, suspenders, and an added hope and prayer?
I'm okay with that becasue I KNOW I'm covered if a I missed on some small point. I've got lots more time to prevent damage than I do to FIX damage!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Great ideas!
Old 09-03-2024, 01:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I guess most of your decision process could depend on where you live. Lets say down south where it NEVER freezes blowing out would be ok (in my mind). Other than that I am a 100% fan of using the RV antifreeze. I have lived in the cold areas of the north, now in Branson Mo area where it seldom freezes, however the last two years we have had major freezing temp.

It only takes alittle water freezing to turn into a bigger problem. I drain the fresh water tank and the holding tanks, also drain the water heater. I leave the plug but thats just me. Now I am not a dollar wise as Rich as spending the 3-4 dollar a gallon, times 4, sure beats spending much more on frozen lines or fixtures. Most of the big box stores will even have sales on RV anti-freeze, saving more moey. I leave the anti-freeze in the lines over the winter, I just feel more comfortable doing it that way.

I will use between 3 and 4 gallons. By the time you run it through all of your fixtures and pour some down the drain. Do not forget your outside shower if you have one.

Good Luck take your time and follow the manual.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Point on weather in the Springfield /Branson area? That's home for me and I can verify that things change suddenly at times. We have owned old rentals in Springfield and it can certainly surprise, going down to -14 occasionally!
Those surprises are what leads me to doing a bit extra when the weather is nice so that I don't have to rush out in the cold when I find the forecast has changed!
I would rather work four hours when it is 50 than one hour when it is 20!

Most of my life was in, out, and around Springfield when I could get there and then when I retired the first few times, we spent 10 or so on the lake near Blue Eye.
In all that time, I was never able to say what the weather was going to be next week, so worked harder to avoid the last minute disappointment.

I learned to hate winter but after a few years here, I'm learning to hate summer even worse!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Where we live we get down to -20º F or lower, and most years we get one to two weeks where the high never gets above 0º F. I blow out the water lines and put AF in the drains, about a quart each in the two sinks and then 2 quarts in the black tank. I don't do AF in the lines and I haven't had any issues. YMMV
Old 09-03-2024, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

THanks for you help!

Tags
winter, sightseer