Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone moved the batteries 2011 Vista 35D?

I have a 2011 Vista 35D. The battery compartment is inside under the step. It is a very tight compartment. The house and chassis batteries don't look to be in great shape. I have two vmax tank 125 amp batteries that I took out of my 5th wheel when I sold it. I would like to use them for the Vista, but I don't think they are going in that tiny compartment.

Has anyone relocated the house batteries? I am thinking about putting them in the next compartment, drilling through the compartment wall and running new cables. Would there be any concerns with this? I would need to line the hole with something to keep the cables from rubbing on the metal edge.

What size cable should I use to run an extra 5-6 feet. I usually use 6amp cable for my solar stuff, but maybe 2 amp due to the extra distance?

Everything is working right now except bringing my main 13.5' slide in. Panel says low voltage and has me start the engine to bring it in.

I am new to motorhomes, but have had 5th wheels for about 10 yesrs.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I did not relocate, but added 2 more batteries when upgrading from the 2 low quality OEM NAPA marine batteries to 4 Costco Golf Cart Batteries. I continued to have 2 6V FLA golf cart batteries under the step and tied 2 more to the same common points the under step batteries connected to using 0 AWG copper cables. I added the other 2 batteries in a driver's side compartment so I wient with 2X 0 AWG cables for the B+ and B- runs to minimize the voltage drop when using the large 3,000 watt inverter I also added to my Vista. I also moved the B- battery common point from the OEM ground bar to a Victron battery monitor shunt.

There's technically nothing wrong with the under step battery location for FLA or AGMs, I would not relocate. The ventilation is needed as FLA or AGM can generate hydrogen gas under abnormal charging conditions that can not be allowed to build up in a closed basement compartment.

The under step location even has enough vertical height to go with a pair of group 24 golf cart batteries.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 03:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It seems like an awfully tight fit in there, plus it looks like you would have to tilt the to get them in because the front of the step doesn't open flat. Maybe I am missing something and need to take a closer look. These are 75lb 12v batteries.
Dimensions: 12.9"w x 6.8"d x 8.5"h
Old 09-11-2023, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
the front of the step doesn't open flat.
Doesn't the top of the step fully remove? Mine does (Adventurer) and I thought the Vista's step cover lifted off, too. Mind you, I'm mostly assuming here... and you know what that means.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Doesn't the top of the step fully remove? Mine does (Adventurer) and I thought the Vista's step cover lifted off, too. Mind you, I'm mostly assuming here... and you know what that means.
I believe the top removes, but you have to set them in from the top and slide them back.

I will take another look and do some measurements. This RV is new to me.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

What will fit is two group 24 width and length deep cycle coach batteries, plus the group 24 chassis battery. That's what the 2 OEM NAPA Coach and 1 OEM Ford Chassis battery are. There's room for taller golf cart batteries if they have the group 24 width and length. You will have to buy and install some battery straps to secure the taller golf cart batteries if you go that route.

Yes it is tight enough you need a battery lifting strap , in particular if you are replacing with batteries without integrated lifting straps, and have to angle the batteries slighty to insert and/or remove.

On a 2015 Vista stepwell battery comparthent you have to slide the step lid about 1" towards the door to get a lip to clear on the back. Then you can tilt the side facing the switches on the stepwell wall up and slide the step lid on out clearing the switches and the top step, then it comes right out. So far as I know they have never changed the engineering since the Vista was designed, and it followed the name changes with the same design over time ( Vista LX & Adventurer ).
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
What will fit is two group 24 width and length deep cycle coach batteries, plus the group 24 chassis battery. That's what the 2 OEM NAPA Coach and 1 OEM Ford Chassis battery are. There's room for taller golf cart batteries if they have the group 24 width and length. .
The vmax tanks are about 3 inches longer and 1/2 wider than the 24s. Thus the post about relocating them.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My thought with my Sightseer might be too move the chassis battery up front of the engine like many RV manufacturer do. That would give me space for three lithium batteries under the step.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:40 PM   #9
WinnieAdven38

I have a 2005 Adventurer with similar battery setup.

First - for your slide operation - you should always being running your engine. This is because you want maximum voltage when running the motor which powers your slide. Trying to run it with low voltage increases it's amp draw which is harder on the motor. I keep a small battery charge/maintainer hooked up to the engine battery all the time anyway in order to keep it's charge up. My model also included a small 10 watt solar panel to do this - but as I am not always parked in full sun it does not keep up.

Second - I installed 2 Trojan T-105 6v deep cycle batteries along side the engine battery under the steps and they all just fit - though it is tight, especially after I installed some bus bars, main battery fuse and battery switch down there as well. Since I have my main 1500 watt inverter in big the compartment just to the rear of the steps I wanted a better, more permanent channel for lots of wiring (I added solar, a Victron battery monitor gauge, a DC-DC charger, etc). So I drilled a large hole through through the front of that compartment and installed a 1 1/2" PVC plumbing pipe to connect it and the under step compartment, sealing it in place with a lot of GE silicone sealer.

With this larger wire channel available to connect these 2 compartments I was then able to install 2 more Trojan 6v batteries in that compartment as well. Used that for several years before going to Lithium batteries, as I got tired of the slow charging and poor performance of those Lead Acid batteries. So I replaced those 4 Trojan batteries with 400Ah of Lithium - and am still in awe of how well they perform. They hold double the usable charge, charge up MUCH faster, and reduced my battery weight by 128 lbs.

I cannot recommend Lithium batteries highly enough as they perform so well - especially after we replaced our refrigerator with a 10 cuFt all electric residential model - powered through it's own inverter. I bought Battle Born batteries 3 years ago to do my conversion - which are great batteries but costly. In doing very recent reviews of current Lithium battery offerings the best buys appear to be Li Time batteries. Less than 1/2 the price of the Battle Born but with great specs and builld quality.

So - the under step battery compartment is really a bit small to hold all the batteries we would like - especially as electrical needs grow and more electrical equipment is added. So you best option is to connect that compartment with the larger one to the rear of the RV. Best to use Lithium batteries there as the rear compartment is really not vented properly for Lead Acid battery use anyway.

Good luck!
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 09:47 PM   #10
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
I believe the top removes, but you have to set them in from the top and slide them back.

I will take another look and do some measurements. This RV is new to me.
I agree with you , the top comes off but the batteries are heavy, as you say, and have to tilt in a bit. For me, a senior, I don’t have the arm strength to try and get it in like that. I actually left a battery cable on the battery post to give me more leverage. Not good for the post. After changing the lead acid batteries out on my 2 year old Vista, I went to lithium. Yes, expensive, and that option doesn’t work for everyone, but the weight is considerably less, so easier to install, plus I wanted to upgrade the solar.

Some comments mention your battery compartment needs to be vented and they are correct. Lithium does not . That also allows me to add two more in a storage bay if I REALLY want to do more off grid.

Good luck. There are some good responses to your question
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries