Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2024, 10:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

7 Pin Towing Connector Issue w/Toad to 2009 Journey

Hi, We have a 2009 Journey with a towing light problem, and I'm hoping for suggestions to troubleshoot. Here are the details:

When I plug in the connectors to the toad, no lights work on the towed vehicle.

All driving lights on the RV work perfectly.

I used a testing light (confirmed ground continuity) to test all pins, with no power going to each of them when the function is engaged (i.e., left turn signal on, with no power going to the left turn towing connector pin).

Confirmed that the outside pins on the towing connector have continuity with pins on the rear of the connector.

No continuity between the left turn signal wire (on rear, left light) and the left turn signal pin on the towing connector (same for running lights).

Checked fuses in the chassis fuse box (work fine, which isn't a surprise given that lights work fine on the RV.

Back story: We ran into an issue when towing our F150, with the tow hitch bolts (holding brackets to the toad frame) breaking off on one site of the toad. While scary, minimal damage. However, I had to do a "roadside" repair, including the removal of the front bumper and all electrical to replace broken bolts. Once I put it back together, I ran into the electrical issue. I wonder if I rewired something incorrectly and popped a fuse.

I wonder if there is a fuse that protects the current that goes to the towing electrical. If so, where?

The wires that go to the towing electrical connector are all together in a sheath, running towards the front of the vehicle (passenger side). It is difficult to trace these wires. The wiring is not just going from rear taillights to the towing connector. If I can't find the "real" problem, I will rewire, using the wires that go to the rear lights. I'd rather not do this, given there may be diodes or fuses to project these very expensive lights.

Any trouble shooting suggestions?
Any access to the Freightliner wiring diagram (I don't it's a Winnebago diagram).

Thank you for any help you can offer. -- Steve
S.T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 10:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.T. View Post
Hi, We have a 2009 Journey with a towing light problem, and I'm hoping for suggestions to troubleshoot. Here are the details:

When I plug in the connectors to the toad, no lights work on the towed vehicle.

All driving lights on the RV work perfectly.

I used a testing light (confirmed ground continuity) to test all pins, with no power going to each of them when the function is engaged (i.e., left turn signal on, with no power going to the left turn towing connector pin).

Confirmed that the outside pins on the towing connector have continuity with pins on the rear of the connector.

No continuity between the left turn signal wire (on rear, left light) and the left turn signal pin on the towing connector (same for running lights).

Checked fuses in the chassis fuse box (work fine, which isn't a surprise given that lights work fine on the RV.

Back story: We ran into an issue when towing our F150, with the tow hitch bolts (holding brackets to the toad frame) breaking off on one site of the toad. While scary, minimal damage. However, I had to do a "roadside" repair, including the removal of the front bumper and all electrical to replace broken bolts. Once I put it back together, I ran into the electrical issue. I wonder if I rewired something incorrectly and popped a fuse.

I wonder if there is a fuse that protects the current that goes to the towing electrical. If so, where?

The wires that go to the towing electrical connector are all together in a sheath, running towards the front of the vehicle (passenger side). It is difficult to trace these wires. The wiring is not just going from rear taillights to the towing connector. If I can't find the "real" problem, I will rewire, using the wires that go to the rear lights. I'd rather not do this, given there may be diodes or fuses to project these very expensive lights.

Any trouble shooting suggestions?
Any access to the Freightliner wiring diagram (I don't it's a Winnebago diagram).

Thank you for any help you can offer. -- Steve
Does your chassis have a trailer recognition module? If so, it will have a separate fuse. Mine is in the regular chassis fuse box, although my chassis is not a Freightliner.
Old 08-17-2024, 11:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Big B, Thank you for your response and worthy thought. I do not see a fuse labeled as a trailer recognition module, but I will look again to see if there is anything labeled similar to that.

If anyone else has a Freightliner chassis and knows about a trailer recognition module, will you please let me know? Thank you.
Old 08-17-2024, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I find it best to try to sort things in small sections as a way to cut the confusion. Divide and conquer?
But I'm not clear on what the exact problem is? Are only the left turn signals out or is it ALL lights going to the toad? You mention checking continuity with a test light?

I would first try to get the correct voltages and ground to the connector on the RV, before looking at whether it gets to the toad. Do you have info on which pin in that connecter feeds power to the tether and on to the toad?

Can you say which lights, stop, running and turn signals work at the connector? If all are out, it might indicate that the ground is bad as they do often use the same ground for all lights.
Have you verified the ground to the connector is good? I would not involve the tether and toad wiring until I got it working as far as the connector on the RV. I would not recommend trying to get the toad to work until the connector is right as I try to work the problem in smaller stages.
First the RV, then to the connector, then tether and last see the toad work? There is little point in checking voltage to a portion , then plugging the toad or tether in which may have shorts in it which blows fuses. That can make you go back and start over, checking for power that is then gone!

If you have a situation where NONE of the lights are getting power to the connector on the RV, it would seem extreme to suspect a fuse as taillights, brake lights and turn signals will usually have different feeds. For ALL to be dead, leans toward a bad common ground?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 06:18 PM   #5
Just Trying to Help

Steve-

Wiring diagrams for your 2009 Journey 34Y are here. According to the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram, view BB, there's a Freightliner fuse box inside the last openable exterior storage compartment on the driver's side. I'd expect the trailer hitch connector fuses to be in that box.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 01:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

As Mark said, in the rear compartment where your 50amp electrical cord is. There is a metal cover that you will have to unscrew, then the fuses are labeled very well.

My 07 Meridian had same problem changed blowen fused all work great after.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 06:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your help. Yes, it was the second fuse box (in rear) that housed fuses dedicated to the 7 pin connector. The fuse box in the front housed the fuses to run the lights on the rig. I've just replaced the popped fuses, and the test light indicates all is working as it should. Thanks again, Steve
Old 08-18-2024, 06:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mark, Thank you for the wiring diagram URL. I've book-marked the site and will refer to it in the future. -- Steve

Tags
toad, towing, journey, tow