Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2024, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lost ALL Power in 2016 Vista LX 30T

Good morning. We arrived at the campground yesterday afternoon. After I came back from registering and went to start my motorhome and it was completely dead. Literally, no power to the coach no power to turn the motor no power at all. I checked as much as I could. Checked several fuses, the ones I was able to access and they all looked good. Don’t know what else to do. Anyone yave any ideas? I have a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
JoeLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 08:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some details will help.
When you say no power, does that mean no power to both the coach AND the start/chassis battery?
When you turn the key, no lights alarms or anything? No horn, no headlights? When you try the inside lights? Nothing?
Were you plugged into shore power and the battery cutoff switch/switches turned on?

Normally one system or the other is still alive as they are seperate full sytems until we want them connected!
How are you set up for tools to check things? A meter to test voltage is a really good thing to have along as it is the basic tool to check for things like lost AC power at the post and also to look at DC at the batteries.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A bad battery connection is high on the list. Repeating what Richard asked though, you said "no power to the coach". By this do you mean you also have no house power or did you mean "no power to the chassis"
Old 08-24-2024, 11:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Some details will help.
When you say no power, does that mean no power to both the coach AND the start/chassis battery?
When you turn the key, no lights alarms or anything? No horn, no headlights? When you try the inside lights? Nothing?
Were you plugged into shore power and the battery cutoff switch/switches turned on?

Normally one system or the other is still alive as they are seperate full sytems until we want them connected!
How are you set up for tools to check things? A meter to test voltage is a really good thing to have along as it is the basic tool to check for things like lost AC power at the post and also to look at DC at the batteries.

Never made it to the campsite. RV is at the campground parking lot. Yes no power anywhere chasis or coach. When I turn the ignition switch nothing happens not even dim dashboard.
Old 08-24-2024, 12:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Okay, bit of weird one!
But weird happens, so we need to look for a common item that would kill both coach and chassis power. That one thing is the ground as far as I can think of right now.

Do you have on hand any testing equipment that would show voltage of the batteries?

Assuming you may not, taking a look is about all you have left. Down and kind of below/behind the batteries there should be a buss bar attached to the frame of the RV. That has both the coach and chassis bettery negative/ground connections! You can follow the cables from either battery negative post down to the bar!

Click this snip for better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ground.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	189700

My best guess would be that the bar itself may have come loose from the frame. Since both chassis and coach are failed, this is one point which being open would open the path for both sets of batteries to work!

Possibly it was bolted on and they have dropped off?
The two systems are pretty well independant of each as fully functioning setups, able to work alone. So when both have failed, the one point I think of as common is this ground!

Point to keep in mind if stuck along the road? If you have something heavy duty like a jumper cable, running it from one of the battery negative to the a clean spot on the frame may get it going?
At least enough to get to somewhere better!

EDIT:
Looking closer, this bar may be different than what I thought. See the left wire in this drawing? It shows going to a ground bolt??? Make sure that other end is solid to ground as maybe that single wire came loose???
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 01:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your help Morich. The able was not disconnected but it was a little loose . I wiggled it a little and got power back. The plate is a little rusty so I will need fix that but your suggestion did work for at least getting power back! Thanks for your quick response and everyone elses as well!!

You all rock!!

Joe

Tags
power