Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2023, 02:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

120 outlet in an 2017 Era 70X

Hi, have a 2017 era 170....
1.when is the 120v ac outlet active ? Thru inverter? Only when generator On ? Or only if shore line 30A is connected?

2. Does the house /coach batt charge when generator is On ? Or only thru solar or when chassis engine/ motor is On ?

3. I can start the chassis engine with house /coach batt by pushing the button BUT, if I have a low house batt, can the chassis batt be used to start the Onan gen ?

Please advise, James R. Era 170
Jjrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like somebody has a new RV to sort out??
Welcome to the group and hope you find it a good place to get some of those small details worked out!

You did a good job on getting us MOST of the info we need to give you the correct answers but for real details when we look at drawings, we also need to know which model of Era 170 as it looks like there are six!

But in looking, I think the answers for those questions are going to be pretty much the same, so I will give you a link to choose which if you want to look at the whole picture but throw out some ideas of what I think is correct on all the models.
This should get you to the correct model if you sort it down to which and then look at the "110 installation diagrams" if you need more more or the whole thing.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

It reads something like a road map. If you start at the cord or generator, they both feed to a transfer switch, which will choose which is active and pass the power on to the load center where it then spreads out to all the smaller breakers, feeding each set of wires and items.
So that part is automatic and takes care of which to use! Cord or generator should feed it all but there are some things which will control different items in the different RV when you ask for too much power. For instance there is a load shedding item which will feed power to an AC heater OR the air concitioner but not both at the same time! But that changes with which model!

So you may want to sort that down to which model you have?

But I see no mention of an inverter? Perhaps you have the wrong term? An inverter takes battery and makes AC, while a converter does the opposite and uses AC to make DC to charge your batteries.
Normally the converter will keep you supplied with DC for RV use and at the same time work to keep the coach batteries charged while you are plugged into power or generator running. Think of the batteries as a "pantry" where excess is stored for when you may need it?
Then when you shut off or disconnect from power, the batteries will run the inside DC stuff as long as they last!

When you have used much of the coach battery power, there should be a pretty full chassis battery waiting to start the engine. They are set up to be seperated when camped but connected together when the RV engine is running! MAGIC!

So when you find the coach batteries may be down and you want to start the generator, it may be dragging and they are often kind of slow to start.
But you have that seperate chassis battery that should still be good after driving in to camp.
That makes it pretty good thinking to always start the RV engine first as it starts quicker/better and THEN start the generator to run long enough to get some charge back into the coach batteries!
The engine alternator charges the chassis but as we drive and they are connected together, it is also big enough to put some charge into both chassis and coach! It is a somewhat slow chemical process and if you use the camper for 8 hours it can't fully recharge them in one hour!

The operation is somewhat a two way deal! The RV engine will connect them together while running to charge both. The button on the dash can work the other way and if you have a weak chassis/start battery, pushing the switch can let the coach battery work to "jump start" the engine!
1. AC outlets are hot only when feeding them AC from generator or cord If I am correct and you have no inverter. OR has somebody added an inverter at some point? If added, it may be that you have some oulet fed only when that inverter is on?? But we have no info on added items!
2. Yes, they should charge on either generator or cord!
3. Yes, Start RV, then start generator as best method! The engine normally starts much better than the generator so less chance of running all down before one starts but once started engine will charge both or generator will charge only coach if engine is then turned off!

Enjoy!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

just to make sure I understand it correctly....

hi richard, thanks for your detailed explanation... yeah, i thought i have an inverter but may be i don't ... my 2017 era 170 manual did not have an insert re: an inverter...not that I've seen at least.... i would think that it should have one but...

so, I will check the AC plates with a volt meter/plug in indicator with the gen On and see if i have power; vs with shore 30A, i Should..... without the gen ON , i don't have 120Vac so, I probably don't have an inverter.... that's my thought...

btw, you said that to start the generator with a weak coach battery (which i currently am at/did buy 2 31group AGMs to put in/replace) , i should be able to with just the chassis battery after the Engine is turned On and in this case, i don't have to push the button on the lower dash to do this ? ( i have to push the button to start the Engine ( of the chassis) with the coach batteries though.... ).... did I get that correct ?

lastly, re: #2, the house/coach battery essentially charges through solar ,generator and when Engine ON as well as when shore power (30A) plugged in ? 4 ways ?? which means i have a convertor in the RV somewhere to do this..

thanks for your help..

james R
2017 Winn Era 70X
Old 07-18-2023, 03:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjrho View Post
i thought i have an inverter but may be i don't ...
According to the Brochure for your model, no inverter was included even as an option.

The 70X was available with a generator as an option - does yours have the generator?

I think with the Touring Coach like yours they expect you to be camping at only the finest resort campgrounds with shore power, hor d'oeuvres and wine tastings. Hence, no inverter needed.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, I think you have the right ideas on things.
Engine running both battery group are connected automatic. Nothing manual to do.
When engine not running, push the button to connect together for jump start of engine!
There are several ways to get the coach batteries to charge. The solar or there is a 45 amp converter shown.
That converter will make 13-14 VDC to charge the coach batteries when plugged into shore power OR when generator is running as either will give the 110AC to use4 to "convert" to DC.

Converters are much smaller and quieter than older. WE could find them before by listening for the HUMM!!
your converter may be hiding and staying quiet? So I took some pictures to help locate but it may be in a closed space?

Click these snips for better view.

Looking from above at an angle to inside, it is the yellow item kind of below the TV and across from a speaker?

Click image for larger version

Name:	conv.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	186677

Or looking down from above more, looks somewhat below the TV and it likely IS in a compartment.

Name:	conver 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	186678Click image for larger version

Name:	comverter 3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	186679

But the happy thin is that you likelly do not need to get to it as it will just set there quietly and do it's thing without much help needed!
It has a cooling fan on the end and that may hum to you after it is worked hard?
Old 07-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Info on the 110AC side!

Red or green to transfer switch, sends it to breakers as blue line.
Thing to trip us is if the GFCI trips, that line goes dead until reset!

Heat or cool but not at the same time and it is automatic!

Click to see better!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	era 110.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	186680  
Old 07-18-2023, 04:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

2017 era 70x inverter vs converter

oh wow.... that's funny...well, good thing is, there is a 12v and USB /5V and since most of our stuff runs off those, inverter may not be all necessary ; although the MRS. wants it for her hair dryer....lol

as to converter...oh ok, the battery /coach needs it to be charged from shore and generator ...ok...

i've had the unit for 5 years now and used it 2x; the 2nd time, was 3 wks ago, actually put water in the fresh tank and went on a 2000 miles/5 days , through az/co/ut/nv back to so cal .. and learned about the unit and found all the little neuances about it...to fix and improved.... learned to fix the MCD shades, gonna put a soft start for the AC so i can get a honda eu2200i to use for power for it; as Onan is too loud and I can't sleep with that thing On... still gotta fix the leaking shower control .... any ideas on that ?
I have not even touched the heater control.... i don't need it so far....lol

my next thing is to goto Agilent Offroad and install their RIP kit for better handling on the road...

james R
2017 era 70x
Old 07-18-2023, 04:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

uh, how /where is the GFCI on my unit ? may be i need to check that too and make sure it's reset.... but i would not know at this point, as I've never had the RV connected to a 'shore power'.... i think i ll go home tonight and put the 15A from home and connect to the RV with the pig tail and see if there is 120 vac in the sockets....if not, the GCFI must have tripped likely...which I need to find out where....

thanks

james R
Old 07-18-2023, 07:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Looking at drawings without having the RV onhand to check can get into conflicts on info!
The drawing above shows one GFCI but the parts catalog shows there are two???
One on face of the cabinet but also one that looks like at the back door? That second may be an option,etc that is not shown on drawings or maybe not even there?
Since not on the drawings, no way to tell if it feeds other outlets but I might guess that it is there due to outside items are required to protect since you are prone to being well grounded standing on ground!!

This I'm pretty sure of but the second may/may not be there as a possible option??

Name:	gfci1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	186681

Name:	gfci2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	186682

Maybe the hair dry will work like my wife? She took a shower and noticed the plants drying up, so went out to water them and came back to say her hair was dry.
But then she needed another shower to get the sweat off!!

I'll swap you a Central Texas hot day for a Southern Ca day?
I loved "June gloom"
It's the price I'm paying for being close to grandkids!!
Old 07-19-2023, 04:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Era 170 electrical

Well, June gloom was unusually long n cold this year ... now we are getting July heat like it's August/Sept ... hot 🔥....
This summer is gonna be a killer.....
Old 07-19-2023, 10:06 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjrho View Post
gonna put a soft start for the AC so i can get a honda eu2200i to use for power for it; as Onan is too loud and I can't sleep with that thing On...
Hi James,
Camping in the summer heat can really be an issue. Especially this summer. But generally, you'll want to either head for higher altitudes above 7,000 ft for cooler temps or stay where there is shore power connections.

Running the generator all day and all night is not ideal. It won't hurt the generator per se, but it will drone on all night and use up a lot of fuel and make your neighbors grumpy at you, too.

The idea of getting a portable generator that you can move away from the RV is a good one but it cannot run all day and all night. The Honda you mentioned sips fuel on light loads, but can only run 3 to 4 hours running a high load A/C. So, you won't get a full nights rest with it.

The SoftStart will make it easier to start the compressor on your A/C but it will still use plenty of power.

So, if you're looking for a full nights rest with the A/C running all night look for shore power.

If you want to avoid busy commercial campgrounds, there are some National Forest Campgrounds deep in the woods with shore power and just about all Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds located at lakes and reservoirs have shore power available too.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Have you checked out the Sprinter Forum? It's not part of our websites but it is a great help for Sprinter based RVs.

Here's a link to the Sprinter RV forum:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...-conversions.4
Old 07-19-2023, 03:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

summer RVing

good info...i see....ok.
i will try to goto cooler places but in aUG, I have burning man in northern NV where it will be 105 to 110F with alkaline sand dust blowing into the RV... lol... i heard it's the ultimate RV destroyer..... i plan to bring a 6 gal gas tank and connect it to the eu2200i to keep it going for longer if i need it to. ..or get tri-fuel kit and may be run it on LPG , which then will decrease the gen output tho and may not be suitable for what i want to do... we ll see....
anyway, tnx for the link to the sprinter RV forum...

james R
Old 07-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #14
Site Team

For Burning Man, maybe run the generator all night and get some ear plugs for sleeping????

PS. Wow, I've been watching the Gone with the Wynns channel on YouTube for over 9 years! They did a bunch of great RV videos for years. Then 6 years ago they sold the RV bought a catamaran and went sailing. I still follow their sailing channel every Sunday. They are 8 years older and better at making videos now.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

ooh, good stuff..tnx for the link... yeah, first time going to black rock city... hopefully it s not too hot this year but.... i have a feeling it's gonna be a scorcher this year.... and that aweful alkaloid dust... lol