Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2023, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help on 2008 sunova converter

My converter is weak works then doesn’t. It a progressive something converter for 30 amp hookup original with the Rv. I am new here and to motor homes. I watched several videos on replacing it. My question is can’t I just cut the old wires instead of removing the circuit board and breaker to remove the old ones and just use wire connectors to hook up the new ones. At 70 years old I look for a little easier way when laying on the floor trying to stuff wires. I want to do this myself as the Rv shops wanted over 1000 dollars. Also what new converter would you recommend. Sorry for my dumb questions. Thank you for your patience with me
Danoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I might also want to avoid any more trouble than needed, even though you younger guys may like to do the hard stuff!!
Lots of us have developed grey hair and learned to not do the hard stuff if we can avoid it!

One big thought would be to be SURE the converter is the problem before jumping in to change it. That is definitely a big job and big expense. If it is just intermitant, a loose wire or connection might be much more likely! Electronics are not prone to having bad components that fix themselves but loose wires and connections are common!

You could be right but it will make life easier if you consider other options before changing the converter! So can you give us more info on what you are seeing? Are the lights and 12VDC power items all going out at once? Is the battery not lasting long enough and gradually goes dead way too soon?
What are you finding that looks like the converter is weak, etc?

If you can give us the specific model of RV, we can often look at drawings to get more info on the wiring connecting to the converter and sort out where you might be able to check the voltages going in and out.

Name:   sunov.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  14.3 KB

One of the most confusing things for newish RV users is the way batteries in our RV are connected and how they work. so simple but totally confusing at times!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, its ifd30b . I thought it was a battery issue so i took it to an auto parts store and put two new marine batteries in it. So I know they are fine. Everything was working great, and the batteries were charging. Then the lights went down and down and blam, nothing. After I brought it home from camping I plugged it in and everything charged and worked. Could we have overloaded it power wise? My wife had the air, hot water frig and all lights going on in a 30 amp feed. If it was a thermal overload does it reset itself? No breakers were tripped
Old 08-14-2023, 06:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

with more info we can be moving on!
The idea is that if you are drawing tooo much power there are breakers all along the path that should trip. If you are using more than 30 amps, the breaker at the shore power post is likely to get hot and trip. Those have to be reset manuallyfor safety so that you can just keep using too much power and restting until some wire gets melted down, etc.
There is also a 30 amp breaker in the RV for the main power and it then feeds other smaller breakers. If things are working right, a breaker is the first sign of using too much power and this type doesn't rest by itself and takes manual reset. One of the first things I might want to sort out is if it was a 110AC or a 12VDC problem?
There are two different groups that kind of have to do some thing alone but together for other things.

Things that take lots of power like air cond, microwave and the converter to make DC from the AC are all 110AC needs.
So there can be signs to pick up if we notince the right things. One way to tell the hsore power may have been a problem is if the microwave light went out or the air conditioner stopped!
But the inside lights vent fans and water pump should all be running on 12VDC, either from what the converter is putting out OR from power stored in the coach batteries!
So did you notice those 12VDC things stop?
Reason for the questions is that if those stopped because the converter failed or was weak, the battery should normall be okay to run them for several hours---if it was getting charged befrore the converter stopped!

But if lots of lights and vent fans, etc stop, it could be a loose wire from the batteries to the load center or where those items get their power.
The problem with sorting out an intermitant problem is that we have to catch it when it is failing to really test it right.

I normally expect a 110 AC problem to be bigger and we spot it easier or it tends to trip breakers, so we have to do something before it works again!

But batteries and getting them charged is one that can slip up on us and be a number of different things.
The converter CAN be a problem and not charge right. But it can also be something loose between the converter and batteries so the converter is working right but that power is not getting to the batteriesand they gradually go dead.

Things like dirty/corroded cables on the cables from the batteries to the breakers or fuses can can keep any power we stored in the batteries from getting to the things we want to use like the lights and water pump! It can also keep things like the air cond. from running even though it uses 110AC as the thermostat and controls use 12VDC!

See why I'm slow to recommend changing the converter? There are lots of small things that have to work and the converters are pretty sturdy and corrosion is a big thing that happens often!
Having newer batteries is a good step but then we often need to take some voltage reading at the batteries to see if they are getting at least 13 volts when we expect them to be charging! Then after we take the charging off for a few hours, we expect them to settle down and a fully charged lead acid type battery (normal?) will settle down to 12.7 or close.

If it is giving you trouble at some point, try to note what is failed and what might still be working. Is the 110AC like air conditioner working? Is the converter humming like it is getting the 110AC to make DC?
How about lights and vent fans or water pump? they are using 12volt only, so that can be a hint of which is failing to get it right!

Another trick to sort is that the chassis battery starts the RV engine and when it does, there is a solenoid that connects both battery groups together. So if the 12volt stuff is dead and you can still start the RV engine, the big old alternator there will take over and make the coach stuff work, even if the converter and coach batteries are totally out !

Personal note to keep secret?
I'm working on 80!

Maybe do some more looking/ thinking about what is happening before digging into the tough stuff!

Yes, you likely COULD cut the wires and reconnect them but I sure would hate to and it might just be something way easier??? Maybe look over the cables at the batteries and even down where there are some that go down to a metal plate on the frame for ground. That one can be sneaky as it is often down behind the batteries and out of sight if we don't look for it. The ground has to be good, too, so look there?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The slide worked fine the engine started fine the jacks worked fine but the 12 v stuff dead. The light on the microwave was lit up fine. Hmmm you got me thinking now. Thank you for your kindness oh converter wasn’t humming at all. 110 v were fine also. We are getting older we are just getting better my brother with age. Also when I started the engine no 12 v worked when I was still plugged in. But when I got home, plugged in everything worked
Old 08-14-2023, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you my friend, I will start tracing to see if I can narrow it down

Tags
converter