Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2024, 08:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Converter issues 2009 Vista 32

I'm plugged into shore power and my coach batteries are not getting charged. I don't know where the charger is located. Looked in owners manual etc
Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 08:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Battery disconnect is in the on position
Old 09-09-2024, 09:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I think I found the converter. Tucked inside/under pantry behind the load center. Great spot you dumb designers! I think I have to pull the whole load center out to get to it. Help!
Old 09-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good odds one can check it is working without getting into the converter itself.
I need to do some drawings check but I think there will be a few points in the load center where the output can be checked.
One point is the fuses for 12VDC. They are connected to the batteries and will have something less than 12.8 if they have not been charging. If above 12.8, they have been getting a charge recently. That charge can come from the engine alternator when driving or from the converter when plugged into power.

In either case, if you unplug or turn the coach battery disconnect switch off, the converter will be disconnected from the batteries. A voltage check and then plug or turn the battery disconnect back on should then show a higher voltage at the batteries if the converter charge is reaching them!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm not finding the good drawing picture to point to things but I think there will be a couple points inside the cover of the load center to check 110AC is getting tot he converter. They load centers are often set up with left side being 110AC and right the 12VDC after it comes out of the converter.
We can sometimes tell the AC is getting to the converter as we hear an "AC hum" from it?
If it is humming or you hear a small fan running, it is getting the AC to work.
But if neither of those, try testing for 110AC at two connections somewhere near the left side but exposed on the surface of the board! One ground, possibly bare wire(?) and the other 110AC coming in from the power cord.
If no AC there, look back toward the cord and there is likely a breaker or fuse tripped?
Are you 50 or 30 amp? this is the basic drawing but for 30 amp. If 50 look for a bit different but still a breaker for power converter!
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter AC.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	189857

If you have AC going in but no DC coming back, THEN you may need to dig the load center/converter out!

Good luck on the bug hunt!
Old 09-09-2024, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
I think I found the converter. Tucked inside/under pantry behind the load center. Great spot you dumb designers! I think I have to pull the whole load center out to get to it. Help!
That is pretty much ALWAYS where the Converter is located in all RVs. It is unusual if it’s not found there.

Also you titled this thread as an inverter/charger issue. Your RV, as you now know, has a Converter and not an inverter/charger. These are two distinctly different devices and you either have one or the other. It is possible to have a Converter and a totally separate Inverter, but they are two different devices and the inverter would not also be a charger. In an RV with a Converter it is always a charger.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-09-2024, 03:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. It turns out to just be the GFCI that controls the recep that the converter is plugged into was tripped. All good now!
Old 09-09-2024, 03:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Did not know inverters didn't charge. Thanks for the clarity on inv and conv
Old 09-09-2024, 03:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
Did not know inverters didn't charge. Thanks for the clarity on inv and conv
Some do… and some don’t.

For instance my Adventurer has an OEM inverter/charger. So, no Converter.

But many RVs do have Converters AND inverters (without chargers) to run small 110vac loads around the RV.

And, in that case, generally the inverter is not located behind the Power Center like the Converter almost always is.
Old 09-09-2024, 03:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

If one looks at the definition of the two, inverter only use Dc to make AC . Converter use AC to make DC.
But that is where the clear cut part begins to come apart as there are folks who tend to come up with new names for things and if it can make them sell better.
So we get all kinds of variety in the names.
Sometimes it is actually correct and they are just letting us know that there are different parts in one box. It may generate AC and also turn out DC.

I pretty much use converter and charger as the same because they do both make the DC to charge batteries and run the 12VDC system.
If there is also a portion if the unit that can use DC to make AC, then I'm okay with calling it an inverter charger or inverter converter as it does both!

I expect an inverter to use DC battery and only make AC.

But it is best to actually check what an item does before feeling too confident that the name really means what it says!

Marketing can be a deep dive into insanity!
Old 09-09-2024, 11:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I expect an inverter to use DC battery and only make AC.
Absolutely true Richard. An inverter inverts DC current to AC current. In the case of RVs usually it’s 12dc to 110vac.

But an Inverter/Charger is a totally different device with a separate AC to DC smart charger built into the inverter’s chassis.

It is also correct that a Converter just converts AC current into DC current. However, there are no Converters that also contain an inverter inside.

There’s no confusion or marketing mumble jumbo. Just different devices suited for different purposes.

Tags
converter