Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-04-2024, 05:53 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

You have been extremely helpful, over and above. I have also learned so much more about RV electronics and I thank you. You are a credit to the Winnebefo forem community. Thanks You.
costuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 06:53 PM   #22
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by costuros View Post
OOPs I rewired the 2 new batteries wrong. The lights now go on and everything works. That doesn't necessarily mean my inverter is ok, so I am keeping all the lights on for awhile. When the bateries get below 12v, I will plug in the RV and see if the inverter/charger raises the volts in the batteries. I think that should tell me if its my inverter or not? I've tested everything else. Someone said the inverter should get warm and hum. I will check that too. any more thoughts? Am I on the right track?
You stated that all four batteries were down to 3 volts, which means the newer batteries are severely damaged and may not return to fully charged! I would replace them as well as the inverter/charger. The entire battery bank will only charge to the condition of the worst battery and the excess voltage from the charger will boil the bad battery. As a bonus, your new charger will be multi[staged extending the life of the battery bank!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 06:55 PM   #23
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by costuros View Post
OK, my batteries are fine and my lights and all DC systems work now after replacing 2 of my 4 batteries. When running all my lights ive tested the voltage from the batteries and then plugged into shore power...no change in voltage, inverter not humming or getting warm. All fuses and breakers are good. What else but the inverter could be the problem???
There may be a fuse on the inverter/charger!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 09:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I have now replaced all 4 6v batteries 230 amh each. Of course all the lights etc work when plugged into shore power, because the battereis are fully charged. I still don't know if the inverter charger is charging them, but I suspect not. I bought a TrippLite APS 750 power inverter charger 750 watts to replace my 2005 Dimentions Unlimited WIN 12/300 watts inverter charger. We are taking a road trip for a week in all full hookup locations. I will see if my batteries start wearing down. If so, I will replace the inverter while on the road if necessary. The generator and alternator should still charge them, so well see how it goes. The new inverter is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the original, so I will have to do some modifications to make it fit. THAT'S MY PLAN. I hope I'm on the right track.
Old 09-09-2024, 07:07 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

You should be able to tell very quickly if you are getting charge to the batteries. When charging the voltage from the charger is always a bit higher than the battery float level. Each type of battery has a natural level which they can hold. To get them fully topped and to optimum level the charger will put out slightly higher voltage than this float level.

That lets us look at the battery voltage with no charging being done, then plug in , etc. to start charging and the voltage should immediately jump higher! One way to do this without having to plug/unplug is to turn the battery disconnect switch off, check then turn it back on.
On most RV that will cut the path from charger to battery. If it doesn't jump when turned back on, there is a charging question!
Also this can be a handy time to check that the charge from the engine alternator is getting to both the chassis and coach batteries as we drive.
While looking at the chassis battery voltage, you should see the same jump higher as the engine starts and the voltage will follow the engine RPM as you rev it up a bit.
Then if that charging is also getting to the coach, move the meter over to the coach batteries and expect to see the same.
This is a different system than the inverter/converter/charger but just handy to verify while there?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 09:10 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

OH OK, I will do that. Thanks.

Tags
converter