Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

House battery dead 2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F

I have a 2010 Itasca 37f on a worh house chassis and the house battery is dead. It has been plugged in to 50amp circuit at my home and under shelter. I do have the inverter to on position. Is this correct? It will start with the battery boost switch. Haven’t run it very long but will take it out as soon as weather is better and see if it charges via alternator. All on dash was turned off radio, backup camera and unplugged the cig light holder f chargier for phone. Am I supposed to have inverter on or off when MH not in use? .
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

2010 dead battery

Forgot to tell you it a work horse chassis
Old 06-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ok, sounds like something basic may be missing or the terms we use?

When plugged into shore power, there is a converter which should charge the coach or house batteries. those are the things that the RV has like inside lights, fans, etc. This converter is what should charge the coach batteries but it needs the coach battery disconnect left on to have cntact for charging?
So do you mean house batteries are deas as inside lights, etc not working? Remember to turn the disconnect swithc back on to get them to work!
That is where I may be seeing some confusion on what we are talking. No big deal, as long as we both talk the same!

When you push the boost switch, that will connect those coach batteries together with the chassis/start battery to help a weak start battery start the engine!
So what I'm getting at is that if the coach batteries are dead and you want to boost a weak start battery, tying them together is not going to help. We are not speaking quite the same somewhere?

I'll mention a few hangups that can catch us?
One is that the disconnect switches can mislead us as they actually DO NOT disconnect all the drains but leave a few nasty things that can drain either set of batteries if given time. On the coach we find things like CO and propane detectors as they are safety stuff.
On the start battery, there are smaller loads like if ther radio has station presets that it remembers or the steps if they have a light that stays on while the steps are out?

Then the inverter is a different piece used to make 110AC from using the coach batteries. Normally it should stay OFF until you get where you want the 110 AC power and do not want to run the generator or be plugged in. It will use some coach battery, even when there is nothing using the AC it is making. Inside parts stay warm and use battery!

Big points to watch? Both batteies can run down if not plugged in or something done to keep them charged! When plugged in the coach are usually the on ones charged, so the start may go down. Leave the coach battery disconnect on to keep the coach batteries charging but watch for the water running dry!
Some RV have an added par to "steal" some charge from the coach to the start batteries but many do not, so assume they will not charge from the RV being plugged in until you find different!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked the condition of the battery, meaning the water level and corrosion of the connectors?
Old 07-05-2023, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for long delay in replying. I assume the inverter is the converter? Right. Anyway I have had the inverter on on and the chassic battery disconnect to ON. the coach will not start ( nothing, no clicking or anything). The lights work when not on 50amp service. The cigarette lighter show 13.2 volts with the plug I have. I can use battery boost and she’ll fire right up. All batters are new and plenty of water. Wheee do I look now? Thxs
Old 07-05-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

for long delay in replying. I assume the inverter is the converter? Right. Anyway I have had the inverter on on and the chassic battery disconnect to ON. the coach will not start ( nothing, no clicking or anything). The lights work when not on 50amp service. The cigarette lighter show 13.2 volts with the plug I have. I can use battery boost and she’ll fire right up. All batters are new and plenty of water. Wheee do I look now? Thxs
Old 07-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On my 2011 37F (Ford F53 different chassis, same body) my “inverter” which uses the 12V DC source of the coach batteries to make 120v AC to feed a select few receptacles in the coach. It is mounted to the wall in the small cargo bay just to the right of the entry steps. My “converter” which uses the AC current form shore power and converts it to 12v DC to charge the coach batteries (mine has 2 coach batteries and 1chassis battery under the steps). My converter is located inside the vanity in the master bath on the right side behind the book rack.You remove 2 screws holding the book rack in to gain access. The converter does not charge your chassis battery when plugged into shore power, it’s only source for recharge is from the engine alternator. The best and easiest way to keep the chassis battery charged when setting is a smart trickle charger. Check water levels regularly.

Tags
battery, itasca, suncruiser