Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2024, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Inverter On/Off? 2022 Adventurer 35F

I should know the answer to this, but I'm a bit confused. 2022 Adventurer 35f, is there any reason to turn the inverter off other than storage?
My owners manuals seem to have conflicting instructions.
For example, if I'm running the generator, will I damage the inverter if it's on? Or vice versa?
Old 07-03-2024, 10:45 AM   #2
Site Team

As far as I know, when your inverter is <On>, all 120 VAC to the inverter-enabled outlets runs through the inverter, no matter if the Generator is running or not. As the inverter looses power due to transformer heat, I would only have it <On> when I actually need it.
Another reason to shut the inverter <Off> is you can draw more power from the outlet; either with Shore Power or Generator Power.
Eagle5
Old 07-03-2024, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

The reason the manual is kind of back and forth on this is because it's kind of up to you.

It does depend on your inverter. But most newer motorhome inverters, especially inverter/chargers, have a pass through feature. When on shore power or generator power all 110v simply passes through the inverter. The inverter doesn't do anything with it. There is no penalty to the inverter or the house batteries. And, your inverter outlets are not running on inverter when their is outside AC power available.

Why leave it on? Well, as a stop gap in case the shore/gen power were to stop for some reason. Then the inverter will automatically take over. Some folks like that fail safe.

Personally, I've turned the inverter on only when not on shore/gen power AND I've also turned it on and left it on for extended periods of time, as well.

When I turn it off while on shore power I have to remember to turn it back on before unplugging. Which I seem to be able to remember about 90% of the time. There are times I've thought I left it on but it was off and I'm surprised when I unplug and the fridge stops or the microwave goes dark.

So, Yes, turn it off when on shore/gen power. And Yes, it's fine to leave it on all the time while using the motorhome.
Old 07-04-2024, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
As far as I know, when your inverter is <On>, all 120 VAC to the inverter-enabled outlets runs through the inverter, no matter if the Generator is running or not. As the inverter looses power due to transformer heat, I would only have it <On> when I actually need it.
Another reason to shut the inverter <Off> is you can draw more power from the outlet; either with Shore Power or Generator Power.
Eagle5
Plus, an inverter is approx. 92% efficient, vs shore power @ 100%. I only turn in the inverter when dry-camping/boondocking.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Plus, an inverter is approx. 92% efficient, vs shore power @ 100%. I only turn in the inverter when dry-camping/boondocking.
The inverter is only inefficient when it is inverting 12vdc into 110v AC when there is no shore power available.

The OP's inverter has AC Pass-Thru. When on shore power or generator power there is no loss of efficiency when the inverter is ON because the 110v AC simply passes through the inverter 100% without any losses.

Folks with older, smaller or inverters without charging capabilities are the likely to want to keep inverters off when on Shore power or generator.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I look at the inverter as an option and when or how to leave it on, may be a more personal choice due to what you do with the RV. At times that decsison may change?

Inverter left on full time? It heats some components and maybe a bit of heat in the RV when not needed? When plugged into power, it really doesn't help much but that depends on how vital the 110AC items it powers?
Some situations may change what YOU want!

If you have AC items like CPAP, fans, (maybe the frig on ac?) that you want to keep running when campgrouind power might go out and you don't or can't run a generator, leaving the inverter on will cover you for that.
But the downside of that is it also opens up some possible problems if it goes too long, too much power is drawn out of the batteries and they go flat! That's kind of a strech to imagine for the sleeping situation but might be big in other situations?

Maybe you leave the RV for a long day and assume the 110AC will run the frig and you are also using small space heaters as it is very much cold winter out?
Darned if you do but possibly darned if you don't?
The power goes out and the inverter is off, so you lose the frig as well as potentially freezing a pipe or two?
The alternate is leaving the inverter on in the same situation and the inverter feeding the space heaters is drawing a LOT of power from the batteries and you get back after a long day and 110AC as well as 12VDC are both down and out?

It is my opinion that these are pretty extreme and not what we would expect to deal with in our travels but that is where the personal thing comes up! We don't go cold very often as we don't like it! We don't have any animals to leave in the RV that we need to protect. We rearely leave for more than 4-6 hours, so the battery usage is not a killer.
IF we did, we would opt to not use the alternator and space heaters but just use the furnace for heat and if the 110AC goes out, the furnace is not affected!

Perhaps a place to get more informed is looking carefully at what the inverter powers on YOUR RV as it can be different on any RV.
If you go here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Choose your specific RV down to the early or late build and then go to the 110AC drawings. Check label next to driver for serial number if not sure? On some Adventurer it is under this title:
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation/Diagram

Scroll down to about the last page and spot the inverter sub section!
That is like a main electrical box and has a main breaker fed by the inverter which is then broken down into the smaller breakers. If you get to the correct RV and drawing, you can then look at what is considered vital or optional in any situation.

Good idea to ask and guestion before needing the knowledge! Knowledge is power so, trying not to get caught short is always a good plan!
But there is no firm answer for all users that I can see.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, vent, adventurer