Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2023, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Minnie 2201MB Solar, Battery, Generator

Greetings from the Mid-West!
So I have the 2201MB 2022 model with a single 190 watt panel and a basic controller. My real question is about my 30 amp shore power, will this be compatible with a 300Ah LiFePO4 battery?
I am planning a 12-13 week Alaska trip next summer 2024, and want to be able to boondock as much as possible. This summer upgrade projects are

2 - HQST 190W Solar panels, for 570W total Solar
1 - 300Ah LiFePO4 Battery
1 - Renogy 50 amp dc to dc / Solar Charge Controller
(Alternator/Solar)
Note: Will run #2 welding cable and 75amp plug
1 - Champion 4250 Watt Invertor Generator with Quiet Tech.
I will also be adding a 2000 Watt Inverter, but not sure if
I need one with a charger or not. Need to find out if my
existing shore power will work with a LiFePO4 battery.
Kodiak59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 11:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you’re gonna spend the bucks for all that stuff, you’d be short changing yourself if you don’t buy a charger upgrade or an inverter/charger. Although your stock charger can charge the LiFePo4 (slowly), it cannot charge it to 100% SOC. You could use solar to “top it off”, but you’ll become frustrated at having a battery that can’t reach its potential in order to support daily boondocking. If you’re planning on buying a 2000w inverter, might as well spend a few extra bucks and get a 2000w inverter/charger. You’ll actually save money because you then won’t have to buy a charger upgrade or a transfer switch. The three top brands of inverter/charger can all charge at 80amps or higher, and they all have features you can’t get with a separate inverter and charger, like load sharing.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM   #3
Site Team

While Jim is correct there are some important considerations.

Your rig is setup with a "Converter/Charger" and the Power Center is part of that device. It has all your 12v fuses and 110v circuit breakers. Shore power goes into your Converter on one side and directly supplies AC power to your appliances. It also goes to the converter which converts the 110vac to 12vdc. From there it connects directly to all your 12vdc loads and sends charging current to your batteries. As Jim says, the stock unit won't really do an adequate job of charging your LFP battery.

With an Inverter Charger, you'll have to dramatically change your electrical system so that shore power goes directly to your Inverter/Charger.

Then the Inverter's 110vac pass through has to be wired back to the 110v circuit breakers in your Power center. At the same time 12vdc from your batteries has to be wired back to the power center's fuses to supply all the 12v loads in your RV.

It's kind of like a heart transplant - only a power transplant.

So, the thing is, if you decide to go to an Inverter/Charger setup you will have to do some significant rewiring of the Power Center and connections to make this work. Certainly a doable project, but rather more difficult than simply upgrading the charger in the Converter and adding an non-charging inverter.

That's not to say that you shouldn't do it or that it's not a good idea. Only you can weigh the cost and the extra complexity and electrical wiring work over the relative simplicity of updating of your existing system.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, I think the alternator/solar charging will work for my Alaska trip, but it would be better to be able to charge from shore power. I can run a separate charger off the generator, I wonder if I could simply bypass or swap out the existing charger for a 30 amp 14.6 volt ac/dc charger? I appreciate the guidance and suggestions and still searching for the most efficient solution.
Thanks David
Kodiak59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator, solar