Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question 2001 Journey monitor panel stopped working

Hello all. So I go out to do some work in the rig this morning and find that the monitor panel that's about mid-way back is hardly working. No power to the MicroAir thermostat, no power to the EMS. The Inverter panel shows nominal power (and indicates 50 amps), and I do get indicator lights when I push the toggles to check tank levels. I cannot start the generator from there, and the hours readout is blank. All the breakers are set and reset, the 110v and 12v lines throughout front to back all have power.

I can only think of two possible things that could have happened. We did go through thunderstorms over the weekend; a rarity for here in Vegas in August but Hurricane Hilary was not to be deterred. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of a strike though I suppose a surge may have happened. I do keep my rig plugged in to a 14-50 whenever it's on the pad.

Secondarily, in prep for the storm, I went out to bring in the rear slide-out. It came in about 3/4 of the way and then something seemed to jam. I re-extended it and went out to look and a bar of some sort under the slideout had come loose from its moorings and was dangling. When that pinched was when it jammed before. I re-secured it to the body and the slideout manuevered perfectly in and out from there. I brought it all the way in, which is where it is now.

I did check the little purple 3-amp fuse on the control board in my electrical box and it seems to be ok.

I'd really appreciate any guidance any of you may have. With this panel not working I can't turn on the basement air conditioning which makes it unpleasant when I'm out working on the remodel.
ChadVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would suggest first doing a few things to define what systems are working and what not as there are threebasic electrical systems on the Rv.
First and easier to verify is the 110AC as it should show up on easy to check things like the microwave, Air cond., and outlets?
What works and what doesn't but keeping in mind that the thermostat and controls for the heat and air may require 12VDC from the coach system.

Which brings the question of what parts of the coach 12VDC work or not?
Inside lights, vent fans, water pump are all on the coach battery setup, so again what parts of those do/don't work? Are any battery disconnect switches on?

What about starting the RV? It is a different system than the other coach 12VDC, so it may be working.
Also when the engine is running, if it starts, does it then make any of the coach system items work. Reaon that may be true is that they are connected toegether when the engine runs and that can tell us that the coach battery or connections may be bad.

I would not worry the monitor panel until finding out what parts of the RV are good or bad as the panel is more an indicator than a real item for use.
I would also turn off the inverter until I verify what is working as it is likely to run the coach battery down if there is not 110AC supplied to the coach. It also makes the question of whether the shore power is working more difficult to tell if good or not dut to it being possible you will see power to various parts but not from shore, instead from usning the batteries to "make" the AC!
No need to add confusion as to where the power might be coming from until you know more.
I would not expect a power surge from the storm to be involved as that would likely have to come into the house panel, through it to the shore power breaker, past it and into the RV main breaker. Just not something I would expect to find getting that far and through so many breakers if nothing in the house is out??
Surges are often something that we get a REAL notice that they stopped by!

See what's up and we can begin to chase it but better to have an idea of which system as it cuts the chase so much!
Second point before getting into drawings? There is conflict on the year of your RV. Is it 2001 or 2002 as in your profile?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hey There, and thank you for the reply. My rig is a 2002... must have fat-fingered that one.

I think you're onto something with the 12volt system. I'm not getting any power from either the coach battery nor the chassis setup. I've just plugged in my handy-dandy 12v jumpstarter... I ought to be able to post more in a few hours. Thanks for the guidance!
Old 08-24-2023, 04:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

So I was able to get enough charge through to start the generator and after a few minutes I could start the motor. I'm now positive the batteries are the problem. Unfortunately my RV pad is sandwiched between my house and a cinder-block fence, so I can't get the battery compartment door to open all the way on the pad. I'll pull it forward and begin replacing the batteries, but as you'll see above, I've developed a new problem...

Tags
journey, panel