Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2023, 07:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question EMS NOT Displaying Amps 2008 Winnebago Destination

Just purchased A class Winnebago Destination 2008 RV and camped for couple days to get familiar with it...when had a storm roll through campground. Previously EMS panel showed amps
Thinking we had power surge, the EMS panel now didnot show any amps.
Screen went blank.
We unplugged shoreline power & replugged in.
Checked GFI plugs, and breakers.
Everything is working as should be,
We are not getting amprage reading on EMS & now cannot run generator. It does power up, but won't stay running.
Any idea what the problem can be & what I could check.
Thanks
Bill
BillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:43 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What level of power are you plugged into? The EMS panel doesn't show amps when you are plugged into 50amp shore power. It will show amps when plugged into 30amp/20amp. Are the other lights lit on the display?
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Was Plugged into 30 amp. Now 20 amp at home. All other panel lights are functioning
Old 08-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the EMS unit proper has suffered a failure from the storm. I know little about the Powerline EMS system Winnebago uses. Perhaps a call to W customer service will gain some information.
I did find this: https://intellitec.com/wp-content/up...-00911-000.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I will check this out. Thanks..I will be contacting win/dealer service soon. I imagine they will be super busy lthis ong holiday week end.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The EMS board should be located near your breaker panel, may need to remove cover. Should be a fuse on the board that may have blown.
Old 07-07-2024, 01:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
The EMS board should be located near your breaker panel, may need to remove cover. Should be a fuse on the board that may have blown.
Looking at the manual someone else posted and not sure i'm viewing this correctly. Is this unit actually inside the main 240v panel?
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 02:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I feel this may not be the best place for a new post as it is a different RV if you have the one listed in your profile. That means any looking at drawings specific to your Rv will likely give different info.
Location of the parts is often one thing that changes the answers.

Also if this is a new RV to you, it may not be 240 volt as that would be very strange.
Most of the 50 amp Rv are actually two 110 50 amp feeds.

This set of drawings shows the electrical items for your RV and indicates the EMS (electrical management system) as being just back of the dinette on the wall. Item 1 in this drawing.
Click this snip to get the best view OR go direct for the whole picture!
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...08/8wkp39z.pdf
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	189352

Does that get you to what is needed?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 02:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When i mentioned i was looking at the manual someone posted, i was referring to the Intellitec manual for the energy management system, not a specific Winnie RV. I see it has a fuse on it and appears to be located inside the AC panel, yes 110x2, not 240.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-07 155232.png
Views:	18
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	189353  
Old 07-07-2024, 03:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'm likely missing some needed info but I'm not undertstanding why the load shedder is a question.
Are you finding some of the circuits fed by the load shedder are out while others are working?
I tend to go to the items not working and chase back to find the fault. But that is often just a dfifferent way of doing the job!
Old 07-07-2024, 03:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My EMS display has quit showing anything regardless of power source, much like the OP. Attempting to determine why.

Pulled the panel and verified fuse in the Intellic unit is good. Communications OK indicator led is lighted on the unit in the panel.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

OK so here's a new twist.

Ems controls the following

Water heater
Ac compressor #2
Fan speed
Refrigerator

If, and only if I have the water heater breaker switched on does the panel display.

Refrigerator works fine on AC power even if WH and display is off
Old 07-07-2024, 04:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Okay, more info for more checking!
Sound like possible two problems? The AC and fan speed would not seem to invovle the EMS load shedding, so possible different problem? Maybe a thermostat problem if two speed setting s there?
I tend to divide before chasing!

Second group does sound like EMS question. There is an inverter panel which may be easy to verify power good and solid to that breaker box?
If all things from the inverter panel are out, that may tell you something? Too many legs to copy and show, so if it becomes a question, I got this info here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_163688.pdf

Main set of electrical here to start if 12Volt, etc is needed:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

It's like an easter egg hunt? But all the eggs are rotten!
Best of luck on the search and let me know if I can help read it a bit as I spend a good deal of time in The Winnebago wilderness!
Old 07-07-2024, 04:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Definitely some oddities going on that I haven't wrapped my head around. My basement AC has an ongoing issue that I've attempted to leave out of this equation. Those breakers have been off, and I haven't found a link in the EMS operation to those breakers.

So your reply did clear something up in my head. It never occurred to me that the second breaker panel next to the main was for the circuits powered by the inverter. That said, I've never used the inverter. I travel with the generator on to power the AC unit. If I'm camping somewhere without shore power I use the generator.

So in other diagnostics news on the EMS system. I found this snippet in its manual:

Quote:
f 120 VAC or 240 VAC is not available at the L1 or L2 inputs (j4 pin 4 and 6 respectively) to the Control Module, the EMS shuts itself off and all relay contacts remain closed. This feature is intended to prevent the EMS from drawing current from the +12VDC battery supply when not in operation
After killing the generator power i noticed the Communications link OK LED stays lit even though I have removed 120VAC power. I'm wondering if this is part of my parasitic 12v power draw I haven't found yet.

I sent an email to Intellitec tech support with some questions on the unit's operation to get some clarity on the 12vdc power draw with AC power off and the need for appliance #1 breaker to be on for the display to operate. Will post when I hear back from them.
Old 07-07-2024, 08:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Yes, it is often true that we don't get all the details of how the added items work.
One question/ thought on the relays in the EMS staying closed might explain the 12VDC draw? When I think closed contacts in smallish equipment like this, I tend to think of it as being 12VDC relays and closed often means operated/pulled to close contacts. So when it says contacts closed, do they mean 12VDc is used to keep them closed?
Without getting way deep into their thinking, we don't have enough to go on!

Different drawing here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_138913.pdf
This chart is "decoder" for Winnebago wire ID on small wires and on drawings:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
This will give ID location as first column is "from" and second"to" for point to point of that wire. That gives you a chance to sort which might be power and ground for circuit chase!
Click this snip to see better!

Name:	load shed.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	189355

See the wire ID at left of first plug? Those can be "decoded" with the list!

But the folks who build it will know lots more than we can dig out by guessing!
I'm guessing the 12VDC drain is holding the relay pulled!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EMS.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	189354  
Old 07-07-2024, 08:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Second thought on mystery 12VDC drain?
Not being confused by having drain when expecting it gone becasue you have the battery disconnect throu open?
That is a point to confuse because it DOES NOT disconnect ALL drains! Safety items like CO and propane detectors are still powered!
Old 07-07-2024, 10:27 PM   #17
Site Team

I may be misunderstanding everything ACDNate is saying but I think we’ve been told that the EMS is connected to the water heater circuit breaker. I’m sure that’s come up before.

Here’s a link:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post2633903
Old 07-08-2024, 04:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Ah ok. So that clears up that concern.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I may be misunderstanding everything ACDNate is saying but I think we’ve been told that the EMS is connected to the water heater circuit breaker. I’m sure that’s come up before.

Here’s a link:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post2633903
Yes, both engine heat and water heater are off the load shed. See it at post 9 above, near top right? Probably not clear to say the engine heat works off the loda shed but more accurate to say it connect there but the current used is not sensed by the shedder, just the incomming power and outgoing to the engine heater meet on the same lug!
But then frig and lots of stuff through the inverter panel also are prone to shedding!
This might be a plan I would want to print off to keep for future if suddenly some item stops, it may be because it has been shed for a higher priority item.
It's not clear to me how to tell which has priority, That is likely thier info in their manual and depends on what they felt was more needed?
Old 07-08-2024, 07:27 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Yes, both engine heat and water heater are off the load shed. See it at post 9 above, near top right?
I'll have to look at engine heat this evening. Living in the south, I've never used the engine heater either.

Tags
winnebago, ems