Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2024, 05:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

GE 15000BTU defeats Honda EU2200 Companion

I'm bummed... $1300 later my new Honda 2200 doesn't run the 15000btu GE A/C unit on my 2108TB :/
(Model ARC15AACBL2)

Does anyone else's Honda EU2200 pull it off running their 15000BTU A/C??

I have a bigger Cummins 4500 that runs the whole trailer pretty effortlessly, I didn't expect the Honda to do it all, but I did expect it to run only the A/C.

I was planning on using the Honda to remove the day's heat heading into a cooler mountain evening, then just power the low current stuff quietly and efficiently.
The big gen would be used for more demanding temps at the expense of my back, fuel and noise.
Dashunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm sure it is way late to ask, but was there something that led you to believe it would work?
I find nothing on a Google search to lean toward it working for that large air conditioner.
Most would seem to favor a minimum of 3000 watt for starting!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:53 PM   #3
Site Team

This should not be a surprise to you. The Honda is rated at peak power at 2200w. But it’s clearly started and well known that is a theoretical peak. One not regularly seen in actual use. The stated wattage is 1,800w.

You need 2,500 to 2,800 watts to start the compressor on your A/C. Those are real world watts, not theoretical watts.

You would need to pair a second Honda EU2200I with your existing unit to start and run your A/C.

You “may” be able to install a soft-Start on your A/C to be able to run only the A/C, but realize that your TT’s Converter Charge will see the AC voltage from the generator and immediately try to charge your house battery taking some power away from your A/C.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Have you considered adding a softstart? The 15kbtu AC (if 10 SEER) would use ~1500 watts (running). At 115v, that's ~ 13amps. Your 2200w Honda should have enough juice to run it (if you could overcome the starting amps/watts. Softstart enables this. (note: the provided link below is pure/clean. I am not paid to refer and receive no compensation for link clicks. I am not even recommending "SoftStartRV" per se. There are others on the market that do similar things. SoftStartRV is just the leader in the market. In fact, you don't have to click on that link (it was just offered for convenience). All I did was perform a google search for "soft start for RV AC".

https://www.softstartrv.com/
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I'm sure it is way late to ask, but was there something that led you to believe it would work?
Yep..
https://youtu.be/Wi_ZjfZWh7Q?si=1Hg4nFTDhyk8cHaG
https://youtu.be/KRHEVjxLah4?si=j-PuYqpsellLWOD_
https://youtu.be/BgwkLtzBheY?si=eYvbI1rXrYQdFXPP

Guess I’ll look into soft starts.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Keep in mind why folks post on U-tube! They are there for the clicks!
One way to get those clicks is to post things that are odd, unusual or just about anything that will get clicks!

Kind of the new age carnival barkers! There is no guard against snake oil! They used to bang on a metal tub to get attention from the crowd!

One of the things that is often missed is the simple truth that any motor starts better when it gets the proper power. There are some ways to cheat the science but what is often not mentioned is what it does to the motors each time they start with less power than needed.

When a motor starts very slowly it gets lots of heat until the motor gets to full speed to cool it's self. It may not show for months or years but every time we overheat a motor it gets just a little bit closer to melting down the windings!
Maybe it's only a little bit of the insulation today or tomorrow but eventually one of those super fine windings will lose it's insulation and short out to the next layer. As it does that it becomes less efficient as a winding and draws more current, producing more heat!
At some point the motor "burns up"!

Two follow up questions comes around then?

If we drop back and ask why the motor is not built better to start with less power, we may get down to a hard truth! If there is magic available to make a motor run better, why is it not built in on any of the best brands of air conditioners?
If a Honda 2200 can be made to start and run something bigger, why doesn't Honda built it that way?

Maybe they know their products and don't accept there is magic to be found?
They have built names for their products and don't want to degrade that name?

When using any equipment, I tend to lean toward trusting the guys who have been doing it for a while over the guy with the "new magic", especially if they are selling it!

Remember all the gizmos for getting lots more gas mileage out of our cars? They came out all over the place when gas went up in the 70's but where are those wonder products now?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

An RV 15,000btu air conditioner is rated for 2,000 running watts, startup pulls an additonal 1,300w, for a total of 3,300 watts at startup.
reference: https://generatorist.com/list-of-ele...-wattage-usage
If your battery charger function was not disabled, it can easily add 80W. Try running the genset an A/C with all other breakers turned off.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

That's gonna be another $350.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-12-2024, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

One other thing to add here is that a gas genny loses power with elevation. Where I live I'm at 5,000 ft above sea level. Genny's lose 3%+/- for every 1,000 ft in elevation. That said, where I live I'm already down 15%. If I'm running a 2K watt genny now it's only good for 1700 watts. This number drops even more if the genny is running on propane.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I found this but the problem is, will it do what you want? https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...-kit-1497-3601 $218.40
Old 04-17-2024, 05:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

When I had my trailer I found the converter drew just enough current to be a problem. I could run the AC if I flipped the breaker for the converter off.
I did not have a Honda generator, so I don’t know if it will work for you,but the price is right.
Gary92345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

It could also be that the extra cost of electronics and capacitors to provide the added boost at start are just more than the product can bear, at least as perceived by WBGO.
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:52 AM   #13
Dream Big, Work Smart !

Solar Generator

This 6kW Solar Generator is a Lot Better option than a Fuel Generator as it also has a built-in 5.37kWh LiFePO4 Battery, and it can be Charged via the Vehicle, Solar, Wind Turbine & Fuel Generator !

https://www.micropowergrids.com.au/_...Generator.html

The Mates Rates for the Winnebago Forum Costs US$1'550 +Shipping etc.

The Good thing about the Solar Generator is that it can be Charged form a silenced US$300 Tonka Toy 800W Fuel Generator.

https://www.micropowergrids.com.au/_...ol_GenSet.html
Old 06-03-2024, 04:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE

I bought the softstartrv.com and installed it onto my 2024 15000 BTU GE A/C series 15ACC. The install was very simple, took about 30 minutes start-to-finish, worst thing about it was crawling around on the roof with the occasional yellow jacket hunting for whatever they hunt for.

With certainty I can say my Honda 2200 (Companion version) easily powers the 15000 BTU A/C in my driveway at 4000ft on Eco mode and the starting spike is about 1700W with about 1400W sustained according to the Honda app. I'm curious what altitude is the limit, but I'm optimistic for over 7000ft.

The only drawback I can find is its $250 and it seems to briefly delay the compressor kicking on (while its storing current in preparation for start, I guess?)

Anyway, its a fantastic solution, easy install, quality item that actually works, good support, very good directions that are brand/unit specific on their website, and someone knowledgeable answered the phone when I called with a question before ordering. Others may be cheaper, but no way would I risk my A/C unit to some rando mystery box off Amazon that shows up missing connectors and directions.