Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2003 Chalet LI-BIM 225 install?

Hey guys, I know this type of question is asked a lot, and I did do a lot of reading, but still have some questions. This thread helped a LOT, its about a Class A (Chalet is a Minnie Winnie class C )
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...er-358979.html
But main main question is about the Ign and Sig connections on the LI-BIM. In the images in that thread there is no connection to either terminal but in the quick setup guide for it they look to be needed.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-c...uick-Guide.pdf

I have read that 2000 - 2005 Winnies use the Aux start as the way to charge the house batteries instead of a BIRD setup
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f260/engine-not-charging-house-battery-128152.html#post1223992

Does that mean the LI-BIM does not need those two connections?
ShreddinPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Team

There are a number of Li-BIM install videos on YouTube that may be of help to you. I don’t recall posts here that answer these questions directly. Also, you may want to try contacting Precision Circuits for advice.

Here’s a image that may or may not help you figure this out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	189633  
Old 08-15-2024, 08:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddinPB View Post
But main main question is about the Ign and Sig connections on the LI-BIM. In the images in that thread there is no connection to either terminal….
Are you sure about that? Those connections sure look to have wires on them to me in that photo, just obscured by that connector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0346.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	189634  
Old 08-15-2024, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddinPB View Post
I have read that 2000 - 2005 Winnies use the Aux start as the way to charge the house batteries instead of a BIRD setup
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f260/engine-not-charging-house-battery-128152.html#post1223992

Does that mean the LI-BIM does not need those two connections?
Be careful going by that old thread. First, it’s from before Winnie Owners was spun off from IRV2.com. So, it contains lots of non-Winnebago specific responses.

And as best I can tell instead of a BiRD device like some diesel motorhomes have, Winnebago uses Precision Circuits BIMs or Cole Hersee or Trombetta branded isolation solenoids to connect house and chassis batteries to the alternator charging. All do the same general things.

I think you are likely to find that you have an isolation solenoid with all these connections, too. I have not looked for your RVs wiring yet but will spend some time on it later.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:42 AM   #5
Site Team

I went to look for a 2003 Chalet Class C's wiring diagrams and found nothing. I can see some model info online, but nothing in Winnebago's online information. Not for 2002, 2003 or 2004.

The info I did see, said that it had a Ford E350 chassis. That would make it similar to a 2003 Minnie (300 series) rather than a Minnie Winnie (400 series) on a Ford E450 chassis.

Can you tell me the floor plan designation for your RV? I might be able to match it up with a Minnie floor plan and go from there. The 2003 Minnie had the following floor plans: 22E, 22R, 24F, 24V, 29B, and 31C.

By the way, I also checked the Brochure Archive and there are zero listings for that model name.
Old 08-15-2024, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Are you sure about that? Those connections sure look to have wires on them to me in that photo, just obscured by that connector.
At closer inspection, you might be correct there
Old 08-15-2024, 11:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I went to look for a 2003 Chalet Class C's wiring diagrams and found nothing. I can see some model info online, but nothing in Winnebago's online information. Not for 2002, 2003 or 2004.

The info I did see, said that it had a Ford E350 chassis. That would make it similar to a 2003 Minnie (300 series) rather than a Minnie Winnie (400 series) on a Ford E450 chassis.

Can you tell me the floor plan designation for your RV? I might be able to match it up with a Minnie floor plan and go from there. The 2003 Minnie had the following floor plans: 22E, 22R, 24F, 24V, 29B, and 31C.

By the way, I also checked the Brochure Archive and there are zero listings for that model name.
She has the E450 super duty chassis, Winnebago told me shes the rental version of the Minnie Winnie, 27 feet long.
I think this is the closest thing to it, none of the images match my actual RV. For instance these seem to show the battery cutoff solenoid and relay are in some compartment when mine are just screwed to the inside of the battery compartment.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files/Winnebago/Resources/Diagram/2003/03_427p_wiring.htm
edit: yeah zero info overall for it lol its been a journey
Old 08-15-2024, 11:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Be careful going by that old thread. First, it’s from before Winnie Owners was spun off from IRV2.com. So, it contains lots of non-Winnebago specific responses.

And as best I can tell instead of a BiRD device like some diesel motorhomes have, Winnebago uses Precision Circuits BIMs or Cole Hersee or Trombetta branded isolation solenoids to connect house and chassis batteries to the alternator charging. All do the same general things.

I think you are likely to find that you have an isolation solenoid with all these connections, too. I have not looked for your RVs wiring yet but will spend some time on it later.
My setup looks like the first photo in that thread, just with them installed vertically rather than next to each other
Old 08-15-2024, 11:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I also chased the Chalet name and found none. Maybe for future use, it would be worthwhile to not only look at the wiring as that is harder to sort but look at the parts group?
This is parts:
https://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
This is plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

I believe it is true that the Chalet is a rental version, meaning it has less for renters to tear up so easily! But if you can match up the basics like where cabinet, etc go and possibly match plumbing, those would seem to be things that they would not totally redesign just for a limited rental setup?

Once you have that ID down, keep that in mind when searching for info.
Any chance there is the standard label next to the driver that gives all the basic info and possibly lots of help on ID?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 12:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I also chased the Chalet name and found none. Maybe for future use, it would be worthwhile to not only look at the wiring as that is harder to sort but look at the parts group?
This is parts:
https://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
This is plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

I believe it is true that the Chalet is a rental version, meaning it has less for renters to tear up so easily! But if you can match up the basics like where cabinet, etc go and possibly match plumbing, those would seem to be things that they would not totally redesign just for a limited rental setup?

Once you have that ID down, keep that in mind when searching for info.
Any chance there is the standard label next to the driver that gives all the basic info and possibly lots of help on ID?
There is, I was just there tho and didnt get a pic! Im going to try to go back tomorrow
Old 08-15-2024, 12:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

As an alternate idea for sorting the wiring, be aware that Winndoes some things to help us sort our troubles!
One is their practice of putting ID on smaller wires and using a code for the larger like battery cables!
On older RV, the tape used to ID battery cables may be lost but if found it can be a real help! Click these snips for best view!

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	189635

Then on smaller wires, look for something like this:

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	189636
We can get info on the "from" and "to" of a wire, using this chart:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

If they used the same factory methods to build your RV, this may be a way to sort some of the wires without tracing them end to end?

If we can sort out what"standard" Rv build you have before named "Chalet", we may then be able to spot the wiring schematics?
But this may have to do until then!
Old 08-15-2024, 05:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As an alternate idea for sorting the wiring, be aware that Winndoes some things to help us sort our troubles!
One is their practice of putting ID on smaller wires and using a code for the larger like battery cables!
On older RV, the tape used to ID battery cables may be lost but if found it can be a real help! Click these snips for best view!
Attachment 189635

Then on smaller wires, look for something like this:
Attachment 189636
We can get info on the "from" and "to" of a wire, using this chart:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

If they used the same factory methods to build your RV, this may be a way to sort some of the wires without tracing them end to end?

If we can sort out what"standard" Rv build you have before named "Chalet", we may then be able to spot the wiring schematics?
But this may have to do until then!
Im like 94% sure its this one.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...30v_wiring.htm
Out of the three Minnie Winnies listed from that year, thats the only one that has the batteries located where mine are, more towards the rear wheels where the door is. The doors on the other 2 models are up near the cab, mines just in front of the rear wheels
Old 08-15-2024, 06:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Good deal on finding which you have!
Once you have that, this should be the right drawing set to look at the info in one form like you can see the mode solenoid and battery disconnect relay. Good for spoting some points that are harder to see in other type drawings.
Sheet 4 of this one has some good stuff:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_141667.pdf

But to get ideas of where specific wires go, this may be better:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_141668.pdf
Look down to sheet 6 for this section shown in a different way.
One big point may be that wire labeled LR? It is the wire from the front switch or when the engine is running. It brings 12VDC down to the coil inside the solenoid. Then the coil get ground in two ways. There is a wire FM brings ground down but the mounting screw for the solenoid also makes ground for the coil.
That coil is what closes the contacts inside to connect battery on the left side (usually chassis) to the right side (usually coach)

Sorry, no help on the conversion beyond that point as I've not been there!

Tags
install