Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2023, 10:36 PM   #1
2005 Sightseer 30B

Generator runs, no power output 2005 Sightseer 30B

OK, got a weird one for you. Doing a periodic genny run, and they say to run the genny and apply power. Did so. NO POWER. The genny is running, so I check the owner's manual which says to reset the genny breaker. Took me a while, but I found the breaker. No problem. Did a 'test - reset'. No change. Checked the 'house' breakers. No problem. But, not getting power from the generator! What's the deal??? It worked fine on the last periodic test, and we did have the genny serviced a couple of months back.

Any suggestions? Taking the coach in for service on Sunday night (going to sleep in the parking lot - don't want to fight rush hour traffic) and would kind of like to have power other than the house batteries.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi LadyFaire,
From page 6-2 of your Owner's Manual:
  • NOTE: The power cord must be plugged into the generator receptacle for generator operation.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-11-2023, 05:26 AM   #3
2005 Sightseer 30B

Yes, and it was.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Generator

This happened to a friend of mine with a 4000 Onan and it turned out to be a regulator inside the unit. Generator had to be dropped down by mechanic to get to the location toward the back. Also you might consider your transfer switch may also be and issue. It is suppose to default to the generator but may be defective.
Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 06:56 AM   #5
2005 Sightseer 30B

Transfer switch?
Old 11-11-2023, 07:07 AM   #6
Site Team

You don’t have a transfer switch. Which is why you have to manually plug the generator cable into the generator receptacle.

With an Automatic Transfer Switch you don’t have to do that step. It’s automatic, hence the name.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I don't recommend trying to work on the genset itself if not really good at that sort of thing. They are complex pieces of gear and take lots of training.
But the system you have will have a few points which can be checked by using a meter.

There will be a metal box where you switch the cord to get power from shore power to getting it from genset. If you take that cover off and check the wires inside, you may find one has come loose. This is best done with the genset off and not plugged, just as a safer move.
Assuming you've found the main output breaker on the genset and got it on as you mention?
That breaker and starting the generator should put power to the connections in the metal box and those can be checked for voltage there.

One of the things that can mess with our mind is a wire going bad inside the shore power cord, so give that some thought. Does the cord work when plugged to shore power, proving it is good?
Then it is also possible to plug the cord in but it not make good contact, to some wiggle and pushing it in/out a bit while watching for changes in the power can sometimes clear the easier things.
One handy indicator for good AC power is the microwave light. I use them as a handy indicator when I have questions about the AC side of it.

With the "manual transfer" setup, your system is pretty simple and less involved than with auto transfer, so it not one of the points I mentioned, the problem is likely out of the normal range for us to fix.
Click this snip to get better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	187828

If the power is good when plugged into shore power, all the points marked in green should be verified as good, leaving the main questions to be the wires in the box and possibly things like corroded plugs, etc.
The last big question is getting that power from the generator into the first metal box. We also have to consider the breaker on the genset might also be bad? Does it actually get power in one side and pass it out toward the RV?

If not getting it that far, I have to go for expert repair!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Hi LadyFaire,
Richard has great suggestions above. I really like a 120 VAC non-contact testing pen, such as this one:
They can detect alternating current through the wire's insulation wonderfully and safely, but they cannot detect direct current.
FYI; Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	412nrsDmOxL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	187829
Old 11-11-2023, 05:53 PM   #9
2005 Sightseer 30B

Thank you so much, guys! You've given me some great suggestions, and we'll be checking out the ones we are comfortable with in the morning!
Old 11-15-2023, 04:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Most Gen sets have breaker inside the enclosure, the unit will run and but no AC power. if that is not issue then maybe transfer switch or loose wire
mdstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Great little tool. Very handy to have around. Always check before doing any work on electrics.
MDJDCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:21 PM   #12
2005 Sightseer 30B

We think we found the problem. The outlet on the genny apparently arc'd over. The outlet and the plug on the house line will have to be replaced. There is NO power at the outlet, and when hubby opened it up, there were scorch marks.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

One of the "funnies" that can drive us crazy is how easy it seems for something really small to kill something we really need!

Ants are one that I've found can be real pain. they are so small and easy to overlook that they can do us in without even trying. And they do not understand electrical hazards at all!
One ant crawls across the wrong spot and gets killed, so he then is considered "food" and lots of others show up to collect him. Eventually they get enough dead bodies to really start a good arc and a pile of ants can kill a $100,000 piece of equipment!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:08 PM   #14
2005 Sightseer 30B

At least this time it wasn't squirrels eating my wiring harness! That's how I learned about mint oil spray! Oh, speaking of which, I need to spray the underside of the coach again!!

Tags
power, generator, sightseer