Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2024, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Converter Issues 2005 Minnie Winnie

My 2005 30 ft Minnie Winnie when plugged into power, lights dont work but micrewave and outlets work. This usually means, if the fuses and breakers are all good, that the inverter/converter is failing to convert the ac to dc current. It looks like my unit is a combo converter/inverter. Dementions Unlimited Model # WIN 12.6 VDC 30 amps imput 12.6 out 300. Where can I find a replacement?
costuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

you've not told us why you think the converter has failed. Have you done some test or why jump to that?
Does the converter still hum to indicate it is getting power?

My first thought would be that the battery has to be dead as well as the converter failed to get what is reported.
But then the more frequent problem would be that the battery disconnect switch may be off.
More info might turn up better ideas of what you have?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Microwave goes on, but no lights or refrigerator. Breaker and fuses all good. Converter/inverter/charger unit does not hum. When I put a meter to the pos and neg of the plug when I unplug it, in get a reading in the Om guage. When unplugged I should not get a reading. Batteries not charging, My assumption is that the unit needs replacing???
Old 09-02-2024, 08:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

2005 Minnie Winnie class C 30 ft.
Old 09-02-2024, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Let’s clean up some of the terminology. The Dimensions WIN-12X is an Inverter/Charger. It’s not a Converter or Converter/Inverter.

It does convert 110v AC into 12vdc but only to charge your house batteries, not to run your lights and other 12vdc loads.

So, as Richard has suggested, it sounds like you have one or more bad house batteries.

See, a Converter takes 110vac and converts it to 12vdc to power the lights and other 12vdc loads. AND it charges your batteries.

However, in this setup your batteries power all 12vdc loads and the Inverter/Charger charges those batteries.

An RV with a Converter still powers the lights etc even if the batteries are dead. But an RV with an inverter/charger always relies on the batteries for 12vdc loads.

I agree that you should start with testing the batteries first. This doesn’t mean the problem is not your WIN-12X Series Inverter. That very well could be the cause of your dead batteries in the first place.

We’ve had a number of folks visit here to complain that their early 2000s Dimensions Inverter Charger’s charging circuits have failed and that they’ve found that the company was sold and the unit was not repairable.

Inverters have come a long way since 2005 and you should just find a new 12v 2000w inverter charger with AC Passthrough from another company. Dimensions was sold and is now Magnum. Their MS-2012 inverter is a current day interpretation of your existing device. But there are are other popular choices, too. Xantrex and Victron are two of the more popular modern choices.

So check your batteries and also check your Dimensions inverter’s charging functions.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have 4 6v batteries and 2 of them are over 5 yrs old. After reading your post, I'm thinking it very well could be that my batteries can't hold a charge and that could very well be the problem and not the inverter. If I change out 2 of the 4 with new ones will that suffice or do I need to change all 4? also the two older batteries show some corrosion, but the 2 newer ones ( 3 yrs old) look brand new.

The batteries are definitely not taking a charge when plugged into shore power and I've been blaming the inverter/charger. Maybe everything needs to be replaced? What's the best way to test my inverter? OR do I need to buy new batteries first and see if they will run down while plugged into shore power?
Old 09-03-2024, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I don't recommend swapping parts without testing first. Do you have am meter to test voltages.
The batteries are simple storage for the power that comes from the plug as AC and changed to 12VDC for use.
The micro, outlets, etc are straight 110AC and do not use the 12VDC directly.

A quick way to test some of the things involved is to start the RV engine. That lets the chassis battery with alternator connect to the coach 12V system. If connecting 12V from the engine makes 12V coach like lights work, it is a definite sign you are not getting 12 volt from the charging system.
Whether it is a charger/converter failure is stil a questionthat needs more testing.
Possible as simple as the battery disconnect is off. That cuts both charge to the batteries as well as power from the batteries to things like the lights!

With the RV unplugged, reading the coach battery voltage and then plugging in to see the voltage jump up will tell you if the charge system is working and if it is getting to the batteries! It may be producing the 12VDC but it may not be getting to the batteries as it should.
Possibly dirty/corroded cables? Possibly a bad disconnect switch or relay?
Several points that are much easier and far cheaper than replacing the charge system!
If it is something like a bad connection, repalcing the charger will still leave you a problem to find!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 01:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your responses. My 2005 Minnie Winnie has 4 - 6v batteries. All down to 3volts and inverter charger is not charging them when plugged in. microwave and outlets on, but no 12v systems. So, I replaced the 2 older batteries and they are fully charged, but the coach lights still do not go on, even when plugged in. The 2nd bank of batteries are still needing to be charged, is that why my lights won't go on? Do all 4 have to be charged? I turned on my my engine and still no lights, and my generator won't go on either. I'm trying to deal with every possibility before I replace the inverter/charger. I've also cleaned all the terminal connections. Any more ideas?
Old 09-03-2024, 02:21 PM   #9
Site Team

When changing batteries all four should be the same age (new) and charged fully.

With 4-6v batteries you wire them in series and in parallel. 2-6v in series makes one 12v “battery” then you wire the two 6v pairs together in parallel.

Do as Richard suggests and test things. But it’s is possible that the inverter/charger is shot, as well. But test first to know for sure.

You should probably find a RV Tech to install any new inverter/charger.
Old 09-03-2024, 03:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

OOPs I rewired the 2 new batteries wrong. The lights now go on and everything works. That doesn't necessarily mean my inverter is ok, so I am keeping all the lights on for awhile. When the bateries get below 12v, I will plug in the RV and see if the inverter/charger raises the volts in the batteries. I think that should tell me if its my inverter or not? I've tested everything else. Someone said the inverter should get warm and hum. I will check that too. any more thoughts? Am I on the right track?
Old 09-03-2024, 03:37 PM   #11
Site Team

You don’t have to wait. Plug in now and check the voltage. If the inverter is charging you’ll see 13+ volts at the batteries. If it’s not you’ll see no more than 12.7v at the batteries.

Fully charged batteries are 12.7v. Batteries below 12.0v are nearly dead. The voltage range between charged and dead is about 1 volt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	189787  
Old 09-03-2024, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Inverter

OK, my batteries are fine and my lights and all DC systems work now after replacing 2 of my 4 batteries. when running all my lights ive tested the voltage from the batteries and then pluged into shore power...no change in voltage, inverter not humming or getting warm. All fuses and breakers are good. What else but the inverter could be the problem???
Old 09-03-2024, 04:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by costuros View Post
What else but the inverter could be the problem???
You could have the charger turned off. Some but not all older Dimensions inverters had a way to turn the charger off on the remote. And certain settings could tell the charger to go into standby.

We don’t know enough about your inverter, its setup or your familiarity with its operation to know for sure what the issue is. It very well could be the inverter is ready to be replaced… or it could be something else.

By the way, if you only bought two batteries and are sticking with two old batteries you will bring the new batteries down to the same condition as the two old ones. That’s why unless you know the two old batteries are less than a year old and are in super good, as new, shape you should replace all 4 at the same time.

I’d say only you and a knowledgeable tech can determine if the inverter is bad or not.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you on the battery advice. I have disconnected the 2 bad batteries and am now running the 2 new ones alone. still no inverter action.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

in replacing the WIN 12-6 VDC up to 300 watts, the Magnum 2012 comes in different configurations that I dont understand ...like 2000 watts/amps? sine wave stuff. cant figure which one I need. For Xantrex and Victron options, what am I asking for?
Old 09-04-2024, 09:46 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Could some one give me a specific replacement for my inverter charger Win 12/300T. I know it's discontinued and as I have searched the world for a replacement, I'm told that a 300 watt inverter is no more and that I could get a 500 watt replacement and that pure sine wave is best? As I search, I find many, but they are plugged into cigarette lighter types. Then on amazon I found a perfect looking one, but they called it a converter charger rather than an inverter charger. After many hours of searching, I'm so confused!! Please help with a specific recomendation.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered a Tripp Lite Freedom XC1000 750 w inverter charger. I'm guessing/hoping its the correct replacement for the one I have which is Demensions Unlimited WIN12/300T 300 watt inverter charger that my 2005 Minnie Winnie came with. will that work?
Old 09-04-2024, 04:23 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You should probably find a RV Tech to install any new inverter/charger.
You already have the best solution… see quote above.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

It seems like an easy switchout as it plugs right into the outlet next to it, attach the red and white battery cables and the ground. OR are you saying the tech should make sure they are interchangable?
Old 09-04-2024, 05:49 PM   #20
Site Team

Throughout this thread you have shown lots of confusion over what you need and how everything works. If you feel comfortable doing this, great do it. But understand we cannot be there to give you advice and answers. There’s only so much that can be done via forum posts. In the end you are handling this entirely on your own.

Of course we hope for the best in completing your project.

Tags
converter