Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2024, 11:07 PM   #1
Ronndiee

GFI won't reset on 2003 Winnebago Brave

Hi I have a 2003 Winnebago brave the GFI in the bathroom would not reset it wasn't a breaker it wasn't a fuses so I replaced the GFI outlet and it still won't reset where do I go to next
Ronndiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 07:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can have several different things.
One is the new GFCI is bad, but it is also very easy to get the wires confused and that keeps it from working.
Was there a label on the box for the new one? That might let you review and look carefully at how it is wired. Possible user error is one I always have to admit to. We humans do that soort of thing!

The new one CAN be defective, but I tend to assume not until proven!

So this drawing is how the power comes to the GFCI and where it goes beyond. Read it like a road map?
Click this snip to get a better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	gfci.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	189771

This shows some possible options and you may have them or not, so if nothing there ignore and move on!
What you are looking for is a "leak" from the power to ground. If the oulets are all where you can reach them easy enough, I might favor unplugging anything in those outlets. That removes faulty things like power cords, etc.
But if the GFCI still won't hold, you may have to go to each outlet and check for a problem.
I might go to the exterior outlet as they can get wet, etc. That one at the bottom may be good place to start if easy to reach? If you take the cover off, there will be a set of wires come in and a set go out or possibly two go out to the galley? The idea is to pull some wires apart to see what removes the leak/fault!
You probably don't need to remove all the wires at each outlet. leave the white and bare wires to cut the time/effort. I think just removing the black ?hot side will get it ! But DO put it back together before moving on down the line.

While there, look for things like signs of the outlet getting wet, bugs like ants making a mess to short things out, or something broken?

We are hoping it is the outside due to weather? Unless you know where you poured the water in an outlet in the galley??

Good luck with the chase as it can be simple and you open the right one the first time or it can be the last on!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

#1 If there is no power getting to the GFCI it won't reset.

#2 The cable that has power must go to the GFCI LINE side (the screws without the yellow tape) or the GFCI won't reset. The screws under the yellow tape are only for protection of downstream receptacles.

#3 if both conditions above are correct, remove the wires from the LOAD side (the screws with the yellow tape), if the GFCI now resets (when powered) there is a downstream ground fault.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good catch on a biggie I missed!
It is so easy to assume things are done but the newer users may not think of that!

An easy thing to mess up is turning the pwoer off to change the GFCI and then finding it won't reset because we still have the breaker off!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 11:34 AM   #5
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronndiee View Post
Hi I have a 2003 Winnebago brave the GFI in the bathroom would not reset it wasn't a breaker it wasn't a fuses so I replaced the GFI outlet and it still won't reset where do I go to next
Unplug everything, the microwave, the fridge and the converter/charger/inverter are the main ones!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, brave