Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air horn components

I have a 2003 Itasca 40 foot motorhome. Air horns are not working. I know to check the horns with a compressor and I know where the fuse is located. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to check? Don't see the air horns or their location on the wiring diagrams.

Where is the compressor or solenoid located??

I appreciate the help. I love this group.
terrylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have the Air Horns worked in the past? I know on my 07 Itasca on the dash there is a switch to turn the Air Horns on. Could you have turned them off my mistake, or maybe that switch has gone bad.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I haven't checked the switch. The light does light up when selected. When switched to the on position, the only horns that work are the normal standard horns.

I appreciate the info. These things are beasts.
terrylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

No idea on this exact issue but the indicator lights can often be misleading. Due to keeping the wiring small at switches, it is often necessary to use very small wires and fuse them small and then use those wires to activate a relay that provides a different circuit to actually power things like horns that require higher current and larger wires. Think of the ignition switch and small wires compared to the battery cables to the starter solenoid?
So what we can get is a circuit makes the indicator light work but the circuit that makes the horn work may be a different one and on a different fuse.
Theory only and requires more looking but there are times when we need to look for a second circuit.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Still looking for info on airhorn?
I do not see which model 2003 Itasca and there doesn't seem to be a model which pops out as being 40 foot, so I did a random look for airhorn info and found this:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_141425.pdf
Sheet three at d-6,7,8 has the horn switch and can be traced back to other parts.
Looks like wires NK and NJ are the ones I would chase--- but first verify that this is the correct drawing for the model RV you have, first!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote