Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2024, 09:57 AM   #1
Winnebago 36G Journey

Change indoor lights to LED 2000 Journey 36G

I am trying to convert my lights in the living area to LED. I have 12 volts thru the switch, by the door, to the lights. I have removed the starters for the fluorescent lights. Installed the LED tubes but will not light up. I have tried other(new) tubes and still no light. I had one blink when I put it in but nothing from either light since then. Still have 12V at the lights, two light fixtures are parallelled wired to the switch. Neither work but have 12V. Supposed to not need a starter but I am wondering...
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does it also have ground? Easy to forget that one!
Drawings show the yellow wires labeled NM as 12V and the white wire PM as ground and you do need both to make a full circuit!
But then LED are fussy in one way as the polarity has to be correct! Are these tubes that you can put them in the socket the wrong way? Perhaps try turning them over for battery and ground?
Not knowing how the bulbs are built leaves us guessing but maybe even try flipping them end for end might get it?

But first it has to have both battery and ground! But that gets tricky on this one!
I marked it up as I see it being done.
Click this snip for best view!Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	189556
It looks like ALL three bulbs have to be in and good to make ANY of them work!
Bat. in on red line from switch to first light, then orange out to other lights. That leaves no ground on first light until the other light has a complete path to connect back to ground!

I might start with checking the red path to and through the first galley light, Then look for it as it goes in the others and out on the blue line I've marked up! Those are not wire colors but what I picked to show the different uses!

Do you also have a "front ceiling lamp switch" as well, not shown on this sheet?
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch light.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	189557

NOTE!
This looks like a tricky one!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
Winnebago 36G Journey

Thanks. Tried turning the around from end to end. Thought I had done that before. They both work now. That should be in the instructions. Of course, I work electronics during my Army career. Why didn't I know that.
Old 08-10-2024, 01:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good show! I like folks who know that we are all prone to not knowing the right thing at the right time!
I've worked with a few guys who knew so much they killed poeple!

Tell anybody who questions it, the only people making mistakes are the ones who are working!!! The folks who never make a mistake are not much use!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 02:39 PM   #5
Winnebago 36G Journey

After I went back and looked at the light, I didn't have my glasses on, it had a + and - on it.
Old 08-10-2024, 06:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Thanks. Tried turning the around from end to end. Thought I had done that before. They both work now. That should be in the instructions. Of course, I work electronics during my Army career. Why didn't I know that.
LED lights are actually a big diode that gets hot from resistance, the result is heat and light..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 07:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I was going to do this a few years ago, but the led tunes were so expensive it was a lot cheaper to replace the whole fixture.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 09:30 AM   #8
Winnebago 36G Journey

I figured it out. Both lights are working. I had to do some wiring.

Tags
light, lights, door, journey, led