Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2023, 09:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2023 Micro Minnie 2108TB Power Center Model NonFlex

I would really appreciate it if someone with a 2023 Micro Minnie 2108TB would post the WFCO power center model it contains. Is it the WF 8900 AD series? If so, which specific model? This is very difficult information to discover! I want to read the specs to see if it autodetects LiFePo4 batteries for charging and how many amps it charges the battery with and what the charging protocol is.

Thanks in advance for any information.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

WF 8955 AD

This is the answer to the question. I ended up purchasing my unit and now have it in hand. Appears that the power center can charge lithium batteries with up to 55 amp of current for charging. Automatic detection
Old 08-08-2023, 02:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

BigE,
I aso have a 2023 2108TB, and had the same question. I was advised by a customer service rep at WFCo that a drop in replacement wouldn't work well. The reason being there is too much distance between the charger and the battery and that would cause a voltage drop prohibiting charging a lithium battery.

Here is a cut-and-paste from an email WFCO sent me:

Quote:
"Following up on our conversation… Foundationally, LiFePO4 batteries operate dramatically different compared to lead acid batteries and just because a lead acid battery charged within a system, it does not guarantee a LiFePO4 battery will be a drop-in replacement and will perform 100% to spec. There are multiple system impacts to how LiFePO4 batteries will perform, both with a converter/charger and with other system design parameters.

All converters, not just WFCO, will be negatively impacted by the following conditions:

Voltage Drop:
Lithium batteries are significantly more rigid in how they receive current from chargers. If voltage is not within the acceptable range, their BMS will block or reduce acceptance of current from a charging source. Lead acid batteries would take whatever current was available and had no method to block a charge current. Depending on the resistance and/or length of the full run (there and back) of the battery cable from the charger, there is likely to be some amount of voltage drop. We have tested and have seen up to a drop of 1.5V dc from the output of the charger, which dramatically impacts how a lithium battery will accept a charge.
The reality of this situation is that regardless of the converter/charger brand, when there is voltage drop, lithium battery charging will be negatively impacted.
To check voltage drop, we ask that a voltage reading be taken at the converter and then at the battery when the charger is operating.

Solar charge controllers:
When solar is connected in a RV, there is a likelihood that it will impact how a converter/charger is able to efficiently charge batteries.
The impact can be a result of a couple of different factors. The first is if the voltage output setting is higher than the converter/charger setting, the higher voltage output will be take priority and the converter/charger current that is available to the battery will be dramatically reduced or completely eliminated. The second involves the same principle, however the disparity in voltage will be at the battery, as a result of voltage drop. In this event, even if the converter/charger output is the same or higher than the solar controller, if there is excess voltage drop at the battery that reduces the converter/charger line below the solar controller line, the solar feed will again take priority over the higher capacity converter/charger source.

Our firmware progression with Auto-Detect is in an effort to overcome the external factors that are impacting how batteries, especially LiFePO4 chemistry, charge in a RV. Beyond that, as more brands of LiFePO4 batteries become available in the RV market, the parameters that this product needs to operate within are widening dramatically. Not all LiFePO4 batteries are created equal and there is a large disparity in how they foundationally operate.

Our number one goal is to provide the best possible product to simplify the RV experience as much as possible and to ensure our customers are taken care of. RV electrical systems are quickly becoming more complex and there are many variables that did not impact the system before that are very impactful now. Like most other areas, as technology advances and systems become more complex, design flexibility is reduced, and small things become more impactful."

We don't have a real need for lithium so we probably won't do anything in that area, but I would be interested in hearing what you do (if anything) and how it works.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Very helpful Blue Sky,

Thanks for the post.

My next step is to either increase the size of the wire from the converter/charger to the battery to lower the voltage drop, or just go ahead and upgrade further to a 2000W Victron MultiPlus which is probably the way I am going to proceed.

This next statement almost implies that the upgrade will be sort of a drop in.

Quote:
Our firmware progression with Auto-Detect is in an effort to overcome the external factors that are impacting how batteries, especially LiFePO4 chemistry, charge in a RV. Beyond that, as more brands of LiFePO4 batteries become available in the RV market, the parameters that this product needs to operate within are widening dramatically. Not all LiFePO4 batteries are created equal and there is a large disparity in how they foundationally operate.
I am going to read this over again and again to figure out what they are saying. I aleady upsized my lines from the battery to the point of connection where the battery used to be placed, so that voltage drop should be minimized. I can either do the same from the batteries to the converter/charger or just bail and eliminate the charger and replace it with the Victron inverter as indicated above. I wish I had a wiring diagram for the unit.

By the way, I also upgraded the solar charge controller to a 30 amp epever and now have two 230AH LiFeP04 batteries connected in parallel. I also placed the second 200-watt panel on top.

I think I am heading for an inverter hook up.

Wish I could get the wiring diagram for the unit.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Wish I could get the wiring diagram for the unit.
You might try contacting Winnebago Towables Customer Care at (574) 825-8052. Sometimes they can send out a PDF for things like this when asked.

Tags
power