Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2024, 02:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dimensions Inverter/Charger Manual

I've got some electrical anomalies going on with my 2008 Journey 39z including a parasitic drain of some kind, my EMS panel quit displaying and some charging oddities including no solar charging. I found a thread that appears to indicate there is a fuse for the EMS system in the AC panel. I'll check that out today.

My inverter/charger, Dimensions Model win-12x20b5r1t, was not charging batteries stating the AC input was bad. Tested AC input on both 15amp shore power and generator and both were good. I took a look at all connections in the transfer switch, all snug no loose wires etc.

When i opened up the inverter/charger I found a spare wire nut and a purple lead connected to the 12v + lug but not going anywhere. The purple wire is terminated on both end with a female spade connector. Wire is maybe 12" long. Anyone have any idea what this purple wire is for?

I have searched online for a manual for this unit but can't seem to find one. I found manual for a similar unit but no mention of the purple wire and it's purpose.

Anyone have pdf of the win-12x20b5r1t manual?
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 10:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Sensata Technologies, producers of Magnum inverters, purchased Dimensions more than 15-years ago and as a result offer no support on older units. We’ve heard from a good many owners of mid-2000s units like yours that just stop charging their batteries.

Everyone of them has been told by Magnum to simply buy a new inverter because there is no service or support for any Dimensions products.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Definitely not expecting any sort of support, was just hoping to find a manual so I could get a better wrap around what's going on with it, or at least what's supposed to go on with it.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm with you on wanting to get as much info as possible direct from builders.
Maybe there would be one on hand from some of the manual resellers? Possibly long odds on that but maybe a place to search?
I've occasionally gotten into that field when searching for old truck/car info. My brother has done some building of kit cars where the info with the kit did not go as far as he needed, so wanted more indepth, much as you need.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Team

How about this???? It's not even what it says it is. It's not the 122028 model it's actually the 24v model the 24X26UQV

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...ers/122028.pdf
Old 07-08-2024, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Team

This looks better:

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...rs/121958e.pdf

And here's links to lots more:

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/do...owners-manuals
Old 07-14-2024, 07:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The model 12x20b5r1t is probably the same model we had in our 2004 Journey. Ours eventually failed to charge. Had issues from day on with it overcharging batteries and boiling out the water. The unit was designed to go in to a condition mode every 5 cycles, if I recall. It put a high voltage out during that stage. Finally, after boiling the water out of the batteries several times and having it set off the gas detector, I watched the panel to see when it went to condition model and then would cycle the power to start back to stage one of the charging sequence. That took care of boiling out the water. The unit finally failed and since we never used the inverter feature for AC, we replaced the unit with a high amperage charger and converter. The Dimensions were commonly referenced as "Dimented". If I recall the unit was rated as a 2000 watt inverter for AC.

This is the model I used to replace the Dimensions. Does not have the inverter for AC, but is a fraction of the cost too. Was a very easy install. Added a breaker box and outlet to the bay where the charger is installed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074JVN3S...roduct_details

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Converter/Charger Install

Image of installation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	281.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	189394  

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Update.

Got far better support than expected for a discontinued product. They spent 40min on the phone with me. Turns out I'm still working properly.

Tags
inverter, manual