Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2023, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Champion Dual Fuel 3400-watt Generator

I have two model 100263 Champion dual fuel 30-amp 3400-watt generator/inverters. I used one or the other (but only only one at a time) last year using the propane options when camping several times with my 2021 Minnie 2529RG. No problems.

Today, I tried to power up both the rear unit and the bedroom AC units (separately), and each time it caused an overload on the 30-amp circuit of the inverter. I had the Champions directly connected to the power receptacle. I tried both of the Champions separately just to see if one generator be bad, but no difference. I had no other appliances running (just the 12-volt lights), but the generator overloaded shortly after I turned the AC on (low fan). This happened with both the 13500 btu AC in the rear, and with the 2nd 13500 btu AC unit in the bedroom. It seemed to work fine with just the fan, but use of the AC caused an overload on either one of the Champions shortly after switching on the AC.

I do the have a parallel option which can supply 50 amps from the two Champions in tandem (used earlier for my fifth wheel), and I will try that tomorrow. But last year, the AC worked fine (again, one at at time) on numerous camping trips. I'm baffled. The 2529Rg was supposed to have some kind of energy management feature to allow use of both ACs simultaneously, but I never found this work well. When docked I also use a Hughes 30-amp Power Watchdog, but not with the (supposedly) clean power from the inverters.

Any thoughts?

Fasteddie
FastEddie723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:50 PM   #2
Site Team

To combine the power of both generators you have to use the parallel connection cable. And while that should run both A/Cs, keep in mind that once plugged in your RV may try to use a lot of your power to run the fridge if it’s on auto and to charge your batteries.

These can limit your available amps for running two A/Cs.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Along with the loads creative mentioned, is it possible you have the water heater AC switch on?
Old 05-19-2023, 06:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Along with the loads creative mentioned, is it possible you have the water heater AC switch on?
No, nothing is on except the main and entry LED lights (and carbon monoxide, etc that I can't turn off). Last two years, the unit powered on fine and ran one AC with just one Champion 30-amp during trips. I can run fine with the AC on "fan-only" but the power overloads when I turn the AC to "cool".
Old 05-19-2023, 06:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
To combine the power of both generators you have to use the parallel connection cable. And while that should run both A/Cs, keep in mind that once plugged in your RV may try to use a lot of your power to run the fridge if it’s on auto and to charge your batteries.

These can limit your available amps for running two A/Cs.
Yes, I know all about the parallel operation. I used these two Champions in parallel mode to power my 43-foot 5th Wheel for two years. I have been able to use one 30-amp Champion during the last two camping seasons as long as I only powered one AC at-a-time. This is strange new behavior; not sure if the RV is trying to draw too much power for some reason, or the Champion is at fault (but it's seems unlikely that both Champions have the same problem).
Old 05-19-2023, 06:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Any issues running either A/Cs on shore power?

You say nothing else is running, but if your batteries are low the Converter will immediately begin to charge your batteries when 110v is present from the generator. That high amp draw is not something you will have control of or really be aware of. How about testing just one generator with out turning on the A/C and see what kind of load you have?
Old 05-19-2023, 07:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie723 View Post
The 2529Rg was supposed to have some kind of energy management feature to allow use of both ACs simultaneously, but I never found this work well.
Yeah, neither has anyone else. This was a mistake on Winnebago’s part selling this “feature.” Winnebago changed course and now has switched to 50-amp service when two A/Cs are installed in these TTs. We’ve seen a few owners here that have complained to Winnebago and forced the company to update their RVs from 30-amp to 50-amp.

I have no idea how widespread or difficult the process of getting Winnebago to pay for this update has been.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Before going much further which does tend to overheat and possibly add just a touch of hazard to testing, I would want to verify a few points to begin to safely sort the question.

Either the AC have developed some problem that makes them suddenly draw more current OR the generators, wiring, etc, have some problem.

I would first want to find which is the problem, the generators or wiring or the AC?

Then it gets down to what tools you have on hand to get that info. Do you have an ampmeter that can read that higher current for the AC on starting?
Possibly there is a nest keeping the compressors from starting well? Possibly the capacitors have failed for some odd reason? Mice may have chewed wires?

My point is that forcing things to the point of failure is not good for AC nor generators!
You've got a bad situation with fairly new equipment and both failing in the same way on each type, so that would make me want to go carefully without taking any more chances than necessary as it is possible to shoot our own foot if we rush things.

A point to mention that might be involved? Are you giving the AC compressors time to bleed off any high pressure involved before trying to restart?
We should give them time between restart tries.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you are running the generators on propane, be aware that the output amperage drops about 15% below the output for gasoline due to propane’s lower btu content. Also consider that your charger is using some of that incoming amperage, unless you switch it off at the distribution panel. So, if your battery is 100%, you may find that sometimes both A/C units will work. If you still want to run on propane using the parallel connector, consider installing Micro-Air Easy Starts on both A/C units. Then you may be able to run both A/C units with just one generator. I run our easy start equipped 13,500 btu A/C easily off our Champion 2500 which outputs 15amps on propane. But it is necessary to lower my charging amperage on my inverter/charger.

Tags
generator, fuel