Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Today, 02:46 PM   #1
Winnebago 36G Journey

Electrical Power in Storage 2000 Journey 36G

I have my 2000 Journey 36G hooked up to house power (120 volts). Should I leave the converter on all the time or turn it off. As of now I am only using 12 volts for the LED inside lights when I need them. I thought I read in the manual that if you leave the converter on it will charge the batteries.
Thanks,
Rodger
Old Today, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I assume you have flooded lead-acid or AGM lead acid batteries.

When you are 120 volt AC powered from shore or generator, a converter is providing 12 volt DC power. It will sense the battery state of charge and set its voltage accordingly. It should drop into a mode called "float" when batteries are charged which will not harm the batteries. This voltage should be 13.5 volts or less. You can confirm this with a digital volt meter.

If you are using the OEM year 2000 vintage equipment you'll want to make sure it still drops into float mode, sometimes things fail and it can damage the batteries.

In any case you should check your batteries at least every 3 months and make sure the electrolyte level in all the battery cells is at the bottom of the cap holes. If not add distilled water. NEVER put anything other than pure distilled water into them.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 PM   #3
Winnebago 36G Journey

Thanks. I am not sure if it is a OEM converter from 2000. I check my batteries to make sure they are OK, though. Just didn't want to do anything to them. Noticed you are from Manhattan. I was stationed at Fort Riley in 82-83.
Thanks,
Rodger

Tags
electrical, power, storage, journey